Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
honerken

Attacking a person's spelling and grammar?

Recommended Posts

legally I'm american, but feel free to make all the standard comments about how americans have no respect for anyone else... because it's true of the majority of us over here... I strive to be better than that (it helps I get around a bit).

let me make an anology to explain my previous post*. To people walk into a restaurant, speaking loudly with each other in a language foreign to most of the already present people. Those people can neither understand nor ignore the foriegn speaking persons without leaving the location. how would you characterize those foreign speaking patrons? how would the other guests characterize them? now imagine a party and group of people are talking, and a few of them decide to speaking in a language foreign to most of the group. what effect does that have on the group discussion? how do the excluded members of the group respond?

now draw the parallels to what happened to the conversation in this thread topic. sudden death until a common language was reinserted.

a few phrases back and forth, maybe even a couple of posts, most people wouldn't be put off enough to be annoyed... but it kept going so I stated my opinion of it. Carole's post just happened to provide a perfect opportunity to soften the blow with a touch of sardonic humor.

the specific language never mattered to my statement, nor did how it was being mangled, just the difference from the expected norm and the effect it was having.

*please note this is to explain, since you seem genuinely interested. this is not some attempt to rehash it all.

 

for the record I have only ever AR'd our resident spammers, because disagreement isn't and shouldn't ever be wrong. (I do however frequently RIC posts that are in the wrong section, and request them moved to where they belong). Likewise I rarely mute people people unless they follow me around attempting to harrass me (sorry, I did consider writing a mute function for people using these forums, like I did for the last one, but cross coding it for all the different views was headache inducing... I did suggest the feature to both LL and Lithium devs though).

If I disagree with someone I say so... and they are welcome to disagree right back. As for just walking away from the thread.... there are limited options there since all I could do to retain the discussion is start another one on the same topic (tacky if you ask me) and experience tells me that when someone does that the same problems tend to just flow into the next one. Nor am I the sort of person to let something like that be used to chase me out of a thread or a forum. I stated my position, and I let it drop. if it gets used as a weapon to try and annoy me, people will find it's not effective. Had it been something that only affected me I probably wouldn't have bothered making the post at all.

PS
apologies for the length, but I'm no good at concise when explaining motives to a general audience.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My quote button seems to be having issues, so doin it the old fashioned way..

"

Here is an example of someone asking for help but who can't be bothered to type properly.  While I can't be bothered to correct them I certainly can't be bothered to translate this to English so that I can assist either.  As a secondary consideration it makes me think they are under 16 and so should not be in SL anyway.

There have been a few questions there this week that were incomprehensible even with a close reading.  Clearly they were by non-English speakers and that's perfectly understandable.  The usual advice there is to try asking in their own language.  When someone clearly IS an Engliah-speaker but is too lazy, sloppy or impolite to ask properly then they don't deserve the time we could spend helping people who need it."

 

Ok, after following the link to make sure that wasnt about me (whew!) I have to say that I had no trouble understanding what he was saying.

I dont have great spelling skills, thats probably obvious already lol, I dont generaly use spellchecks either. Not from laziness, but just because if I spell checked everything I said, I couldnt say half the things I wanted to because I'd be spending all my time correcting myself. Wait a minute...mabey that is laziness o.O

 

edited to add- I can't believe I read the whole thing, and I wish I had finished reading it before I posted lol, so I would have known not to. Beating a dead horse and all that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Storm Clarence wrote:


Ima Rang wrote:


Eloise Baily wrote:

Void, there are few here as helpful as you. I look up to you in that respect and help wherever I feel qualified, but you are a help legend, no doubt.

On the down side, I don't even know what nationality you are, or what language is your first, but, as an English educated person I can assure you that I can speak bugger all languages, but I can kind of read and understand French. The French have words like le weekend and we have breakfast in a cafe...but we pronounce it caff.

Please don't even get me started on what chips are!
;)

Rude and obnoxious is what I think your reaction was IMO. You could have turned off, muted, ignored as you often advise.

I still don't understand. It saddens me though because I like your posts.

 

 

Hmmm...and your response was polite and socially acceptable in every culture?

This thread kind of reminds me of that time a poster nearly stroked out because someone suggesting that the FC was an excellent place for noobs to meet people that were kind and willing to help them on their virgin journey into digital life, was violating the CS and TOS because they saw it as a commercial interest even though anyone, free of cost, could participate with or without joining the group and with no associated costs.  But, here, now, it is perfectly ok for this person to violate the "no posting off topic" community standard and chastise those that point out that it appears to be a mockery of sorts.   Forums are so interesting, yes? 

 

Ima you were not the only one that saw this.  She was being a petty troll that was spanked by Hippie.  She knows it, you know it, Hippie knows it, we all know it.   

Peace 

Say what? Who? When?

Although there’s a chance a handful of people reading Eloise’s and my posts might have felt excluded and unable to take part (cuz they haven’t been to the “Google School of Fronch” and can’t speak such fluent French as Eloise and me), I suspect there are a good few more who have read your and Ima’s little exchange and are totally at a loss as to what your little private conversation is about…I know I am. Careful. You can get sent to the corner round here for stuff like that.

C’est quoi?? Oui? Quand??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Void. Thanks for your response. I was having a giggle. No offense was intended, and we weren't sitting sipping coffee. Looks like coming back was not such a good idea as it's this kind of argument and disagreement that kept me away in the first place. As I said though, I appreciate your honest response.

@Ima. I am as honest, kind and smiley as I can be. I try not to respond to you at all.

Edited: Because I'm better than that. Sorry :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Eloise Baily wrote:

@Void. Thanks for your response. I was having a giggle. No offense was intended, and we weren't sitting sipping coffee. Looks like coming back was not such a good idea as it's this kind of argument and disagreement that kept me away in the first place. As I said though, I appreciate your honest response.

@Ima. I am as honest, kind and smiley as I can be. I try not to respond to you at all.

Edited: Because I'm better than that. Sorry
:(

Interesting.  The fact that you posted that you "don't like me and find me aggressive and cruel," is in and of itself aggressive and in the event that you were a person for whom I held in high regard, it would have probably been considered cruel as well.  For those following this thread through email, such as myself, your honest opinion as it was originally written, has been noted and provides proof that you are not "better than that ."

You have, for no reason that I can discern, told Void she was rude and obnoxious, called me aggressive and cruel, and asked Storm if he was channeling Pep....Perhaps you should head on over to the cafe and order yourself up a heaping helping of self-awareness. 

Have a beautiful and blessed day, Eloise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know it goes to email Ima. That's why I posted my apology.

If I thought it would remain anonymous I'd probably have taken the coward's way out and deleted it without saying anything. I dislike confrontation.

Please take your love of forum fighting elsewhere Ima. I don't share your interest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Eloise Baily wrote:

I know it goes to email Ima. That's why I posted my apology.

If I thought it would remain anonymous I'd probably have taken the coward's way out and deleted it without saying anything. I dislike confrontation.

Please take your love of forum fighting elsewhere Ima. I don't share your interest.

I have not initiated a forum fight, Eloise.  If you do, in fact, dislike confrontation, then it would probably behoove you to cease directing insulting remarks towards those who post opinions that you do not agree with. 

I do not, contrary to your continued insulting remarks, have a love of forum fighting.  But thank you again for you kind, honest, non-aggressive opinion. 

Have a nice day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Carole Franizzi wrote:

Carole Franizzi reaction to Ima Rang accusing Eloise Bailey of being aggressive and trolly:

laughing.jpg


 Where exactly did I assert that she was being trolly? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

any time you get multiple people in a shared space, you are going to see conflict; heck, forums thrive on it. the trick to making it enjoyable if you don't like conflict (neither do I particularly) is to be interested in the different viewpoints and how people got there, or not worrying about what the person you are talking to does with the information, but holding out the hope that others reading it get something out of it. that and never ever take any of it personally.

for the people that enjoy conflict.... they don't need any of those things to enjoy it, and I can pretty much guarantee they don't take it personally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


rotpaulette Carter wrote:

Now you are talking a foreign language on purpose, it is rude and obnoxious.:smileyvery-happy:

Please be nice and get back to our french official language.:matte-motes-nerdy:

 

Oh, cherie, mais, you see, there have been des protestes – apparently it is not au fait to faire les postes en francais. Personalment, je ne comprend pas. Pour moi, it is a kerfuffle over rien, mais what do I connaitre?

bisous,

Carole

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I

*

hope no one too

*

sensitive from these

*

forums has come across

*

Officer Crabtree from

*

Allo Allo, or was it just the

*

way he was

*

redubbed in the

*

South African version?

***

Rudi

***

Oh and

*

off tout.

*

"translate that" any way you

*

like.

***

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Seem to me ,somebody is not just attacking spelling and grammar, but report person too.....Well carry on mister Arazo."

***

Please could someone

*

translate this

*

incomprehensible

*

nonsense into

*

English please?

***

Rudi

***

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


rotpaulette Carter wrote:

Seem to me ,somebody is not just attacking spelling and grammar, but report person too.....Well carry on mister Arazo.

 

Who you calling mister? I'm a laaaaaaaaaady!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


rotpaulette Carter wrote:

I am sooooo sorry Lady, je vous aime tres fort , bisous partout.

 

Oh, de rien, cherie (Don't mention it, darling)

Bisous partout a vous aussi (kisses all over to you, too)

 

Simultaneous translation kindly supplied by Pepe' le Pew

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...