I was hit by a 'linden sheep' Im lagging and having issues what can I do?

Vixensix

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4502 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

While I was busy maintain my AVIs appearance I was assaulted by a large sheep in a public sandbox. I am lagging and can not function properly. I am receiving messages in French I think that mention something about "Bad Lab Open Cartel" but no matter what choice I select nothing changes. Now I am starting to get hit with cutouts with this Bad Lab name on them along with a siren. WTH? Have I been exposed to some type of SL virus and if so how do I get rid of it? Relogging doesn't seem to help and how can I protect myself in the future?

10 answers to this question

That has to be the oddest question of the evening.  :smileylol:  There's a fair chance that you are wearing some object that you picked up by mistake -- maybe you clicked on the sheep and it gave you something that is now attached to you.  Teleport to a nice quiet sim like Pooley and move away from the landing spot.  Then open your inventory's WORN tab and look at every single object you are wearing.  You're looking for anything that you can't remember putting on.  If you find something, take it off.  Do that with everything, taking off every attachment if you have to until you are wearing just system clothes.  The object may be transparent, very small, or even inside you.  That should get rid of it.

As a last resort, rebuild your av to factory specs by clicking on Develop (CTRL + Q) >> Avatar >> CharacterTests >> Test Male/Female .  That will make you into a raw newbie again, but you can recover your normal self by adding your own shape, skin, hair, and clothing in less than a minute.  I don't normally recommend that step because it's usually overkill, but as a last resort, it's good to know about.

• Like 1

it's not a virus.  I'm not familiar with this particular griefer item, but you could a) have something attached to you that's causing the problem, or b) have something that is following you around, or c) have been given an item that you're wearing now that's doing this.  Try the following:

1.  Do not log back in to the region you left.  Log in somewhere else.

2.  If that's not it, check all the items you are wearing.  Anything you don't recognize?  Take it off.

3. If that's not it, check all your active gestures.  Any you don't recognize?  Disable them.

If none of this seems to work, try a Character Test and turn yourself into a basic newbie avatar.  If tha works, put on your normal appearance one item at a time, watching for a recurrence.

Also, if you have RLV in your viewer and have it enabled, log off, disable it in preferences, and relog.

Beside the excellent advices you were given, being French myself (although not a sheep :smileyvery-happy:), you may want to copy/paste here the messages you received in French. It might give us a better understanding of what this sheep said and did to you. (Beware of French sheeps, btw, they are the worse, believe me: I know!) :smileywink:

Welcome to Second Life Answers, Vixensix.

Do the Linden Sheep that pushed you happen to look something like this .....

little fluffy clouds.jpg

I encountered some of these a week or two ago on a mainland sim where someone had not put auto-return on their land, and the little blighters tried to push me all over the place.

However, I think that you may have been hit by several griefing attacks at once when you were in the sandbox.  It's the weekend, the kids will all come out to play ! :matte-motes-angry:

Unfortunately, the Linden-owned public sandboxes are prone to attracting griefers, but it is unlikely you have actually been exposed to a virus.  However, anything that can spam the screen visually, can put a big strain on your graphics card, and anything that spams text can potentially fill up your hard drive very quickly if you have opted to save chatlogs to hard drive (as I and many others do).

Measures to take when this happens are:

(1) Avoid Linden-owned sandboxes - go premium membership and use the premium sandboxes, or find a group that has a private sandbox.

(2) Click and mute/block anything that is harrassing you.

(3) Right click on an object to see if you can ascertain who the owner of the griefing object is, and submit an Abuse Report to LL via the "help" button at the top of your viewer screen (category to use is Disturbing the Peace - and you'll see a choice of sub-categories there).  If you are unable to ascertain who the owner of the griefing device is, you can use Governor Linden in the name field.

(4) Or log out quickly and relog into a different location. Attempting to relog into the same sandbox while the griefing object is just likely to lead you to crash straightaway.

• Like 1

Haha. It really depends on the griefer attack. Apart from the number of prims, and the bump scripts slowing the sim down, and bumping me out of the sim, the sheep were just funny for me. I think I was very lucky, though, because my first partner in SL, who was also my mentor, was also a griefer. I mean, I did not see his tools as griefer tools, but he would set me on fire, or have monsters chase me, or orbit me. I thought it was just fun, and I bought tools to do the same back to him. That was fun :-))) But the griefer stuff I do not like is the stuff that hurts graphics cards, that loud flashing, rotating, self-replicating nonsense, along with the chat spam, which I've discovered can fill up your hard drive at a rate of around 20mb per minute!

I agree that people should come back to the threads they create and let us know their outcome.

just had the same here. sandbox island. just saw clouds hit me from behind and rezzed into 2 sheep sprayed with "linden"

lmao- it was funny-ish, yet kinda concerning. my avatar looked horrified, bless

flew into the sky, no option to detatch the sheep- they glowed in purple on right click.

my viewer crashed... is still on not responding now.

update- swapped to agni grid after i gave laptop a restart. sheep still attached,got a good luck and the spray says ....swapped back to viewer and sheep have gone, lmao. back to trying to build a pet rat :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4502 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.