tracking

TurtleBeing

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3874 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

How do you think you are being tracked? It depends on how they will be doing it. There can be some object detectors to detect strange objects in the area that may be using sensor scripts and chat spies etc..

You can look on the market place for anti spy devices and object spy detectors and such.. Are they worth it? I have never used them . So I can't say if they would be helpful

If this is going on on your land then you can check your land for objects hiden, by using the land tools, or even showing transparent . ctrl-alt-T

The only reliable way of which I know to track someone involves their wearing an attachment containing a script, so if you've been given an item to wear by whoever it is that you suspect of tracking you, that might be worth investigating.   Problem is, of course, many items contain scripts perfectly legitimate reasons, so it might be difficult to figure out whether a script should be there or not.

Most usually, I think, people think they're being tracked when, in fact, whoever it is simply knows they're online via their groups or something, and knows the places they like to hang out at.

Often, rather than spending a lot of time trying to figure if someone's tracking you, it's simplest just to put them on ignore.

• Like 1

It is entirely possible to buy gadgets that tracks whether someone is online or not, regardless of if you try to appear offline.. Even things that logs your activity so the person can have a list of exactly when you have been online :o

As for tracking your position, that's quite impossible without your permission, unless as already mentioned, you wear an object with some kind of tracking device in it.

No worries, pull up a rum and relax.  The weather's always nice in SL and this is the sort of thing only newbies worry about, like someone daring to focus their camera on you.

As mentioned - ignore them and/or mute them.  Remember, in SL you are free to be a Gostak and can distim all the doshes whenever you want to.

Just be flattered if someone is taking an interest in you - from a distance; as long as it's only your avatar they are tracking, and not your real life self then what is the harm?  There is no absolute way to find out who is tracking you or how, but all of us leave some sort of paper trail, be it in the form of group membership in world, or via a site like Flickr, youtube, or a blog outside of SL.

If you are an interesting person, who gets involved with things, this will come up on Google (are you into meditation for example?).

Occasionally you may get something like "Marigold Devin is now following you" (substitute my name there for another if you will), and that will be because someone is watching your my.secondlife feed.

https://my.secondlife.com/turtlebeing

Edited to add:

Devices such as the avatar online trackers used to send information out to email, if they were so programmed, so people could track login/logout patterns of interesting people.  This only now seems to happen if people have opted to be visible in searches.  Again, there is not much harm anyone can do with such information.

Chat spy devices were mentioned elsewhere in this thread. These are a breach of privacy and can be ARd if found (but often people who use these hide them inside other things, ie walls, pictures, floors, rugs, or they are named 'object', so they can be quite hard to find).

Try not to worry - as I say, just be flattered. It obviously means you are an interesting person.

• 1 year later...

Not all trackers are harmless voyeurs. My tracker also took control of bed menus when I was sharing them with a third party, changed radio station at my sl home, locked the doors of my sl house, bloce from use of my bed and intan machine, rearranged my furniture (all from adjacent public and and without permissions) and created pubic scenes at clubs when I was dancing with other avatars. Sim owners ejected and blocked him, but he created alternate avatars faster than my friends could block him.  On two occasions he was able to harass me at a sim where he had already been blocked. I filed 22 abuse repors in 14 days and LL did nothig to stop the harassment.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3874 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.