Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
honerken

Attacking a person's spelling and grammar?

Recommended Posts

if you can't see the holes in your own logic even after they are pointed out to you, I'm going to have to rate that statement "unlikely".

btw, didn't you claim you had work to do that was more important than posting here? seems like improving your consistency might improve your work ethic.

 ETA:
and I'm out for the night, but feel free to post and we can pick it up tomorrow, but I'll leave you with a thought...

If you always judge your value through other peoples eyes, you'll always lose out in the end because there will always be someone who sees you in a negative light. If you always judge your value through your own eyes, you'll never lose, because it doesn't matter what others see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Void Singer wrote:

nah, you got the general idea...  for the specifics see Venus's reply. I was just avoiding moderation by not calling it what it really is.  

LOL. I do have a 'frame of reference' but for some reason that didn't click. It's not, in my experience, a common topic between males (and I is one so I at least have some background). One guy I knew who had women practically falling all over him once referred to himself as being 'hung like a stud field mouse'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Lynda Klossovsky wrote:

Was würde passieren, wenn Englisch nicht
I
hre Muttersprache
wäre
.
.. Englisch ist
eine harte Sprache
 
schwer
zu lernen...

Wenn Englisch nicht meine Muttersprache wäre (was tatsächlich der Fall ist), dann würde ich Tippfehler und Grammatik-Katastrophen auf deutsch korrigieren ;)

 

But the fact that English is not my native language doesn't keep me from trying to articulate myself in (American) English as well as I can (I was about to write "as best I can" because I've often read it that way, but it struck me as grammatically incorrect). The excuse of being a second language speaker only goes so far. Untrained English speakers can be expected to try harder than others, just like a new forklift driver has to try harder not to skewer his co-workers.

I've noticed that most unintelligible or incoherent posts come down to sloppiness or a general inability to express one's thoughts, both of which is very common nowadays. In my opinion, there is no excuse for not taking the time to write a concise and coherent post, not bothering to proof-read it before hitting the post button, or for not using punctuation. Especially in this day and age where people communicate in a written format in a world-wide medium.

PS: As a second language speaker, I'm glad when people take the time to point out my mistakes. How else am I supposed to learn? It would be silly to view a helpful comment as an attack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Knowl Paine wrote:


Storm Clarence wrote:


Phoebe Avro wrote:

read my post, you just made yourself look stupid

It's what I do best.  But, I do it in the most effective way: proper grammar. snip>

 

To: Storm, you will always be more than a spectacle to me.

 

And you will alway be just Knowl Paine to me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny how one poster whacked their complete oeuvre.  Nothing like posting replies and then in the middle of the evening editing all your replies to a (.).    

 

Actually, and in the spirit of this OP, her replies are now grammatically correct.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Storm Clarence wrote:

Funny how one poster whacked their complete oeuvre.  Nothing like posting replies and then in the middle of the evening editing all your replies to a (.).    

 

Actually, and in the spirit of this OP, her replies are now grammatically correct.  

laughs!

Not her complete ouevre.  Her greeting to Dog still stands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

could be they didn't want to leave evidence of the mistakes (that ran pretty much to tune of of the topic, arguments using pointless and unrelated information)... or (and I'm hoping here) my final message was understood...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I belong to several forums even used to moderate a few. Most to do with a technical nature dealing with hunting, archery or vehicles. I can tell you without a doubt that equating someone's spelling and grammar to their knowledge on a subject is a big mistake. There are many many people in the world that are very smart and knowledgeable about a certain subject or subjects yet don't type well, spell well or have perfect grammar. Or possibly don't take the time to read over what they typed several times or bother to use spell check. To discount the information they give based on that criteria is simply ignorant.

For example my doctor has such an accent I can barely understand him sometimes and his penmanship is horrid and his spelling and grammar isn't all that great all the time either. That being said he is an outstanding doctor and I am glad to have him. I don't know, maybe he has better things to worry about?

 

By the way I took the time to check over my post for spelling and typos and wasted about 5 minutes I could have spent doing something else. Not to mention that spell check didn't find some errors or missing words or stuff that should not have been there. Damn, now I have to spell check this and read it over, more time wasted just to make someone happy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5minutes!?!? I admire your dedication at least.

if I may make a suggestion... there's this great add-on called AfterThe Deadline.... it's a spell/grammar checker in it's own right, but also enables native spellchecking in rich text boxes like lithium's.

 

and I'll agree in general that some pro's on a topic (more often topics of physical practice) have horrid spelling/grammar, their knowledge tends to shine through.... the amateur pretenders though tend to have the same poor behaviors, and it just makes their lack of knowledge even more apparent... plus they're much more common =x

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I   t r y   t o   t y p e   s l o w   s o  t h a t   I   a m   n o t   m i s u n d e r s t o o d .    B u t    s o m e t i m e s   I   l a b o u r   t o   l o n g   o v e r   m y   w o r d s .   H o w e v e r    I   d o   a l w a y s   m a k e   a n    e f f o r t .


“W h a t   i s   w r i t t e n   w i t h o u t   e f f o r t   i s   i n  g e n e r a l   r e a d   w i t h o u t   p l e a s u r e.”

  -   S a m u e l   J o h n s o n

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Angelique LaFollette wrote:


Ian Undercroft wrote:

Making due and proper allowance for those who don't have English as their first language, >>
you're kidding yourself if you're suggesting that a person's grammar and spelling doesn't, as a general rule, also say a lot about their intelliegence.<<

I might accept this as a trueism were it not far more common for the person LOSING the debate (Despite proper grammar and spelling) to critisize the presentation of the one who is giving them a logical lambasting.

IRL these would be the same sort of person who would resort to mocking a persons accent or pronunciation rather than address a point or points for which they have no supportable answer. It's a cheap and unworthy form of obfuscation, and one i tend to ignore.

As for those of you like myself (Self educated, dyslexic, AND Not originally of English speaking origins) Don't let people who do this intimidate you into silence (For that is indeed their Intent). Even if your form isn't perfect, you still have something of value to contribute.

 

Angel.




 

I don't

*

recall

*

Pep losing any

*

arguments and he always used to

*

criticise

*

lazy

*

posters who demonstrated that they didn't

*

care about others by

*

failing to take the

*

time to make sure that their

*

posts were as

*

clearly expressed as they could be so they

*

communicated themselves effectively, whether they were

*

ESLers or not.

***

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Phoebe Avro wrote:

Latin for Storm is tempest , i am sure i can use that!

 

Actually in Latin Storm is

*

tempestas or

*

procella, cataegis, expugnatio or perhaps even

*

turbido

*

but you probably don't

*

care because you don't even

*

care enough about yourself to

*

use your other

*

hand to press the

*

shift key to

*

capitalise the way you refer to your

*

self.

***

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


RudolphUkka wrote:





 

I don't

*

recall

*

Pep losing any

*

arguments .......


B u t   w h a t   d i d   h e   w i n ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Perrie Juran wrote:


RudolphUkka wrote:





 

I don't

*

recall

*

Pep losing any

*

arguments .......


B u t   w h a t   d i d   h e   w i n ?

 

 

Infamy?

 

Sorry, the Carry On joke is too

*

hackneyed to repeat.

***

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


RudolphUkka wrote:


Phoebe Avro wrote:

Latin for Storm is tempest , i am sure i can use that!

 

Actually in Latin Storm is

*

tempestas or

*

procella, cataegis, expugnatio or perhaps even

*

turbido

*

 


 

In Brooklynese it's 'da Storm.' 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


RudolphUkka wrote:

I don't like

*

boring

*

longwinded

*

posters who state the

*

obvious and I refuse to

*

agree with their pretentious

*

nonsense whatever

*

gender, religion, race, disability or handedness they may

*

claim in a

*

futile

*

manner because they have no

*

way of

*

proving it to me.

***


this post however proves to me that there is a resurrection.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's probably not something I've lost too much sleep over, to be honest.

If person #2 has just explained the theory of relativity but, in his rush, spelled it relutivity, chances are that person #1 has to pick on the spelling because he hasn't the means to make any intelligent reply to something he doesn't understand. But when that happens, most people are well aware of what's going on, so it's really just person #1 shooting himself in the foot.

On the other hand, if a person notes he's being constantly picked up for his grammar, spelling - and let's not forget punctuation - he might want to question whether he's fully comprehensible or not. Hardly worth posting if nobody understand what you're trying to say.

Re: ESLers - it's usually clear when somebody is having some problems because English is not their native tongue and a little patience is the minimum courtesy which should be extended. However, maybe sometimes, it might be wise to recognise that the level of language being used by the majority is way above your own skills. Personally, I would think twice before subjecting native French speakers to my icky French in a French discussion forum. I wouldn't expect them to dumb down the language to make it accessible to me. N'est pas?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Carole Franizzi wrote: Personally, I would think twice before subjecting native French speakers to my icky French in a French discussion forum. I wouldn't expect them to dumb down the language to make it accessible to me. N'est pas?

 

Je

*

crois qu'elle est une bonne

*

idee.

***

N'est-ce pas!

***

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


RudolphUkka wrote:


Carole Franizzi wrote: Personally, I would think twice before subjecting native French speakers to my icky French in a French discussion forum. I wouldn't expect them to dumb down the language to make it accessible to me. N'est pas?

 

Je

*

crois qu'elle est une bonne

*

idee.

***

N'est-ce pas!

***

 

Oh la la la la la! Mais "n'est pas" est une forme interrogatif, pas affermatif et certainment pas esclamatif - pourquoi il y a une pointe esclamatif apres une questione????

(see what I mean? should any Frenchman be subjected to that?)

(did I get any of it right?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Carole Franizzi wrote:


RudolphUkka wrote:


Carole Franizzi wrote: Personally, I would think twice before subjecting native French speakers to my icky French in a French discussion forum. I wouldn't expect them to dumb down the language to make it accessible to me. N'est pas?

 

Je

*

crois qu'elle est une bonne

*

idee.

***

N'est-ce pas!

***

 

Oh la la la la la! Mais "n'est pas" est une forme interrogatif, pas affermatif et certainment pas esclamatif - pourquoi il y a une pointe esclamatif apres une questione????

(see what I mean? should any Frenchman be subjected to that?)

(did I get
any
 of it right?)

Oooo, je voudrais des poupon grise, s'il vous plait Carole, depuis que vous demandez.

Yep Carole, that sounds right. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Eloise Baily wrote:


Carole Franizzi wrote:


RudolphUkka wrote:


Carole Franizzi wrote: Personally, I would think twice before subjecting native French speakers to my icky French in a French discussion forum. I wouldn't expect them to dumb down the language to make it accessible to me. N'est pas?

 

Je

*

crois qu'elle est une bonne

*

idee.

***

N'est-ce pas!

***

 

Oh la la la la la! Mais "n'est pas" est une forme interrogatif, pas affermatif et certainment pas esclamatif - pourquoi il y a une pointe esclamatif apres une questione????

(see what I mean? should any Frenchman be subjected to that?)

(did I get
any
 of it right?)

Oooo, je voudrais des poupon grise, s'il vous plait Carole, depuis que vous demandez.

Yep Carole, that sounds right.
;)

Tu m’appelle’ une poupon???????? Comment dare-ez vous???? Tu as appelle’ ma mere une pikie?? Tu n’as respecte’ ma famille ….mais je ne suis pas bovvered!!! :smileytongue:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


RudolphUkka wrote:


Carole Franizzi wrote: Personally, I would think twice before subjecting native French speakers to my icky French in a French discussion forum. I wouldn't expect them to dumb down the language to make it accessible to me. N'est pas?

 

Je

*

crois qu'elle est une bonne

*

idee.

***

N'est-ce pas!

***

avez

*

vous

*

un

***

cuppa?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...