Attacking a person's spelling and grammar?

honerken

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3456 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Void Singer wrote:

Carole Franizzi wrote:

[...] Consider our banter a working example of how difficult it is for EFLers to cope with English language forums. [...]

the difference being that ESL folks are making an effort to be understood on english forums.

PS

Je parle
un peu francais
, mais seulement si
l'auditeur
ne parle pas anglais
(exception:
pour faire un point
)

(I speak french a bit, but only if the listener doesn't speak english [exception: making a point])

Void, I am pretty sure rotpaulette (who is, if not French, I believe fluent in the language) got involved in this byplay and while it's true she fled in tears at the damage being done, at least she did not condemn the interchange. And since she is a very good example of ESL forumites posting to the English language side, I'd follow her lead.

If I'd have thought it was worth an AR I'd have just done that.... I expressed an opinion, feel free to disagree, it's not as if I have any say in what anyone here does or does not do. Unless of course you think no one is allowed to disagree with you, in which case, have fun with that.

Void Singer wrote:

If I'd have thought it was worth an AR I'd have just done that.... I expressed an opinion, feel free to disagree, it's not as if I have any say in what anyone here does or does not do. Unless of course you think no one is allowed to disagree with you, in which case, have fun with that.

:-). Since this thread is in fact in total derailment I'll take the derailment further. TY for the advice in a thread that has now been locked, and in which I posted something I actually did think would be helpful (ty Carole, too; you commented on said post).

As for disagreement, I've never tolerated that from anyone, nor should any forumite. Even a HINT of a raised eyebrow should invite a duel to the death, as you suggest :-D.

BTW, I'm pretty sure I heard that Carole has walked through the fire. It can change a person. Didn't change me, but I've heard some people are more sensitive to the flame.

Dillon Levenque wrote:

BTW, I'm pretty sure I heard that Carole has walked through the fire. It can change a person. Didn't change me, but I've heard some people are more sensitive to the flame.

Yes, Carole walked through my fire. I don't think it changed her a bit. Then you stepped in wearing a firearm and nicked your own thigh. I can't wait to see how sensitive Void is to the flame.

"If I'd have thought it was worth an AR I'd have just done that...."

Well, “rude and obnoxious” is quite a strong label. Maybe worth ARing, if that’s your view of our posts. It's just a click or two of a mouse, after all.

"I expressed an opinion…"

So did I.

"…feel free to disagree…"

I do. I did. More than once.

"…..it's not as if I have any say in what anyone here does or does not do."

But you do. You can AR any post you feel is breaking ToS rules.

"Unless of course you think no one is allowed to disagree with you…"

And maybe you feel the same. And maybe we could go on and on hypothesising what the other thinks and feels. Might be fun!

"…in which case, have fun with that."

With what? Ah! The thingy you think I think, right? Well, thank you very much. Problem is, I actually have more fun when people disagree with me. You get interesting discussions that way. The alternative is writing daft posts in faux French to my old pal, Eloise. Though that’s fun too. She’s a hoot.

Dillon Levenque wrote:

:-). Since this thread is in fact in total derailment I'll take the derailment further. TY for the advice in a thread that has now been locked, and in which I posted something I actually did think would be helpful (ty Carole, too; you commented on said post).

As for disagreement, I've never tolerated that from anyone, nor should any forumite. Even a HINT of a raised eyebrow should invite a duel to the death, as you suggest :-D.

Death??? Death is too good for them! It should be a long drawn-out agony. Like being forced to read the full collection of my epic wall-of-text posts.

Fire? You referring to my 80-a-day smoking habit? Can’t give up now – have just discovered the tres chic Goolwurz. They make me look like a young Catherine Deneuve.

you're welcome... and I do agree that it's a shame, I tried more than once myself, but let it go as I've no tolerance for self victimization when the tools to prevent/control it are handed out freely. I'm a bit jaded that way though =X

@Carole:
I'm tired right now so not really interested in a debate about what you think I meant, or what you think I should do about. maybe another time when I'm actually emotionally engaged in the topic.

Dillon Levenque wrote:

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Yes, Carole walked through my fire. I don't think it changed her a bit. Then you stepped in wearing a firearm and nicked your own thigh. I can't wait to see how sensitive Void is to the flame.

I was distracted by other people's thighs. Forgot the guns were loaded.

I warned you several times, did I not?

Carole Franizzi wrote:

Dillon Levenque wrote:

They make me look like a young Catherine Deneuve.

What? Like you haven't learned how to resize hair?

OMG you DO look like her :D;)

catherinedeneuve.jpg

p.s. *grunts from the effort of chanelling any pedant in the nearby vicinity* Thanks :)

edited to add: Forgot the blummin pic like a total div.

Void, there are few here as helpful as you. I look up to you in that respect and help wherever I feel qualified, but you are a help legend, no doubt.

On the down side, I don't even know what nationality you are, or what language is your first, but, as an English educated person I can assure you that I can speak bugger all languages, but I can kind of read and understand French. The French have words like le weekend and we have breakfast in a cafe...but we pronounce it caff.

Please don't even get me started on what chips are! ;)

Rude and obnoxious is what I think your reaction was IMO. You could have turned off, muted, ignored as you often advise.

I still don't understand. It saddens me though because I like your posts.

Eloise Baily wrote:

Void, there are few here as helpful as you. I look up to you in that respect and help wherever I feel qualified, but you are a help legend, no doubt.

On the down side, I don't even know what nationality you are, or what language is your first, but, as an English educated person I can assure you that I can speak bugger all languages, but I can kind of read and understand French. The French have words like le weekend and we have breakfast in a cafe...but we pronounce it caff.

Please don't even get me started on what chips are!
;)

Rude and obnoxious is what I think your reaction was IMO. You could have turned off, muted, ignored as you often advise.

Hmmm...and your response was polite and socially acceptable in every culture?

This thread kind of reminds me of that time a poster nearly stroked out because someone suggesting that the FC was an excellent place for noobs to meet people that were kind and willing to help them on their virgin journey into digital life, was violating the CS and TOS because they saw it as a commercial interest even though anyone, free of cost, could participate with or without joining the group and with no associated costs.  But, here, now, it is perfectly ok for this person to violate the "no posting off topic" community standard and chastise those that point out that it appears to be a mockery of sorts.   Forums are so interesting, yes? 

Ima Rang wrote:

Eloise Baily wrote:

Please don't even get me started on what chips are!
;)

Hmmm...and your response was polite and socially acceptable in every culture?

This thread kind of reminds me of that time a poster nearly stroked out because someone suggesting that the FC was an excellent place for noobs to meet people that were kind and willing to help them on their virgin journey into digital life, was violating the CS and TOS because they saw it as a commercial interest even though anyone, free of cost, could participate with or without joining the group and with no associated costs.  But, here, now, it is perfectly ok for this person to violate the "no posting off topic" community standard and chastise those that point out that it appears to be a mockery of sorts.   Forums are so interesting, yes? 

Ima you were not the only one that saw this.  She was being a petty troll that was spanked by Hippie.  She knows it, you know it, Hippie knows it, we all know it.   

Peace 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3456 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.