What would cost the least for having your own place?

MsShy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4446 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am just wondering what is the least expensive way to have your own place? Is it cheaper to rent a sky box (I know someone that rents one, never asked what the rent was, lol) or would it cost less to rent land (I have a house that cost L$0 from a freebie store)? I figure with the land option it would need to be big enough to fit the house, so I would need to figure out it's size...

I've seen many terms used when it comes to land and not quite sure what they mean or refer to: sim, tier, parcel, region

You can do the math yourself.  If a skybox rental is $L100 per week and a parcel of land is $L250 per month the parcel is cheaper.  There are 4 1/2 weeks in a month (on average) so the skybox is going to cost twice what the land parcel costs.  You have to weigh a lot more than just cost though.  A parcel of land usually comes with a fixed number of prims you can use.  So does a skybox.  How many prims will factor into your decision.  If you get the use of 200 prims with the skybox and 100 prims for the land parcel, then it very well could be the skybox is a better deal.

Remember, though.  When you rent land (or a skybox) you are paying someone who pays Linden Lab tier (land use fee or tax, however you want to look at it).  Your rent will, at least, equal what the tier for that land (a skybox has to have land tied to it to exist in SL).  Often it's more since the owner who is renting the land will most likely want a little extra to put in his/her pocket after the tier is paid.

One thing to consider is that the cost of tier per square meter (or per prim) is less on larger parcels, so if a landowner owns a mainland sim. It costs her 0.0029 USD (195.00/65536) per square meter per week.  When all costs and benefits are considered, a premium membership costs very little, if paid annually.  Net of the stipend, at current exchange rate, it costs 7.00 USD per year. ( 72 - ((300 x 52)/240) = 7).  So the 512 square meters you get with it is really cheap, at 0.0011 USD per square meter per month.  For any beyond that, though, it costs a lot more for small holdings.  That next 1024 square meters will cost you 5.00 USD per month, or 0.0048 USD per square meter per month.  I don't know enough about actual rental rates to say what they are, but there a person certainly could make money by renting whole sims from LL and renting out small parcels at prices that beat what a resident would have to pay LL as tier for the same sized parcel.

Hi Ms Shy !

one more thing to consider is...renting a fully furnished sky home..it might cost say 100-150 per week..but have all the kit in it, rather than you having to buy/supply your own. (some also give a prim allowance so you can personalise it)...

Plus if you rent from a private landlord, as opposed to LL direct...look for a landlord who gives added value ie: live help & assistance. A private estate may also give you lots of extras, like landscaped/themed areas, activities laid on, areas you can use for relaxing/inviting friends over ...beautiful beaches...forests...boats & jet skis to play with...etc etc

Hope you find what youre looking for !

Peggy, I actually didn't know what the prices where for both (I had only seen a minimum price of about $L500 per week for land), ty! You mentioned 'prims' and I've seen that term and I'm not really sure what it means. Wondering if one item would be considered one prim, or if it depends on the size of the item, and what kind of items count towards it, etc.? Would it be just items that are out of inventory and placed on/in the land/skybox? 

Rage Riptide wrote:

I bought a mainland 512 for 240L. Can't get much cheaper than that. And no rent!

Yes thats great...congrats ;) However..mainland does not suit everybody, it comes with its own problems and issues (much of which you will see written about here in these very forums) There are nice bits of mainland, but even they can turn into ugly ghetto's in a heartbeat...no regulations about what or who can build..neighbours who encroach on your land..and lag lag lag.

One day you have a view..next day its a neon night lcub or a mall outside your window. Maybe a breedables ranch rocks up and then you cant move...if the sim gets a problem and needs a restart..you cant just ask your landlord...on mainland, the landlord has to ask Linden labs..and then wait..and wait a bit more. Private estates dont have too..youll also find by looking around some really good reputable landlords...who will do a lot more for your dollars than LL ever will.

Best thing to do is probably to shop around for a bit. Go to rental offices in-world. Tp to their vacant homes/parcels making note of price, prims and presentation. Prices change quite alot lately there must be quite a bit of under-cutting going on. Do take note of how much effort is put into notecards, look up the owners profiles etc. It might give you an idea about reliablility.

It can be a bit tedious but well worth it. When I first rented a home I went for the first one I got in in-world search looking for the word cottage. Needless to say it was quite ugly and expensive but atleast I had a place to rez things and to figure out what I really wanted.

Think of it like going window shopping :matte-motes-bashful-cute-2:

Krystal Iridescent wrote:

Having always rented, I'm now trying to buy my first piece of mainland.  I have decided that if someone puts something hideous up within my view, I am going to derender it! :smileyvery-happy:

Good solution!

A substantial part of my view looks off the edge of the world, so I will see unobstructed ocean until LL decides to expand Zindra, and it doesn't look like that will be any time soon.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4446 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.