Attacking a person's spelling and grammar?

honerken

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3441 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Deltango Vale wrote:

"Correcting spelling is generally considered bad form in most forums. And if you constantly do it you will not be very popular."

------------------------------------

So far, I have not received any hate mail for being articulate in my posts, but thanks for letting me know how deeply unpopular I have become. mbee me wrk hrddr to fitin n be lliked n futurrr

Deltango, I think (I don't KNOW, of course, but I think) that the person you quoted meant that correcting other people's spelling was considered bad form. I believe it is not considered bad form to correct one's own spelling.

I am quite surprised you've not received any hate mail for your articulate posts. I'll send you some immediately. I woulda said 'post haste' but that would have been just too, well, you know.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not reading the other posts, but just answering the original OP.

Attacking another person's spelling, grammar or typos in a forum debate is like attacking how they're dressed in a live debate. It is a very poor tactic & usually is used as a fall-back when the other person can't think of a better come back.

On the other hand, if you were debating on TV or in front of a live audience, you'd be a fool not to pay attention to how you look. People judge you by how you look. On a forum, how you write takes the place of both how you sound & how you look. If you consistently use bad spelling, poor grammar & inadequate punctuation you will be judge as stupid, ignorant or careless, whether that judgment is fair or not.  When you have a spell-check feature at your fingertips, use it, especially if you're in the middle of a debate with someone.

But again, I've seen it time & again that a person who doesn't have a good response to an online argument will throw in a comment or two about bad spelling or some such triviality. Unless the original discussion was about spelling & grammar, it's the red-herring response at its worst. It's like saying, "Yeah, well you're ugly" in a political debate.

Void Singer wrote:

invoking an SL"measure off" is an automatic forfeit.

I couldn't figure out what you meant; I'd not seen the term. I think you meant using what someone has or has not done in SL as a measure of said person's worthiness/intelligence/forum entertainment value is a specious argument. If so, I agree. I have a pretty good idea my SLIQ is a fraction of yours but there are times when I think I'm probably almost as smart as you are otherwise.

Dillon Levenque wrote:

Void Singer wrote:

I couldn't figure out what you meant; I'd not seen the term. I think you meant using what someone has or has not done in SL as a measure of said person's worthiness/intelligence/forum entertainment value is a specious argument. If so, I agree. I have a pretty good idea my SLIQ is a fraction of yours but there are times when I think I'm probably almost as smart as you are otherwise.

I interpreted it as  'mine's bigger than yours'...that kind of measure off.

Dillon Levenque wrote:

Void Singer wrote:

As your personal forum troll I can tell you that sometimes you write some very good posts ^^.  Other times...well.

Btw, have I upset you?  You have not responded to me is such a long time.  I 'feel' neglected.  I would be chagrined if you muted me. 

I can see the blood running down your chin from biting your lip.  It's ok, I am, as Void would like to say, a benign troll.  

i find it shallow to base opinions based on presentation, grammar is just the presentation of the idea, is way less important than the content itself, is like the wrapper sticker of a tomato can, it doesnt matter if its very beautiful if the content is of low quality, or if the wrapper is very bad designed if the quality of the tomato is fresh, you can troll with very good grammar, or say something meaningful with typos all around.

another thing, there are many types of intelligence, people can be very intelligent in some things but have problems with grammar, for some its very difficult to remember the right letters, the rules of the language, for them they can be confusing symbols, like some people see advanced math. there are other people that are used to communicate without caring about grammar, and they do it just fine, until they find a person who cares about grammar.

correcting spelling, if done for the purpose of helping others should be done in private, and only if the person asks to be corrected, a non-requested advice can be bothersome, is like having a business meeting and someone pointing out to a person in front of everyone, "hey! you shouldnt look so ugly, you would be better with an avatar shape like mine!". if youre going to point out an error on someone else make sure you do it privately, specially if youre going to interrupt what is being discussed.

In live chat I ignore everyone's typos, including (especially) my own.  In the forums I try a little bit harder to type it correctly and spell check when I am not sure.  I generally ignore other people's typos except when they are funny.  About the only time I will bother to respond in regards to misspellings is when they are so numerous or garbled that one's meaning is obscured.

Phoebe Avro wrote:

Storm Clarence wrote:

Phoebe Avro wrote:

Well i have work to do,
people with high posts don't work in SL
they just post ^^

We work in RL.

Please notice the bold highlights.

Don't you have work to do?

yes i will dedicate my next creation to you^^

You spoiled my potential creation. :matte-motes-bored:

Storm Clarence wrote:

Phoebe Avro wrote:

read my post, you just made yourself look stupid

It's what I do best.  But, I do it in the most effective way: proper grammar. snip>

To: Phoebe,  He's not just looking; he's a practioner

To: Storm, you will always be more than a spectacle to me.

nah, you got the general idea...  for the specifics see Venus's reply. I was just avoiding moderation by not calling it what it really is. you figured it out without a frame of reference, so you can't be dumb. (and the next time you insinuate it Imma smack you)

@Phoebe:
Why would I need to flatter myself when you do such a good job at it?

PS
Work smarter, not harder; then you can work hard and play harder.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3441 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.