Recognized Resident
Gonzo Tigerfish
0 Kudos

is there rain without particles

maybe like the multilayered mega prim. Like the ones used for fog and shadow?

or any other way to make rain effects without particles

0 Kudos

Re: is there rain without particles

Reply to Gonzo Tigerfish - view message

You could use an animated texture if you wanted it for a window or something of that nature.  If you want to make it rain on land though, particles are your only choice.

Photobucket
0 Kudos

AM Radio covered a sim with snow by gridding the area with flat megaprims on which he animated textures. It was a prim intensive solution (I'll guess a hundred or more prims in total), but very pleasant to watch.

I enabled anti-aliasing. Why is Snugs still here?
Please give generously to the McMasters Institute for the Advancement of Harmless Flirtation™.
0 Kudos

Reply to Madelaine McMasters - view message

Interesting solution if you have the prims to spare.

Photobucket
Peggy Paperdoll
Kudos: 843
0 Kudos

Reply to Amethyst Jetaime - view message

I'd have to see it but I wonder what the advantage would be over particles.

Curious Hazelnut
0 Kudos

Reply to Peggy Paperdoll - view message

Peggy Paperdoll wrote:

I'd have to see it but I wonder what the advantage would be over particles.

The only advantage I can think of is that you can arrange for the rain to stay outside all your buildings. Particle rain and snow seams to find all the leaks in the roof.

Porky Gorky
0 Kudos

Animated rain on layered prims is much more realistic than particles when you want rain around buildings and not in them. I've also used this effect inside buildings where I wanted it to rain inside and not out. I was building a rainforest inside an old church.

Advisor
Chosen Few
0 Kudos

I've got nothing substantial to contribute to this thread, but I did have to chime in to say I absolutely love the title.  "Is there rain without particles?"   I feel like it should be the title of a great work by a philospher poet, or a theoretical physicist, or both.

"It's a big universe. Everything happens somewhere."
- The Doctor
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Reply to Porky Gorky - view message

Porky Gorky wrote:

Animated rain on layered prims is much more realistic than particles when you want rain around buildings and not in them. I've also used this effect inside buildings where I wanted it to rain inside and not out. I was building a rainforest inside an old church.

AM Radio's prim based falling snow at "The Quiet" was lovely, and did not fall inside the cabin. By being a bit creative with the particle texture and emission pattern, you can keep rain out of buildings, I've constructed an emitter that drops a "sheet" of rain in front of my house.

For those who are interested, you can see it here...

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Forgotten%20City/178/210/35

If it's not raining or snowing in front of the lighthouse, just walk inside and touch the sunset photo hanging on the wall over the workbench. That will cycle through Off/Rain/Snow.

Please give generously to the McMasters Institute for the Advancement of Harmless Flirtation™.
0 Kudos

Reply to Chosen Few - view message

Chosen Few wrote:

I've got nothing substantial to contribute to this thread, but I did have to chime in to say I absolutely love the title.  "Is there rain without particles?"   I feel like it should be the title of a great work by a philospher poet, or a theoretical physicist, or both.

Is the rain in Spain mainly in the euclidian plane?