Are you friend material? Sign up now!

83457point1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4011 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi everyone,

I came here looking for possible friends. I've been in SL for a very long time with a very long list of contacts. I never speak to any of them (I just can't refuse when someone sends a random friend request) and it seems hard to make any actual friends here to hang out with and such. Thought I'd give it a shot here, so if anyone's interested in being friends (and just friends as I'm in a relationship) or even being part of a family, feel free to hit me up in-world.

Oh and, a little about me: I enjoy 80's music, beaches (rl and sl), good conversation, and meeting with people from all over the world. Life is a constant learning process, and I believe that every person who enters our lives teaches us something new, so let's learn from each other. Also, Monkey Island is the best game in history.

Thanks for reading

Guybrush (83457point1 Resident)

83457point1 wrote:

I never speak to any of them

You know, this is starting to irritate me more and more, please don`t be offended as it`s not aimed at you only.

Every time people come over here and ask to find friends, great!

Now here is my issue:

Every now and then, i actually start a conversation with some one who is seeking some companionship and usually the chat goes for 2-3 hours and endup being offerd friendship

I initiate an IM some times to gauge and the chat goes off for awhile again, yay, not ignored yet.

Days pass while seeing them login and logout.

Days turn into weeks, ah, here we go again, *delete*

From the 2 dozen people that friended me after a chat, i trashed all of them because NON was actually looking for a friend!

Oh, brilliant idea! don`t look for friends and ask people to become your friend if you DO NOT intent to actually start a conversation at times so that they actually still might consider YOU to be a FRIEND!

Do i need friends? uhm, lack of social skills stuck with a female avatar, yeah, but i will not friend you to entertain you!

Not initiating any conversations over 2-3-4 weeks? then sod off,more happy being alone then being used when your feeling sorry for your self and im random people on YOUR friends list for entertainment.

I doubt i`m the only one who feels this way, but ffs, i think it every time i read this section of the forums and get suckerd into it *again*

What`s the difference between SL friends and a sex toy? none, you have to entertain your self

Now this is for the OP:

Hell no, you state you have a full list and never start a conversation, why would anyone in their relatively sane mind bother?

It isn't any harder to make friends in SL than it is in RL.

To have a friend you have to be one.  You say you have a full list but never talk to them.  Why?  You have to initiate conversations with people, You can't just expect them to IM you.  You also have to suggest activities you can do together that the other person will enjoy and ACTUALLY INVITE THEM to do them with you.  If you find someone that seems interesting and friend material and want to be their friend take the initiative don't sit back waiting for them to entertain you.  You also need to do it more than once as usually friendships form over time

I'll offer my point of view regarding never starting IMs with anyone.

I rarely do.  The only, ONLY time I'll ever start an IM is if there's SL business to attend to or if I happen to be doing something fun and want to share.  The rest of the time I am quiet as a mouse.

If I'm online and if you are on my list, that means you can bother me a-n-y-t-i-m-e, for any reason, and if I'm not busy I will drop everything and give you my full attention.  But that's also the reason I keep a very, very short list, so I can devote time to the people I consider my friends.

Also, Curse of Monkey Island was neat but definitely not the best game in history. 

, however, is the greatest
cinematic in history.

Thanks for the reply.

I totally understand your position, and what you say makes perfect sense. I don't ignore people on purpose. I should clarify a couple of things.

The reason I have a full list of contacts is because they're either, 1. business contacts, 2. new players, 3. my alts

#2 are usually the ones who send out the random friend requests. It wouldn't be fair to say that all of them do this, but most of them will do that while they're not within range, sometimes not even in the same sim (I can't figure this one out). I'll usually assume they're looking for help on getting around, cause most of them are literally just a few hours old, which is fine, as I always try to help out new players when I can, and I'm usually more than happy to show them around and such.

Even if it does end up being an actual conversation, most of these people don't even log in much after, if at all. If I do have regular conversations with someone, I wouldn't be ignoring them day after day, but even the few who I used to talk to don't come in anymore or have gotten busy with their relationships or some other reason.

So coming here was my attempt at trying a different approach. I have to say my social skills need some work too, but I do enjoy an interesting conversation. It goes both ways too, right?

btw, #3 is also business related. And I may be able to hold a conversation, but I'm not *that* good..

Thanks for articulating a situation I can relate to. Sometimes it sucks to see some folks continually come and go without hearing from them because it can get a bit lonely here. But I also sometimes feel nervous about initiating an IM because I don't want to be seen as a bother. So that doesn't help. I've also only had the guts to send one friendship request so far because of that. I wish the OP luck in their search. Hopefully they find someone they're on the same wavelength with.

• 4 weeks later...

Alicia Sautereau wrote:

83457point1 wrote:

I never speak to any of them

You know, this is starting to irritate me more and more, please don`t be offended as it`s not aimed at you only.

Every time people come over here and ask to find friends, great!

Now here is my issue:

Every now and then, i actually start a conversation with some one who is seeking some companionship and usually the chat goes for 2-3 hours and endup being offerd friendship

I initiate an IM some times to gauge and the chat goes off for awhile again, yay, not ignored yet.

Days pass while seeing them login and logout.

Days turn into weeks, ah, here we go again, *delete*

From the 2 dozen people that friended me after a chat, i trashed all of them because NON was actually looking for a friend!

Oh, brilliant idea! don`t look for friends and ask people to become your friend if you DO NOT intent to actually start a conversation at times so that they actually still might consider YOU to be a FRIEND!

Do i need friends? uhm, lack of social skills stuck with a female avatar, yeah, but i will not friend you to entertain you!

Not initiating any conversations over 2-3-4 weeks? then sod off,more happy being alone then being used when your feeling sorry for your self and im random people on YOUR friends list for entertainment.

I doubt i`m the only one who feels this way, but ffs, i think it every time i read this section of the forums and get suckerd into it *again*

What`s the difference between SL friends and a sex toy? none, you have to entertain your self

Now this is for the OP:

Hell no, you state you have a full list and never start a conversation, why would anyone in their relatively sane mind bother?

Did you ever think that some of those people are shy? I personally will firend people and not message them at least the first 2 or 3 times we talk hoping they'll message me instead because I'm to shy and always feel like I might be a bother. Also having a long list of friends doesn't me that they all actually login anymore. I've friended many MANY noobs trying to help them out only to have them NEVER log in again. I'm just to lazy to remove them from my list making my list very long.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4011 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.