Parcels Dropped from In-World Search Again

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4111 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Yesterday the new Release Candidates (Magnum, Blue Steel and LeTigre) Server Software regions were updated and shortly after that my three Parcels (all on Magnum) were dropped from In-World Search.

I am NOT sure if it was all Parcels on Magnum that were dropped or if it was just another of those "Search Issues" where periodically big chunks of the Grid are dropped, but it did happen very coincidentally with the update.

Please check your own Parcels to determine if they have been dropped from Search as well. If yours have been dropped, create a BUG report on the SL Jira. Make sure you specify "Web Site" and "Search" in the two Where fields near the bottom of the Create Issue form.

Actually quite a few do care. There are many Service type businesses as well as those selling devices that must be seen and tested first.

BTW: I've checked and every parcel on the SeaBreeze Oasis sim is gone from Search, so it appears to be affecting the entire sim. That leads even more to the idea that it's related to the Magnum server software .. but not conclusively.

Phil Deakins wrote:

Do many people care any more now that the bulk of shopping is done in the marketplace?

I'm partially boycotting the MP with some content from my older brands and my latest business has no marketplace presence at all. If you can get on page 1 on top keywords then inworld search still drives allot traffic, espeically from people looking for things like mesh prefabs. 

I've totally boycotted the marketplace from it's beginning, and I'm still boycotting it.

It occured to me whilst I was watching the news just now that SL is reflecting RL. Here in the UK there are a number top high street names going to the wall recently, and it's said that it's happening to one of them, HMV, because it failed to embrace online marketing. HMV sells music CDs but so much of that trade is online downloads now and HMV didn't get into that, and they have lost so much business that they called in the administrators yesterday. It struck me that the marketplace is the SL equivalent of online, and inwolrd stores are the equivalent of high street shops.

Yep, I completely agree. I think it's important for merchants in SL to recognize which types of content almost exclusively now sells on the the MP and which types sell better inworld, rather than just assuming (as many have) that all business is now being done in the MP resulting in them giving up on inworld altogether.

Some pockets of inworld business are still booming. I would quite like to set up a group of merchants inworld who strongly support the inworld shopping experience. If merchants are putting allot of effort into creating stores inworld to rival and surpass the MP shopping experience, then it would be great if some could network together, cross promote their businesses and shepherd potential customers through the network from one quality store to another.

Porky Gorky wrote:

I would quite like to set up a group of merchants inworld who strongly support the inworld shopping experience. If merchants are putting allot of effort into creating stores inworld to rival and surpass the MP shopping experience, then it would be great if some could network together, cross promote their businesses and shepherd potential customers through the network from one quality store to another.

I believe the thinking of upper management at LL is so upside down right now that they would actually try to stop such a network. They would view it as eating into their MP sales commissions, which for some reason they believe is more important than tier.

Just about every decision I have seen LL make in the last year or so makes me think LL is very anti-business, especially in-world business.

Triple Peccable wrote:

I believe the thinking of upper management at LL is so upside down right now that they would actually try to stop such a network. They would view it as eating into their MP sales commissions, which for some reason they believe is more important than tier.

Yes, a more suspicious man might think there was a well organized plan in place, executed over a number of years to destroy inworld commerce.

While I think the MP is important and I agree its like on-line compared to in-world purchases, I still get a lot of traffic in my store when my marketing is done right.

Both are vital to the success of my business and I do not plan to give up on either of them.

Thank you Darius for all your assistance with everything you have done.  Once more you have stepped up and shown us, SL and LL your leadership.

Highest Regards,

Brigit

I did some quick analysis of the Parcels that I monitor just to see what version of Server they were running. This is based on Tyche Shepherd's excellent Grid Survey and the Region Database maintained for that purpose.

• 18 - Server Version Second Life RC Magnum
  • 7 - Server Version Second Life Server
  • 1 - Server Version Second Life RC LeTigre

It is possible that some of these Regions have moved to other Server versions since the survey was last run, but nevertheless it shows the predominance of RC Magnum as the version that has caused regions to be dropped.

When I get a chance, I will go visit those Regions and post a follow-up as to their current server version.

Celestine1312,

There are two possible reasons for your Club to have "Vanished" .. only one of which is due to the latest issue with Parcels and In-World Search.

If you can find your Club listed by searching for its name then it is NOT affected by this latest issue. However if you cannot find your Club using the exact club name then it most likely has been dropped from Search because of this issue.

You should start by checking the Region Server Version that is listed in the Help > About details displayed in your Viewer. If it "Magnum RC" then that increases your chances of being affected by the issue reported here.

There are a number of other things you can check as well, and there are tools available to help you check some of the basics. One of the most popular is a Freebie that reports the "Boost" assigned to your Parcel's web page. You can find it on the Marketplace by searching for "Boost Freebie".

Boobicca Littlebird wrote:

But when I say that you call it a conspiracy, wow, glad to hear your not using MP, means your life will be short here, plain as the nose on your face what they are doing.

It was a tongue in cheek comment meant as a joke. No surprise that you have taken it seriously as you seem to believe everything you hear/read no matter how ludicrous it sounds. Of course I don't think LL have deliberately conspired to destroy inworld commerce. Only a nutjob would believe that. 

As for my not using the marketplace, how have you arrived at that conclusion? Is it because you have read a statement, omitted the facts then arrived at your own conclusion? I will repeat what I said earlier in the thread and highlight the salient points for you.

"I'm partially boycotting the MP with some content from my older brands" 

That sentence is as plain as the nose on your face and yet you have ignored the salient facts and arrived at the conclusion that I no longer sell on the MP. 

This seems to be a recurring theme in your postings, ignoring facts and jumping to conclusions.

well, Darius, you did well to point this new bug....

some days ago, a friend who was in my store asked me why i dont set my land for appearing in the search.... Ive been surprised and checked right away on my land tab. The box was still ticked. And i remembered that i ve been charged 2 days ago for the 30l$ weekly. So i thought that my friend wasnt looking at the right place in the land tab and well... end.

Now, i just read your post. And suddendly this remind me what happened with my friend some days ago.

So i logged in SL and checked again the land tab. All was fine. i know also that ive been charged this morning for the 30 l$ like every other weeks.

And..... 

i tried to look for my land in the SL search. 

And....

nothing .....

What means LL is robing to me 30 l$ since 2 weeks... well of course 30 l$ are nothing... but why should i pay 30 l$ that i dont owe if they dont provide the service im paying for ? Why should be better thess 2 X 30 l$ in LL pockets while their legitimacy is to be in my pockets. ? Well, since when do we have to pay for nothing, for a service that is not providen. ? 

Well.. another new problem with SL, really, i start to be blunted.

I will look later at your advices more carefully (for now i need to go back at rl work).

Since 2 weeks now, almost all the time i have for sl is for fixing problems from SL or MP.... Some complain because they use too much time for customer support.... well, on my side almost 90 % of my sl time since 2 weeks is used to deal with SL bugs...Honnestly id prob prefer to deal with too much customer support... At least, you know you are usefull when you do this... while when you have to deal with LL, the only thing you can have is non-answers again and again.... and.... a new problem quite everyday... It start to be really really boring.... id like to go back to creation....i just cant...:smileysad:

ETA : my land is located on Magnum...

I am not too worried about the L$60 that I've paid for my two parcels and one week's worth of being excluded from Search .. after all it is not that much. But like you I am frustrated that answers never seem to be provided.

When you find time to return in-world again, be sure to check your Server version by using the Help > About function in your viewer. Included in the text shown will be the Server type (Main, LeTigre, BlueSteel or Magnum) as well as the version number. My suspicion is that you will find you are on a Magnum version. If so, please let me know as this will further prove my theory.

I also have a small complaint about how BUG Reports are handled now. Not only have they prevented others from seeing the bugs that have been reported, but they have begun following a procedure that makes it impossible to provide additional information. For example, the BUG Report that I filed on this issue was first duplicated by Maestro, with the duplicate version visible only to LL. He then Closed my BUG so that I cannot add to it or comment on it further.

I feel as though I've cast a stone into a never-ending dark well. I cannot even hear the splash at the bottom as the rock pierces the surface of the water. And so I am left wondering ...

Is there really anything at the bottom of the well .. or does it just go on forever ... deeper and deeper into the foreboding blackness  .. lost forever to the light and understanding of we mere pixels.

ETA: Just saw your ETA. Thank you.

well on my side, my land is in Tuvucca bay on the magnum region.. and the less i can say is yes there have been a lot of unuasual activity in the last 2 weeks... 

week 1 : 4 following days, sim has been down several times a day. Not sim restarting but down. It happened the day before the scheduled rolling restart and then went on for 3 days. Not one time per day, but several times.

Then my sim owners went a lil crazy about restarting and used to restart my sim several times a day too. 

it often happened that no scrip were working on my land then for long minutes...

Week 2 : 3 days ago, my sim has been down 4 times in one night (night for me, french time zone).. then again a bunch of crazyly sim restart from my simowners.

Ive complained to my simowners since the day 1, asking them to tell LL to respect at least their business and that in the end, the pp who are hurt are we, the renters.

at day 3 they started to stop answering me... indeed.

So well... one time noone can come in my store bec my sim is down by LL, another time, they cant come bec my simowner are restarting the sim, another time they cant buy from my vendors bec scripts doesnt work anymore on the sim..... at this point, im really happy to make still sales bec these ones are just miracles....

I know about all this sim down and sim restart because i have several scripted objects, like my inworld mail box, and my vendor server and some child vendor servers in others land, and they send emails to my mailbox...

you can imagine my face while almost every mornings since 2 weeks now, i wake up, open my mailbox and see all the flood from this scripted objects leting me know what happened on my land while i was quielty and innocently sleeping in rl....

i dont pay no mind for the 60 l$ either, but i dont see why i should give this to LL if they dont provide me what they owe to me if i pay... As far as i know, they are no tramps and are a lot more rich than me, so i dont see why i should give to them even this charity.

im filling a bug tracker right now... but i know already what will be the answer and that they will close it soon.... They surely think i dont have nothing to do at all but just write to them... but they are wrong... and id like to use my time for other things than for talking to walls....

As i said in my post before....it becomes really frequent now that i have to deal with problem with SL instead of creating or just enjoying SL.... Honnestly, if i was the CEO of such company providing so bad service to its customer, i would probably go and hide myself somewhere in a desert place... bec i would be really too much ashamed to tell anyone im the CEO of such company.... Blah .....

so i had an answer to my bug track... 

"Heya Trinity,

This is a known issue on Magnum regions since the RC rollout. See http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Second-Life-Server/Deploys-for-the-week-of-2013-01-14/td-p/1823383/page/2for discussion on this issue."

Of course, i didnt miss to comment there in the other thread, of course.

i just checked my land, and the issue, of course, is still running... what is good with LL is that they are predictable ....

Following through on this issue: After yesterday's (2013-01-23) rollout of the new Magnum RC Server Software, both Regions where my Parcels were located were once again visible via In-World Search. I also am pleased to mention that they returned pretty much to the same Rank in Search as they had just prior to vanishing. So even though I lost roughly a week's worth of sales, at least I once again stand a fighting chance of attracting customers new and old.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4111 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.