Attacking a person's spelling and grammar?

honerken

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3447 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

if you can't see the holes in your own logic even after they are pointed out to you, I'm going to have to rate that statement "unlikely".

btw, didn't you claim you had work to do that was more important than posting here? seems like improving your consistency might improve your work ethic.

ETA:
and I'm out for the night, but feel free to post and we can pick it up tomorrow, but I'll leave you with a thought...

If you always judge your value through other peoples eyes, you'll always lose out in the end because there will always be someone who sees you in a negative light. If you always judge your value through your own eyes, you'll never lose, because it doesn't matter what others see.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Void Singer wrote:

nah, you got the general idea...  for the specifics see Venus's reply. I was just avoiding moderation by not calling it what it really is.  

LOL. I do have a 'frame of reference' but for some reason that didn't click. It's not, in my experience, a common topic between males (and I is one so I at least have some background). One guy I knew who had women practically falling all over him once referred to himself as being 'hung like a stud field mouse'.

Lynda Klossovsky wrote:

Was würde passieren, wenn Englisch nicht
I
hre Muttersprache
wäre
.. Englisch ist
eine harte Sprache

schwer
zu lernen...

Wenn Englisch nicht meine Muttersprache wäre (was tatsächlich der Fall ist), dann würde ich Tippfehler und Grammatik-Katastrophen auf deutsch korrigieren ;)

But the fact that English is not my native language doesn't keep me from trying to articulate myself in (American) English as well as I can (I was about to write "as best I can" because I've often read it that way, but it struck me as grammatically incorrect). The excuse of being a second language speaker only goes so far. Untrained English speakers can be expected to try harder than others, just like a new forklift driver has to try harder not to skewer his co-workers.

I've noticed that most unintelligible or incoherent posts come down to sloppiness or a general inability to express one's thoughts, both of which is very common nowadays. In my opinion, there is no excuse for not taking the time to write a concise and coherent post, not bothering to proof-read it before hitting the post button, or for not using punctuation. Especially in this day and age where people communicate in a written format in a world-wide medium.

PS: As a second language speaker, I'm glad when people take the time to point out my mistakes. How else am I supposed to learn? It would be silly to view a helpful comment as an attack.

Storm Clarence wrote:

Funny how one poster whacked their complete oeuvre.  Nothing like posting replies and then in the middle of the evening editing all your replies to a (.).    

Actually, and in the spirit of this OP, her replies are now grammatically correct.  

laughs!

Not her complete ouevre.  Her greeting to Dog still stands.

I belong to several forums even used to moderate a few. Most to do with a technical nature dealing with hunting, archery or vehicles. I can tell you without a doubt that equating someone's spelling and grammar to their knowledge on a subject is a big mistake. There are many many people in the world that are very smart and knowledgeable about a certain subject or subjects yet don't type well, spell well or have perfect grammar. Or possibly don't take the time to read over what they typed several times or bother to use spell check. To discount the information they give based on that criteria is simply ignorant.

For example my doctor has such an accent I can barely understand him sometimes and his penmanship is horrid and his spelling and grammar isn't all that great all the time either. That being said he is an outstanding doctor and I am glad to have him. I don't know, maybe he has better things to worry about?

By the way I took the time to check over my post for spelling and typos and wasted about 5 minutes I could have spent doing something else. Not to mention that spell check didn't find some errors or missing words or stuff that should not have been there. Damn, now I have to spell check this and read it over, more time wasted just to make someone happy.

5minutes!?!? I admire your dedication at least.

if I may make a suggestion... there's this great add-on called AfterThe Deadline.... it's a spell/grammar checker in it's own right, but also enables native spellchecking in rich text boxes like lithium's.

and I'll agree in general that some pro's on a topic (more often topics of physical practice) have horrid spelling/grammar, their knowledge tends to shine through.... the amateur pretenders though tend to have the same poor behaviors, and it just makes their lack of knowledge even more apparent... plus they're much more common =x

I   t r y   t o   t y p e   s l o w   s o  t h a t   I   a m   n o t   m i s u n d e r s t o o d .    B u t    s o m e t i m e s   I   l a b o u r   t o   l o n g   o v e r   m y   w o r d s .   H o w e v e r    I   d o   a l w a y s   m a k e   a n    e f f o r t .

“W h a t   i s   w r i t t e n   w i t h o u t   e f f o r t   i s   i n  g e n e r a l   r e a d   w i t h o u t   p l e a s u r e.”

-   S a m u e l   J o h n s o n

Angelique LaFollette wrote:

Ian Undercroft wrote:

Making due and proper allowance for those who don't have English as their first language, >>
you're kidding yourself if you're suggesting that a person's grammar and spelling doesn't, as a general rule, also say a lot about their intelliegence.<<

I might accept this as a trueism were it not far more common for the person LOSING the debate (Despite proper grammar and spelling) to critisize the presentation of the one who is giving them a logical lambasting.

IRL these would be the same sort of person who would resort to mocking a persons accent or pronunciation rather than address a point or points for which they have no supportable answer. It's a cheap and unworthy form of obfuscation, and one i tend to ignore.

As for those of you like myself (Self educated, dyslexic, AND Not originally of English speaking origins) Don't let people who do this intimidate you into silence (For that is indeed their Intent). Even if your form isn't perfect, you still have something of value to contribute.

Angel.

I don't

recall

Pep losing any

arguments and he always used to

criticise

lazy

posters who demonstrated that they didn't

care about others by

failing to take the

time to make sure that their

posts were as

clearly expressed as they could be so they

communicated themselves effectively, whether they were

ESLers or not.

Phoebe Avro wrote:

Latin for Storm is tempest , i am sure i can use that!

Actually in Latin Storm is

tempestas or

procella, cataegis, expugnatio or perhaps even

turbido

but you probably don't

care because you don't even

care enough about yourself to

use your other

hand to press the

shift key to

capitalise the way you refer to your

self.

RudolphUkka wrote:

I don't like

boring

longwinded

posters who state the

obvious and I refuse to

agree with their pretentious

nonsense whatever

gender, religion, race, disability or handedness they may

claim in a

futile

manner because they have no

way of

proving it to me.

this post however proves to me that there is a resurrection.

It's probably not something I've lost too much sleep over, to be honest.

If person #2 has just explained the theory of relativity but, in his rush, spelled it relutivity, chances are that person #1 has to pick on the spelling because he hasn't the means to make any intelligent reply to something he doesn't understand. But when that happens, most people are well aware of what's going on, so it's really just person #1 shooting himself in the foot.

On the other hand, if a person notes he's being constantly picked up for his grammar, spelling - and let's not forget punctuation - he might want to question whether he's fully comprehensible or not. Hardly worth posting if nobody understand what you're trying to say.

Re: ESLers - it's usually clear when somebody is having some problems because English is not their native tongue and a little patience is the minimum courtesy which should be extended. However, maybe sometimes, it might be wise to recognise that the level of language being used by the majority is way above your own skills. Personally, I would think twice before subjecting native French speakers to my icky French in a French discussion forum. I wouldn't expect them to dumb down the language to make it accessible to me. N'est pas?

Carole Franizzi wrote: Personally, I would think twice before subjecting native French speakers to my icky French in a French discussion forum. I wouldn't expect them to dumb down the language to make it accessible to me. N'est pas?

Je

crois qu'elle est une bonne

idee.

N'est-ce pas!

RudolphUkka wrote:

Carole Franizzi wrote: Personally, I would think twice before subjecting native French speakers to my icky French in a French discussion forum. I wouldn't expect them to dumb down the language to make it accessible to me. N'est pas?

Je

idee.

N'est-ce pas!

Oh la la la la la! Mais "n'est pas" est une forme interrogatif, pas affermatif et certainment pas esclamatif - pourquoi il y a une pointe esclamatif apres une questione????

(see what I mean? should any Frenchman be subjected to that?)

(did I get any of it right?)

Carole Franizzi wrote:

RudolphUkka wrote:

Je

idee.

N'est-ce pas!

Oh la la la la la! Mais "n'est pas" est une forme interrogatif, pas affermatif et certainment pas esclamatif - pourquoi il y a une pointe esclamatif apres une questione????

(did I get
any
 of it right?)

Oooo, je voudrais des poupon grise, s'il vous plait Carole, depuis que vous demandez.

Yep Carole, that sounds right. ;)

Eloise Baily wrote:

Carole Franizzi wrote:

RudolphUkka wrote:

Je

idee.

N'est-ce pas!

(did I get
any
 of it right?)

Oooo, je voudrais des poupon grise, s'il vous plait Carole, depuis que vous demandez.

Yep Carole, that sounds right.
;)

Tu m’appelle’ une poupon???????? Comment dare-ez vous???? Tu as appelle’ ma mere une pikie?? Tu n’as respecte’ ma famille ….mais je ne suis pas bovvered!!! :smileytongue:

RudolphUkka wrote:

Je

idee.

N'est-ce pas!

avez

vous

un

cuppa?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3447 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.