Where to put my magic box

Daerci

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4436 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

with the introduction of Direct Delivery, Magic Boxes are being phased out as long as you are using the latest LL viewer or Firestorm viewer or any recently released viewer with a merchant out box you can sell on the marketplace without owning or renting land you might have to re-log on the marketplace but anything you place in the merchant out box will be ready for you to list and sell on the marketplace

>Is there some place I can set my magic box for free?

You might be able to rez it on my squat until you find something more permanent, assuming it's just one box.

Message me in-world if you're interested.

In the meantime, DO NOT rez it in any place where the map shows other boxes rezzed, as such locations are borked too often to bother risking it.

It you want to see how your box should work before committing to anything, just take it to Help Island or some other Linden sim and attach it to your avatar before synching to the Market.

You'll need to load your box before that, which you can get away with in a public sandbox as long as you clean it up right away. Just don't bother attaching it to your avatar in a sandbox because those places are massively lagged.

The reason a box will function correctly when attached to your avatar on Linden land is simpy that Lindens never bork Linden land.

You can even TP out and it should work fine as long as it still thinks it's rezzed on Linden land.

Once you've observed proper box function, that should be your standard in selecting some other place to rez the thing.

Josh Susanto wrote:

>
Is there some place I can set my magic box for free?

You might be able to rez it on my squat until you find something more permanent, assuming it's just one box.

Message me in-world if you're interested.

In the meantime, DO NOT rez it in any place where the map shows other boxes rezzed, as such locations are borked too often to bother risking it.

It you want to see how your box should work before committing to anything, just take it to Help Island or some other Linden sim and attach it to your avatar before synching to the Market.

You'll need to load your box before that, which you can get away with in a public sandbox as long as you clean it up right away. Just don't bother attaching it to your avatar in a sandbox because those places are massively lagged.

The reason a box will function correctly when attached to your avatar on Linden land is simpy that Lindens never bork Linden land.

You can even TP out and it should work fine as long as it still thinks it's rezzed on Linden land.

Once you've observed proper box function, that should be your standard in selecting some other place to rez the thing.

Voodoo!  Voodoo I tell ya!  ROFL! :smileyvery-happy:

Meaning I think it's weird that so little goes wrong for people who registered right around the time you did, and that you've had so little to say about this issue until other people registered around the same also started showing up making such similar points.

Don't you think it's weird?

Just to clarify, it's not even my land.

After the guy I was splitting rent with (he was making the payments) left SL, I contacted the owner about making other arrangements and said I'd be willing to pay a lot, but I have got no answer to several such inquiries.

I offered full cooperation in a smooth removal of my stuff from the sim any time that might be necessary, but, so far, nothing... and it's been over 3 months. 

I feel weird both about more boxes being put on it without explicit permission, and also about not sharing the opportunity to do so; thus the one-box offer. If I end up eating other people's back rent for one box, I can't see wanting to bother them for it, and if the owner wants to know WTF at some point, I need to be able to explain things as less than shamelessly opportunistic.

Why don't you just try the Outbox, which is under Me in your viewer. If you're new you're probably using the right viewer.

DD will be the only way to sell your items after June, so why learn to use a Magic Box when you'll have to switch over anyway. 

I would summarise DD as a new system, with an ill-managed transition, and a lot of work for existing merchants.

The old Magic Box system has been falling apart for a long time.

Since the original poster is starting from scratch, it would be better to go straight to Direct Delivery, but I wouldn't call either a good system as they currently work. 

>Since the original poster is starting from scratch, it would be better to go straight to Direct Delivery, but I wouldn't call either a good system as they currently work. 

That's advising the OP to count chickens before they hatch.

Since the DD deployment, the trend from LL has been:

1) more DD problems every day, not fewer

2) boxes working better than usual; A LOT better

3) box cutoff date already extended in light of the smaller number of problems which had already been identified by the time that decision was made

Unless something changes which should already have changed, and which has not changed, the logical course to expect from these trends is either an indefinite extension of the magic boxes as statistically better option to DD or a shutoff of DD.

This isn't necessarily what I think will really happen, but it's what the available trend information should tell us to expect.

Josh Susanto wrote:
This isn't necessarily what I think will really happen, but it's what the available trend information should tell us to expect.

...should tell YOU to expect, not "us".

There are merchants with problems with Direct Delivery transtiion. And there are many merchants without problems. I have no problems but I try support the JIRAs opened about issues with DD (and I try not to speculate, imagine things, and repeat my imaginations again and again and again).

Daerci wrote:

I would really appreciate it if you'd let me put it on your land
:)
It is just one box, I'm at work right now but I'll message you in world when I get home tonight if you're on

This will work for i guess for a little while, but they are forcing everyone to go to DD soon so it might not be worth it, especially if you are able to get it setup with no trouble and have reliable deliveries. I've been using it since the first week and haven't had any issues. If I were you, I'd set it up with DD and then if you have trouble, then go with the box on land, but considering they are about to yank all boxes, I wouldn't bother unless I couldn't get it to work for me.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4436 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.