MP items and cancelled account?

danikristine

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3852 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello,

How long will MP items be kept on the MP after someone cancels their account?

The reason i'm asking is: I came upon a MP store of someone, but obviously their inworld account is gone. But i was still able to buy their things lol...

Will those items stay on MP forever then? Or are they being removed after some time?

Dani

In the days of the Magic Box as the delivery vehicle, a merchant had to minimally be renting or paying tier on at least a tiny bit of land to have the box rezzed, or have a friend keeping it on her land as a courtesy.  One of the reasons that was given often on the forums for why Direct Delivery would be a better system is that it would clear out multitudes of "stale items" - items that were in the MP after the merchant left SL.

Again, with the MB there had to be an in world rezzed box...somewhere.  With DD and the items being delivered "from the cloud" - once uploaded it theoretically doesn't matter if the merchant continues in SL or not ad infinitum so this method actually has a greater propensity for stale MP items once it builds up again over time.

Note:  This is not an argument against DD, I'm comfortable with it now. ;)  This also does not take into account the MB's still needed for unique, no-copy items.

As Freya said, we have no idea how LL actually handles uploaded MP items that are left by a merchant no longer in SL.

danikristine wrote:

Hello,

The reason i'm asking is: I came upon a MP store of someone, but obviously their inworld account is gone. But i was still able to buy their things lol...

Will those items stay on MP forever then? Or are they being removed after some time?

Dani

I belive you can get your account back up to a year after cancelling it, so i would guess untill that grace period ends.

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

danikristine wrote:

Hello,

Dani

I belive you can get your account back up to a year after cancelling it, so i would guess untill that grace period ends.

First, @ the OP, how do you know they have cancelled their account?

@ Drake:  There is no time limit on getting an account restored, no type of grace period, etc.  But whether it be after one day or after ten years, LL makes no guarantee that your inventory will still be intact. 

Perrie Juran wrote:

Well, for one thing on the web profile it says "Name unavailable"... And then i was checking in some of the groups she's in, her name doesn't show up there either.

So i figure her account must be cancelled, or maybe suspended for some reason.

danikristine wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Well, for one thing on the web profile it says "Name unavailable"... And then i was checking in some of the groups she's in, her name doesn't show up there either.

It does become an interesting question, one which as others stated, only a Linden could really answer.

This may be a situation that was not planned for by LL when setting up the Market Place.

A suspended or cancelled account is technically not "deleted" from the data base.  As I understand it in the early days of SL it was discovered that because of the way "creations" are associated with an account, deleting the account caused problems for any one the creator gave or sold copies to.  The content would disappear from those other users inventory.  Hence, cancelled or suspended accounts are placed in some kind of Limbo.

Still, to get a definitive answer, you'd have to get a Linden to reply.  That may fall under the category "Miracles."

danikristine wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

I have gotten the Name Unavailable response when looking people up that I know for a fact are still active in SL and whose profile does turn up if you search for it a different day.  I notice it particularly when searching on the web page and not so much inworld.  I think it is a glitch of some kind.  So you can't go by this.

Accounts also live forever now, unless the owner actively terminates it or LL suspends it.  If someone were leaving SL forever, logically they would pull their market place stuff down before they terminated their account.  But a lot of people no longer log in on a regular basis yet keep their MP stores running so they can return to cash out once in a while.

lol... no i dont think they have me blocked, they dont even know me ;)

Well, their name doesn't show up in search either, so i guess their account is atleast "deactivated".

I am not sure if i am allowed to post a link to their mp store... But if you want to check it out:

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/82899

Their stuff is still there as of today. Oh well, i think i should talk to a Linden, they would know for sure.

edited: I just talked to a Linden... and they said, the items will remain on the MP for the first 60 days, and some time after that the inventory will start depleting. Thats when the items on MP will become unavailable.

So now we know :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3852 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.