Question regarding COALESCED objects

Lynna Yorcliffe

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4492 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Why is it that if someone uses land return feature all your items are returned coalesced (in one big mess) ? I can see the need for that if you're returning a linked item such as a house, or vehicle, but when items are not attached to something and not linked, why cant it be set to return those individual items to lost and found, without the coalesced 'feature'. Coalescing is something almost everyone HATES with a passion. It makes it difficult if not impossible to find items since the item can be hidden inside the coalesced grouping - unsearchable. Isn't it time someone make a improvement on this and make something more customer friendly ? People dont like it, if you don't believe me take a opinon pole. We all detest it, groan when it happens, and it usually makes a person extremely annoyed agitated and even yes, angry when someone does that to their 'stuff'. Just saying - with all these brilliant minds cant someone think of a better way ?

I personally would much prefer having one coalesced object returned instead if many separate objects that would be mixed in with my existing inventory and, thus, hard to locate.  That would take a lot of time.

All you need to do is rez the coalesced object and then take the objects, if you don't want them colaesced.  That would not take a lot of time.

Coalesced objects are a huge win if you have multiple objects as part of a build that need to be re-rezzed in the same relative positions and rotations with respect to each other.

I haven't encountered the embedded Linden plant problem for a very long time and sorta thought they changed it so the plants don't get included in the coalesced objects, but then I haven't had many Linden plants in recent years, so the problem may persist for all I know.

Those plants would interfere with my usual practice of rezzing coalesced objects in the middle of an empty sandbox (usually the Adult Premium ones off the northwest Zindra coast), with the build tool open before rezzing.  I do that because objects seem to rez from inventory at their centroids (a la llRezObject) rather than the origin of their root prim (llRezAtRoot), so the sim often refuses to rez because the object's true position is somewhere off the intended parcel.  In the case of coalesced objects, there are multiple object root origins involved, so they could be scattered some distance from where I point the wand when rezzing.

We get coallesced objects because LL chose being nice to the asset servers over being nice to the Residents.

When someone used parcel object return, and returns hundreds of individual items at once, that created a massive load surge on the asset servers, making the asset delivery system less reliable for everyone. Returning the objects in a mashed up mess of one or more coallesced objects places far less strain on the asset servers, since they record fewer transactions.

It would have been much better to rework the asset delivery system to be more robust and more capable of handling the load. But that would have taken far more effort and likely would incur far more expense in licensing a real commercial-grade database engine instead of using freeware crap like MySQL. They elected to do it the cheap way, and didn't care if it was inconvenient to the Residents.

If you still have issues with that coalesced bundle, you might need to take a trip to Unpackistan.  You will need assistance getting into that region.  Last I heard, a support ticket was required.  Alternatively, there once was a Linden with access to a nifty database tool.  He probably made it himself.  It was to seperate coalesced bundles into something smaller, I think.  Getting his help probably also required a support ticket.  I do not know if any of the full-time sandboxes allow placing of Linden Plants but if you chose that route do be prepared to hunt for your stuff throughout the region, depending on the relative placement of the included items.  Minimap with debug setting MiniMapPrimMaxRadius = 0.000 meters is VERY handy for this as that makes only your own stuff visible.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4492 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.