Honored Resident
Conner Drezelan
0 Kudos

Blender Plugins

Im trying to find what plug ins I need for blender for sculpties,all I see is the primm star folks spamming all over saying buy primm star,I do not want to buy or pay for anything I can install them myself.....just need the links or the forum link to what one's I need

thx

Dilbert Dilweg
Kudos: 303
0 Kudos

Re: Blender Plugins

[ Edited ]

Reply to Conner Drezelan - view message

If you are going to sculpt sculpties you may as well just use mesh, sculp in mesh. Export as collada.dae without purchasing anything...

Luc Starsider
0 Kudos

Perhaps this will help: http://www.masterprim.com/blender-modeling/sculpted-prim-blender/quick-setup-sculpty-blender.php

But as Dilbert says, why not look into creating and importing mesh objects to SL? More info here: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Mesh

- Luc -

Need a laugh? Watch this.
Honored Resident
Azaiya Aeon
0 Kudos

So am I to understand that sculpties are made obsolete by mesh? Do they have any value still?

Dilbert Dilweg
Kudos: 303
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Reply to Azaiya Aeon - view message

They are not obsolete. But I can't see making a scultie after doing all that work when I can make it a mesh object which is probably more efficient with detail when the model is concerned

Honored Resident
Conner Drezelan
0 Kudos

true on the mesh but a scuplt map only cost 10 lindens..mesh well more then 10

Luc Starsider

ONE sculptmap cost 10 lindens. Often times, an object require you to use several sculpties.

How much a mesh object cost depends on how complex it is. Some can very little, but some cost more. Overall, I don't think you have to spend that much more when building mesh objects than sculptie objects. It's all dependent on how efficient you make the mesh.

- Luc -

Need a laugh? Watch this.
Honored Resident
Azaiya Aeon
0 Kudos

I haven't spent more than $30L on any mesh model I've uploaded so far (mostly attachments/clothing items). The average I've spent is about $23L, and the models are fairly detailed.

what about rendering cost? i'd suspect that mesh is a lot heavier on others viewers than sculpties?

Advisor
Kwakkelde Kwak
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Reply to Azaiya Aeon - view message

Azaiya Aeon wrote:

what about rendering cost? i'd suspect that mesh is a lot heavier on others viewers than sculpties?

You couldn't be more wrong, well in principle. It comes down to the builder in question. If you have a good or at least descent builder, rendering cost of mesh will be a fraction of a sculpt equivalent in almost all cases. If you do your best you can make some really terrible objects in mesh though, but you'd have to do that on purpose or just be a really terrible (or inexperienced) builder.

With sculpts you're bound by a given number of faces, most of which you don't need or even want. With mesh you have full control over that number, not to mention you have full control over the LoD models.

Sculpts are lag hell:smileyhappy:

"The superior man understands what is right; the inferior man understands what will sell."
Confucius

Rolig Loon
0 Kudos

Sculpties are not obsolete, although mesh is more versatile and, as others have pointed out, more efficient.  If you really want to make sculpties, though, you don't need to pay anything for the Blender plug-in.  Use JASS-2, which includes Blender, Primstar, Python, and is all set for easy upload to SL.  The basic version is free and quite serviceable.  The Pro version is less than $10 US, as I recall.  See http://blog.machinimatrix.org/jass/ for more information.

Not as dumb as I look