Windows 10's automatic updates for NVidia drivers could break your computer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3191 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I used to have no end of problems with my NVidia GPU failing in SL, and spent a lot of time and money investigating it and replacing cards.   Eventually, the guys who build and maintain my PCs for me decided it was the Windows updates of the the NVidia drivers that were causing all the problems, and advised me to disable automatic updates and download my drivers direct from the NVidia website.

I followed their advice, and since then have had few, if any, GPU problems.

I don't know what Microsoft do to NVidia's drivers before they issue them as part of a Microsoft update, but it certainly doesn't do them much good.    The only reliable fix is to do a completely clean uninstall of the Microsoft driver (which is no simple task, as a quick Google search will confirm) and then reinstall a clean copy from NVidia's own site.

I just installed Windows 10 from a Windows 8. It asked me if I wanted to reserve 10 a few weeks back. Apparently this preloaded the installer on my computer. I didn't notice this happening.

Installation took around 20 minutes and it totally messed up on installing my Nvidia driver. It loaded an Nvidia basic adapter and the resolution was only 800x600. It looked terrible! So I let Windows try to update the drivers automatically and it failed! I went to Nvidia's website and downloaded the driver installer and it failed! It said there was a device update running already.

I went to my task manager and ended anything that said update or updater or installer. There were several processes I had to end. The Nvidia driver installer worked and everything was gravy after that. SL works fine on it.

I upgraded from win8.1

win10 replaced the nvidia drivers by an ms version. Thats ok since its a new system and surely does not want to use the old win8.1 drivers. SL runs fine with that drivers btw but I did not much testing and installed the new drivers from nvidia. Ok, all is fine, didn't detect any problems yet.

win10 did not try to reinstall the ms drivers. I have read about that and was prepared to punch the system and prevent that but wasn't needed - it didn't even try.

After checking that i have all the drivers I need - I switched off the automatic update for drivers. Just to make sure that I stay in control.

Maybe need to add. I never tried any win10 beta stuff and I didnt reserve for the update. I kicked it in manually. 1st on a VM (with win7) and then on the main.

Oh, another remark: I have a desktop but I can imagine that the standard driver is no good for any fancy laptop chip or hybrid chipset. If you have something like that you need a matching driver for win10! If that driver is not available you can not upgrade to win10!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3191 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.