A Forum Dwellers Party Redux - Hippiestock 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4118 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

valerie Inshan wrote:

Hippie Bowman wrote:

I have my outfit!  60s Military Fatigues with Hippy Patches!  Here is the link. 

H3 clothes_002.png

Peace!

I have my outfit too. But I wont show it before the party.
:P

(You look great, btw!)

Thank you Val!  Hugs!

Hey all you Hippies!  Here is some info on the original Woodstock.

Woodstock was the pop culture music event of the decade and arguably to this day the single most profound event in the history of music. Acts from all around the world met at Max Yasgur's  Farm in Bethel, NY on August 15-18, 1969 for a celebration of peace and music. What began as a paid event drew so many viewers from across the world that the fences were torn down and it became a free concert open to the public. 500,000 youthful individuals gathered peacefully at Woodstock 1969 creating the largest gathering of human beings in one place in history. Woodstock 1969 defined an entire generation and its effects on music and American culture can still be felt today.

Woodstock '69 featured one of the most prolific musical lineups in history including such icons as Jimi Hendrix, Jamos Joplin, Joe Cocker, Santana, and The Who. Fans got a taste of a variety of music styles which came together in perfect harmony. The crowd at Woodstock in 1969, which reached near a half a million people sent a message to the world that individuals could come together peacefully to celebrate peace and music.

Such an extravagant event warranted the production of an academy award winning documentary of Woodstock 1969  and a number of popular Woodstock film and album releases. The Woodstock 1969 poster  has come to be one of the most famous images in American culture as well as a symbol of peace. Hollywood movies are still being made to celebrate the event such as Taking Woodstock, the story of Elliot Tiber.

The music at Woodstock in 1969 embodied extraordinary popular acts from all over the world. Legendary performances by such music icons as Jimi Hendrix, Joan Baez, Joe Cocker, Santana, the Greatful Dead and Janis Joplin are still considered landmarks in music history. Woodstock in 1969 was also among the last performances of Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin who are seen as some of the best in their respective fields. The entire psychedelic music vein became popularized at Woodstock 69 and still influences bands of all ages to this day.

Hippie is a term that has not diminished in popularity or as a subculture to this day. The youth of the 1960's all came together with similar ideals and became the most popular counterculture archetype. The hippie culture shook the foundation of conformity to its core, reports of attempts to disperse the half a million individuals have been surfacing ever since the event. Individuals able to organize in that magnitude for a common interest was something that those in power were absolutely terrified of and had every right to be. Had Woodstock 1969's focus turned from music to revolution, the world would be an entirely different place today.

After Woodstock 1969, the name "Woodstock" became a very profitable brand name. The concert was initially designed as a money making endeavor.  Woodstock Ventures ended up going far into the basement monetarily after the concert, but eventually recovered and became the corporate enterprise that it is known as today. The recent installments have been seen as corporatized disasters; however, the impact of the initial event is still so profound to this day that anything with the Woodstock brand tacked onto it draws a large amount of attention. Woodstock 1969 has since been a household name and integrated into mainstream American living.

Here is some info about 1969.

Cost of Living 1969

How Much things cost in 1969
Yearly Inflation Rate USA 5.46 %
Yearly Inflation Rate UK 5.6%
Year End Close Dow Jones Industrial Average 800 Average Cost of new house $15,550.00 Average Income per year $8,550.00 Average Monthly Rent $135.00 Average Cost New Car $3,270.00 Toyota Corona $1,950.00 Gas per Gallon 35 cents Alarm Clock from Westclox $9.98
Below are some Prices for UK guides in Pounds Sterling
Average House Price 4,640 Gallon of Petrol 6 shillings 2 pence or 31 new pence

What Events Happened in 1969

U.S.

• Richard Nixon becomes President of the United States

Moon Landing

• The first man is landed on the moon on the Apollo 11 mission by the United States and Neil Armstrong and Edwin 'Buzz' Aldrin became the first humans to set foot on the Moon. and the famous words "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind." will become part of our history

More Information and Timeline For The First Man On The Moon
1. 1961 May 25th President Kennedy asks Congress for $531 million to put a man on the moon before the end of the decade
2. 1963 June 16th Russians put the first woman in space on the Vostok 6
3. 1965 March 18th First space walk by the Russian cosmonaut Alexey Leonov from the Voskhod 2
4. 1966 March 16th first docking of two spacecraft Gemini 8 Commanded by Neil Armstrong docks with unmanned Agena Target Vehicle
5. 1968 December 24th Apollo 8, was the first human space flight to leave Earth orbit and enter a different orbit around the moon.
6. 1969 July 16th Apollo 11 Launched from the Kennedy Space Center Launch Complex 39 in Merritt Island, Florida carrying Neil A. Armstrong ( Commander ) Michael Collins ( Command Module Pilot ) and Edwin "Buzz" E. Aldrin, Jr. ( Lunar Module Pilot )
7. July 19th Apollo 11 passed behind the Moon and fired its service propulsion engine to enter lunar orbit.
8. July 20th Lunar module (LM) Eagle ( Neil A. Armstrong and Edwin "Buzz" E. Aldrin, Jr. ) separated from the command module Columbia ( Michael Collins ) .
9. July 20th Lunar module (LM) Eagle lands on the moons surface in the Sea of Tranquillity
10. July 21st Neil Armstrong stepped off Eagle's footpad and uttered his famous line "That's one small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind " Edwin 'Buzz' Aldrin joined him, describing the view as "Magnificent desolation."
11. July 21st Lunar module (LM) Eagle leaves the moons surface to rendezvous with Columbia
12. July 24th The command module Columbia carrying the 3 astronauts splashed down in the Pacific Ocean
Estimates put the number who watched or listened to the Moon landing between 1/2 and 1 billion people around the world ( From Webmaster I consider myself privileged to have watched and listened to Neil A. Armstrong's famous words "That's one small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind " ) . For Information for the Space Race 1957 to 1961 Space Race Timeline,

Space

• Charles "Pete" Conrad and Alan Bean of Apollo 12 land on the Moon to become the second set of American astronauts to walk on the moons surface.

Significant Live Music Events in 1969

• Woodstock attracts more than 350,000 rock-n-roll fans, Atlanta International Pop Festival on 4th July attracts 100,000 fans, Isle of Wight Festival attracted an audience of approximately 150,000

More Information and Timeline For Significant Music Events in 1969
1. January 30th The Beatles, with Billy Preston, gave their final live performance on the roof of the Apple building in London, England, the live performance was an impromptu event that ran for 42 minutes featuring Get Back, I Want You (She's So Heavy), Don't Let Me Down, I've Got A Feeling, One After 909, Danny Boy, Dig A Pony, God Save The Queen and A Pretty Girl Is Like A Melody later featured as the climax of their Let It Be film
2. March 25th to March 31st Following The Marriage of John Lennon and Yoko Ono on March 20th in Gibralta they hold a week-long Bed-In for Peace at the Amsterdam Hilton Hotel inviting the world's press into their hotel room every day between 9 a.m. and 9 p.m
3. July 4th Atlanta International Pop Festival attracted an audience of approximately 100,000 to watch 16 performers including Janis Joplin, Johnny Rivers, Blood, Sweat & Tears, Canned Heat, Joe Cocker, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Sweetwater and Led Zeppelin
4. August 15th to 18th The Woodstock Festival attracted an audience of approximately 500,000 to watch 35 performers including Ravi Shankar, Joan Baez, Santana, Grateful Dead, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Janis Joplin with The Kozmic Blues Band, Sly & the Family Stone, The Who, Jefferson Airplane, Joe Cocker, The Band, Blood, Sweat & Tears, Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young and Jimi Hendrix at White Lake, New York, U.S.A.
5. August 30th and 31st Isle of Wight Festival attracted an audience of approximately 150,000 to watch 26 performers including Bob Dylan, The Who, Blonde On Blonde, Joe Cocker, The Moody Blues and Free at Wootton, Isle Of Wight, England
6. September 13th Toronto Rock and Roll Revival attracted an audience of approximately 20,000 to watch 20 performers including Chicago, Alice Cooper, Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis, Gene Vincent, Little Richard, Doug Kershaw and The Doors, Screaming Lord Sutch and John Lennon, Yoko Ono and The Plastic Ono Band at at Varsity Stadium, of the University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
7. December 6th Altamont Speedway Free Festival attracted an audience of approximately 300,000 to watch 10 performers including The Rolling Stones, Santana, Jefferson Airplane, The Flying Burrito Brothers, and Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young at Altamont Speedway, California, U.S.A. The concert is best known for having been marred by considerable violence caused by alcahol and drugs including by the Hells Angels motorcycle club who were used for security round the stage.
1969 provided so many significant live music events that I thought they should be included in a Music Timeline for the year, I hope you enjoyed taking the trip in time and memories that the timeline provides

U.S.

• 250,000 march on Washington in protest at the Vietnam War

UK

• RMS Queen Elizabeth 2 entered service

Israel

• Golda Meir of Milwaukee,   Wisconsin  , USA, becomes Prime Minister of Israel

UK

• Robin Knox-Johnston becomes the first person to sail around the world solo without stopping

U.S.

• The US institutes the draft lottery to determine draft into US Forces for Vietnam War

U.S.

• The very first U.S. troop withdrawals are made from Vietnam

U.S.

• Public Broadcasting Service (PBS) Established

U.S.

• Police raid Stonewall Inn on June 28th a gay club located in New York City ending The Stonewall Riot.

U.S.

• Chappaquiddick Affair Senator Edward Kennedy driving a car plunges into a pond and a body of a woman passenger is found in the car

Biafra

• Civil war in Biafra leaves 3 million starving and needing international aid.

U.S.

• Members of a cult led by Charles Manson murder five people August 9th

U.S.

• Hurricane Camille hits the Mississippi coast killing 248 people

Northern Ireland

• Britain deploys troops in Northern Ireland following increasing violence

Libya

• Bloodless Coup in Libya deposing King Idris

Australia

• Australian light aircraft carrier HMAS Melbourne slices the destroyer USS Frank E. Evans in half killing 82 of her crew

U.S.

• Wal-Mart incorporates as Wal-Mart Stores, Inc

U.S.

• The trial begins of "Chicago Seven" accused of inciting riot at 1968 Democratic National Convention

France

• Charles de Gaulle Resigns as French President

Italy

• A bomb is exploded in a bank in Milan, Italy

World

• Rising Inflation is a worldwide problem

UK

• The Death Penalty is Abolished in the UK

U.S.

• Atlanta International Pop Festival on 4th July attracts 100,000 fans

U.S.

• Woodstock attracts more than 350,000 rock-n-roll fans

U.S.

• The US Supreme Court rules on Stanley v. Georgia declaring "The State may not prohibit mere possession of obscene materials for personal use".

U.S.

• Militant black students at Cornell University in Ithaca, New York use force to take over Willard Straight Hall demanding a black studies program.

U.S.

• Police forces in the United States crack down on student protests

U.S.

• The U.S. Air Force closed its Project ( Blue Book ) concluding there was no evidence of UFO's

Technology

• First Concorde test flight is conducted In France
  • First transplant of human eye
  • Seiko sells the first Quartz Watch
  • The Harrier Jump Jet enters service with the RAF
  • The Palestine Liberation Organization ( PLO ) is founded
  • The first automatic teller machine ATM or Cash Machine is installed in the United States
  • Creation of ARPANET, the predecessor of the Internet
  • The Boeing 747 jumbo jet makes its debut. It carried 191 people, most of them reporters and photographers, from Seattle to New York City.
  • UNIX is developed by a group of AT&T employees at Bell Labs
  • The Pontiac Firebird Trans Am the epitome of the American muscle car is introduced.
  • The Microprocessor ( a miniature set of integrated circuits ) is invented opening the way for the computer revolution that followed

Inventions Invented by Inventors and Country ( or attributed to First Use )
Internet USA US military
Manned Moon Landing USA Neil Armstrong and Edwin Aldrin walk on Moon
CCDs USA Charge Coupled Device - to capture image
Cash Dispenser Turkey by Luther Simjian
Battery Powered Smoke Detector USA

Popular Culture 1969

• A free concert organized by the Rolling Stones is held at Altamont Speedway in Livermore, Calif with problems caused by the use of Hells Angels as Bouncers resulting in a number of deaths
  • The Groundbreaking TV programme Monty Python's Flying Circus is shown for the first time and the catch phrase "And now for something completely different," becomes their trade mark
  • Sesame Street known for its Muppet characters, makes it's debut on PBS
  • Bell Bottom Jeans and tie-dye shirts become part of the teenage fashion scene.
  • The John Lennon Album "Two Virgins" featuring John Lennon and Yoko Ono in the nude are confiscated at Newark Airport
  • The Beatles' last public performance, on the roof of Apple Records.
  • The Beatles release their album Abbey Road.
  • Sesame Street debuts on Public Television
  • Brian Jones Former Rolling Stones Guitarist drowns after drinking and drugs binge.

Popular Films

• The Love Bug
  • Funny Girl
  • Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
  • True Grit
  • Midnight Cowboy
  • Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
  • Easy Rider
  • Where Eagles Dare

Popular Musicians

• The Rolling Stones " Honky Tonk Woman "
  • James Brown
  • The Beatles with " Get Back and Come Together "
  • Johnny Cash " Daddy Sang Bass "
  • Bob Dylan
  • Crosby, Stills and Nash
  • Creedence Clearwater Revival
  • John Denver
  • Simon and Garfunkel
  • Fleetwood Mac
  • Marvin Gaye
  • The Jimi Hendrix Experience
  • Cream
  • Pink Floyd
  • " In The Year 2525 " by Zager and Evans
  • " Sugar Sugar " by The Archies
  • Elton John
  • David Bowie

Check out our TV Shows From The 60s whenever possible we have included a trailer to jog your memory. Series trailers and more information are found on the decade they started.

Born This Year 1969

Catherine Zeta-Jones News And Events From September 25th
Brett Favre This Day In History October 10th
Renee Zellweger News And Events From April 25th
Jennifer Aniston This Day In History February 11th

Major World Political Leaders 1969

Australia Prime Minister John Gorton Brazil President Costa e Silva Till 31 August
Brazil President Military Joint Tri From 31 August
Brazil President Military Joint Tri Till 30 October
Brazil President Emilio Medici From 30 October
Canada Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau

China Chairman of the People's Republic of China Song Qingling

France President Charles de Gaulle Till 28 April
France President Georges Pompidou From 20 June
Germany Chancellor Kurt Georg Kiesinger Till 21 October
Germany Chancellor Willy Brandt From 21 October
India Prime Minister Indira Gandhi

Italy Prime Minister Mariano Rumor

Japan Prime Minister Eisaku Sato Mexico President Gustavo Díaz Ordaz Russia / Soviet Union
First Secretary of the CPSU Leonid Brezhnev South Africa Prime Minister Balthazar Johannes Vorster United States President Lyndon B. Johnson Till January 20,
United States President Richard Nixon From January 20,

United Kingdom Prime Minister Harold Wilson

Well, Hippiestock 3 takes place on the 19th of January!  Don't miss it!

H3 2.jpg

Peace!

blueeyes1226 wrote:

Definitely plan on attending for as long as I can... Internet here seems to be a bit flaky.. Last years was great  THIS years is going to be Super as well Hugs and Peace to  all

Hugs right back at you blue! Looking forward to seeing you there! :smileyhappy::heart:

I can't wait! Hippie, can you post a schedule of the entertainment? I'm sure there is one out there but I'm too lazy to dig it up. I'll be logging in from the Bahamas (I'm here for work, honest!) and since tomorrow is my only free day while here, I want get to the beach and stuff too... but I want to plan it around what's going on at Hippiestock. :)

Quinn Morani wrote:

I can't wait! Hippie, can you post a schedule of the entertainment? I'm sure there is one out there but I'm too lazy to dig it up. I'll be logging in from the Bahamas (I'm here for work, honest!) and since tomorrow is my only free day while here, I want get to the beach and stuff too... but I want to plan it around what's going on at Hippiestock.
:)

Far out Quinn!  Here is the Lineup!

Hippie 9AM

Bluemonk Rau 10AM

Naz 11AM

Shannon Oherlihy 12PM

Songbird1028 Sorbet 1PM

Dann Numbers 2PM

Groovy!  See you there Quinn!

Peace!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4118 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.