Recognized Resident
Valdamar Nishi

Re: Running Out Of Texture Memory

Reply to Marcus Hancroft - view message

I've had this problem for almost a year and I tried what you said... FINALLY my problem went away. I was crashing a dozen times a day and I only crashed once since and I believe it was for other reasons other the the texture cache.

Thanks for your post!

Resident
zORIE Zuhrah

Reply to Marcus Hancroft - view message

Thanks that worked for me :smileyhappy:

Resident
AnnabelleKarenina

Reply to Perrie Juran - view message

Glad to see others have had this issue as well cus it is making me so frustrated.  I keep playing with settings, trying everything: clean installs, texture cache clearing, and it just never ends.  That dreaded message the second you go somewhere.  It started with me with the Firestorm 4.4 release and was never a problem before.  I use a 10-month old uber happy mac with everything - but still.  Just can't figure out what settings.  I tried the unchecking the http thing and that helped a little but not much.  Funny thing is it is fine on the other viewers but I need Firestorm as I do photos and it is soo much better.  Uggh, oh wells.  Help?

Honored Resident
RedDaemons

The same to me! Clear the texture cache works!

Also I reduced texture memory to 352, just for security.

Thank you for this tip.

Honored Resident
AXLE Munro

Clearing the texture cache did not work for me. I think I started to get this problem after installation of Firestorm 4.4.0 or 4.4.2. It happens in Sims using a lot of RAM (memory). Lowering drastically the draw distance works, it reduces the memory usage and the message # textures discarded (...) is not coming any more. The reason is probably that less textures have to be loaded into RAM in that case, preventing the overflow. Anyway, this problem was not happening before and something has to be done in Firestorm (or Linden code). It sucks to be obliged to lower the performance at such extent.

Please continue to post your observations

Amanda Dench
Topics: 12

I have had this for a while now and its driving me nuts.  It got a lot worse since the latest FS update 4.4.2.  I have done everything that was requested and still the same.  :matte-motes-frown:

Honored Resident
Sparrow Tuqiri

[ Edited ]

I am also having this issue and has been troublesome for months.  Just in the past couple of weeks the problem has developed a rather irritating and fascinating twist.  After the message appears "# textures discarded due to insufficient memory 1 or 2 or 4 or 6" I either crash or get a flashing texture show on some items in my viewing range.  Random textures flash on mostly larger thinner prims.  I have tried all the above suggestions with no results.

I use a iMac   Processor Name:Intel Core i5 Processor Speed:2.66 GHz Number Of Processors:1 Total Number Of Cores: L2 Cache (per core):256 KB L3 Cache:8 MB ,Memory:8 GB

graphics::ATI Radeon HD 4850

Come on Lindens or someone.. There must be some sort of fix for this!  Please?

Honored Resident
AXLE Munro

Still the same here, no solution... Except reducing drastically the draw distance, which is very frustrating, and some textures are seen very flashy. It happens on some sims only though.

Resident
CooperStIves

I'm on a Macbook Pro, same issues with the texture dump and then crashing. Seems to be worse lately.

I believe this actually fried my motherboard. It overheated and I had to replace it. I tried the LL viewer the other day and it worked great. I far prefer Firestorm, but I guess I'll have to switch until someone figures this out. It's not worth another motherboard and I don't have the tech knowledge to figure it out.

Honored Resident
AXLE Munro

Reply to CooperStIves - view message

Cooper,

I don't see any technical reason that Firestorm viewer bugs could affect the hardware