10 Item Limit on Shopping Cart?

Nefertiti Nefarious

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4771 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I think it is a good thing actually because when you log in later so many windows pop up you can easily click on "decline" instead of "accept", especially if you receive notecards or group notices all at the same time.

You are not limited to 10 items per day! You can buy 10 by 10 as many times as you want.

I'm yet to understand the purpose for the shopping cart at all. (>_<)

Retail websites have a shopping cart function to avoid multiple charge fees by the credit card banks and to consolidate entire orders into one shipping arrangement. (=_=)

With the Marketplace being in a L$ economy and no physical shipping at all, it's little more than a waste of clicks. (=_=)

Marketplace purchases requiring more than the click of a single button is simply bad UI design. (>_<)

nothing wrong with 10 items if it worked 100% of the time with zero failed deliveries but it's nothing like that every part failed delivery i've seen in my sales history has 3 or more items in the buyers total transaction with a min of 1 failed delivery and that number rises the nearer you get to or on the 10 item limit. it may be more time and effort but buying one at a time seems to be the best way to minimize failures 

the only reason i use the cart is to compare items when i am shopping for a certain thing..i will go for a certain item and then hit my search and just run down the list ..if something catches my eye that i may like. i will put it in my cart  then keep shopping down the list..

once i have 10 i will compare which ones i want to keep out of those..toss out the ones that i don't want  and then buy the rest..then head back to the list to rinse and repeat lol

it saves me time on back tracking..

myself i haven't had any failures yet..but i am sure i will..I like the cart but i don't always use it..mostly demos and things to check out the product before i go and get the real thing i am gonna spend  my money on..

George Orellana wrote:

Why not? I wish they did away with the dumb shopping cart in the first place. That shopping cart is the reason for most failed deliveries that occur in the market place.

:smileyvery-happy: Yep! I just had one!

Ordered on April 04, 2011
Order Status: Delivery Failed
Details: An error has occured with your order.
1 item has not yet been delivered
This item is queued for delivery. Merchants cannot redeliver the item at this time, and have not been paid. If the item is not delivered within 8 hours after purchase, you will automatically receive a refund to your account. If you make a purchase while the transaction is in progress, the refund credit may be applied to your next order.

Argus Collingwood wrote:

Always stop before gettong 10 items in your cart. All of my "failed" delivery notices occur on orders having 10 items in the cart. Number Nine, Number Nine:smileywink:

Lol Argus, this purchase was Number One Number One, not even in a shopping cart!!! :smileytongue:

Imnotgoing Sideways wrote:

I'm yet to understand the purpose for the shopping cart at all. (>_<)

Retail websites have a shopping cart function to avoid multiple charge fees by the credit card banks and to consolidate entire orders into one shipping arrangement. (=_=)

With the Marketplace being in a L$ economy and no physical shipping at all, it's little more than a waste of clicks. (=_=)

Marketplace purchases requiring more than the click of a single button is simply bad UI design. (>_<)

Just playing devil's advocate for a moment but, by the same logic, if you want to buy 10 items isn't it better to be able to buy then with a couple of clicks rather than 10 individual clicks. Wouldn't having to buy them with 10 individual clicks be "a waste of clicks" too? There is still the 'buy now' option for people who just want to buy a single item, but the cart option is great if you are buying lots in one go. I will agree though that for both options there is perhaps a click too many.

As far as failed deliveries as a result of using the cart, all I can say is that I've probably used the cart somwhere in the region of 50 times since it's inception. I've never had a single failed delivery! Now, I know some people do have failed deliveries and I'm in no way trying to rub it in! I am however saying that, in my experience, there is not intrinsically a problem with the cart itself. The fact that we often see people taking about failed deliveries is, I suspect, more to do with the fact that people are using the marketplace and the cart more.

The reason for the failure probably lies in one of the factors that have always caused failures, such as lag on the sim where the delivering Magic Box is, for example. If someone is using the cart to buy ten items they potentially have as much chance of seeing a failed delivery as they did over 10 different purchases when just "buying now". I suspect the cart is having the desired effect in that it is encouraging people to buy more - it's just that in buying more people are potentially likely to see a failed delivery more often!

That doesn't mean that LL shouldn't work to eliminate failed deliveries altogether though! It's just that I don't personally see the cart as a direct cause of failed deliveries and the work needs to be concentrated on the delivery process itself (which is hopefully happening as LL seem to be slowly moving closer to the promised aim of a direct inventory to inventory transfer system for marketplace purchases :) )

Suella, how do you justify the fact that in Xstreet I had twice the amount of sales per month (all my avis combined) and yet experienced zero, nada, zilch amount of failed deliveries, with magic boxes placed in laggy sims, non-laggy sims, and every type of sim environment available. Yet now I have half as many sales per month (all my avis combined) and I get minimum of 5 to 10 failed deliveries per month, and each failed delivery is tied to the use of the shopping cart? How do I know the failed delivery was part of a shopping cart purchase? because the order history tells you. 

George Orellana wrote:

Suella, how do you justify the fact that in Xstreet I had twice the amount of sales per month (all my avis combined) and yet experienced zero, nada, zilch amount of failed deliveries, with magic boxes placed in laggy sims, non-laggy sims, and every type of sim environment available. Yet now I have half as many sales per month (all my avis combined) and I get minimum of 5 to 10 failed deliveries per month, and each failed delivery is tied to the use of the shopping cart? How do I know the failed delivery was part of a shopping cart purchase? because the order history tells you. 

I can't justify it, nor would I try to. Something must be causing those problems for you. It's perfectly feasible that the cart could be part of the problem you are experience, but what I'm saying is that, based on my own observations, I simply can't see how the cart system alone is the intrinsic cause of delivery failures.

I'm not exactly the worlds biggest shopaholic, but I shop enough and regularly use the cart, including the maximum of 10 items on a number of occassions. I'm not exactly setting the world on fire with my sales as a merchant either, but I sell enough to get by. I've yet to see one single failed delivery either while shopping or through my sales. I stress again - I'm not saying that in a dismissive nature to those who are experiencing delivery problems. I'm saying it to point out that the cart can't be intrinsically flawed. If it were, i'd have expected to see failures myself by now. Unless, of course, I'm the luckiest peson in the world and every else but me is having problems. Much as I'd love that (it might mean I have a chance of winning the lottery :smileyvery-happy:) I don't think I am that lucky!

I want LL to make the marketplace better and I want them to make it so that delivery failures never happen (or at least don't happen 99.9% of the time) I want them to look and and address the right things though. I don't think looking at the cart alone is the right thing - I think they need to be looking at the delivery process more holistically. 

There's also an interesting comment from the old merchant roundtable forum by Dakota Linden here which adds a whole new dimension. (whcih hopefully you can read - its now in the archive and is hopefully readable by all) - 

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Merchants-roundtable-issues/I-FIGURED-IT-OUT/td-p/433693/page/2#M10334

She gives some interesting background into the delivery process and, of particular importance to this topic is the following comment from Dakota:

"There is one really big thing to keep in mind though. Delivery issues on the new Marketplace are less than .5% of all sales.  The Xstreet Marketplace had a 1% failed delivery rate. The biggest difference between the two? Volume.  The sheer number of sales through the new Marketplace drawfs anything that was ever seen on the old Xstreet SL web site.   So the new Marketplace has a better delivery rate than the old Xstreet Marketplace."

That was written near the end of November last year, so things could have changed, but the suggestion is that back then delivery failures had decreased since the advent of the new Marketplace. However, because the number of sales on the new marketplace vastly increased compared to Xstreet, delivery failures appeared more prominent simply because there are so many more transactions going on.

I have no idea what the actual figures are, but lets say for the sake of argument that Xsteet had 1000 sales a day and the new marketplace has 10,000. One percent of 1000 would be 10. So that would be 10 people a day who had delivery failures. 0.5% of 10,000 would be 50. So that's 50 people a day experiencing delivery problems. So the reason why it appears that delivery failures are a major problem with lots of people experiencing them could be a result of vastly more people using the new marketplace even though in percentage terms, the failure rate has gone down.

Of course, none of that actual means the problem should be ignored. 50 failures a day is still bad even if there are 9,950 successful ones. So LL still need to be investigating and trying to make the failure rate 0.01%, but I want them to look at the big picture rather than concentrating on one small factor in the chain like the cart system which, in my opinion, is a great feature that makes shopping a heck of a lot easier.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4771 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.