Deploys for the week of 2012-02-20

Oskar Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4445 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Yesterday was a holiday at the Lab. I did not get a chance to update this forum since I was not working.

Second Life Server (main channel)
There was no promotion of code to main channel this week. This code is the same.
Certain regions were restarted for health reasons.

Second Life RC BlueSteel
This channel has some voice changes. There was some unnecessary info being passed on region crossings that we removed. This should make region crossings easier. This code is also on LeTigre.

Second Life RC LeTigre
This is the same project as BlueSteel.

Second Life RC Magnum
This is the Threaded Region Crossing Stage 1 Project. We have hopefully fixed all the ghosting issues.

We will be monitoring this thread during the next week so please feel free to post issues that you feel have been introduced by the new code. Please file a JIRA for issues you find and post the JIRA link into this thread. It really helps us out. When determining if issues are relevant or not research is key. Tracking down exactly the right situation where an issue is occurring greatly speeds up the development process to get fixes in place.
I appreciate your help. Have a good week!

__Oskar

p.s. If you are interested in helping test SecondLife in beta please join the group "Second Life Beta" in-world. We also have an email list where we communicate upcoming projects and how you can help. (https://lists.secondlife.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/server-beta ) Once a week we meet on ADITI to discuss new features, new bugs, new fixes, and other fun stuff. You are more than welcome. Information is here:https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Server_Beta_User_Group

To save folk the hassle of checking, these are essentially the same as last week. The version numbers have all increased. but there's no change to the description, so I'd suppose there have been code changes, but no bug fixes. For instance, is optimising a piece of code a bug fix? Looking at the dates, any changes must have come from Beta Grid experience anyway.

Old code: 2nd Feb 2012

Code to be rolled out: 15th Feb 2012 

The restart went smoothly, it did not seal the massive memory leak that is debilitating all viewers, including V 3, indeed V3 seems the worst hit by this thing which is not a reflection so much of a defect in the viewer but a massively overloaded database that is not sending out responses properly and causing massive procedural loops to build up in memory cache and eventually lead to inevitable crashes.  The more immediate issue though is that this update seems to once again have broken the inventory database and loading inventory is now taking hours to accomplish as commands time out and the loading process freezes.  This was not a serious problem for a couple of weeks but is back now worse than ever and along with that huge memory leak which you can see literally growing as you watch has rendered sl almost unplayable.  Here is hoping that eventually LL makes fixing the database a major priority and does not clutter it further with more burdensome operations such as web profiles and desinger names or more mesh.   All of these potentiall can be very nice but not at the expense of the basic integrity of performance and play.  Hopefully, someone will be listening, and if not welcome to the next wild and crazy misadventure which we will likely see rolled out next week on the RC channels in all its glory.

This is starting to resemble the mess we had in Januarary and December when LL started this disaster, did someone really test this code this time or are we using the same thing as before?  If this is not fixed fast it will be an utter disaster and a rollback will have to be considered.  LL needs to remember that many players are paying hundreds of dollars a year for this service and when the service is not rendered as it is not being rendered today the eventually grow tired of the abuse and leave sl taking with them both their money and the time the invested in helping build the SL community.  They are and have already done this in droves and have not been replaced by new player who are leaving even faster.  If this continues unabated and LL does not pay serious attention to giving and maintaining stable service I fear SL will be doomed.

Lydia Craig wrote:

This is starting to resemble the mess we had in Januarary and December when LL started this disaster, did someone really test this code this time or are we using the same thing as before?  If this is not fixed fast it will be an utter disaster and a rollback will have to be considered.  LL needs to remember that many players are paying hundreds of dollars a year for this service and when the service is not rendered as it is not being rendered today the eventually grow tired of the abuse and leave sl taking with them both their money and the time the invested in helping build the SL community.  They are and have already done this in droves and have not been replaced by new player who are leaving even faster.  If this continues unabated and LL does not pay serious attention to giving and maintaining stable service
I fear SL will be doomed.

Oh no the sky is falling in .... again!

There are getting to be other reasons to leave SL. I know of several groups which have moved en bloc to other grids, but I recnetly learned of another grid (not SL-compatible) aimed at the Adult market, and not pulling any punches with the advertising. If the video was a reliable guide, the AV-design was better.

Linden Lab certainly need to buck their ideas up. Some technical fixes are needed, but that's not the only place where they look to be lagging. Selling adult service is a very specific sort of marketing, but how many prospective SL customers even hear of Zindra?

(At the moment, the number of sex-starved n00bs is tolerable, but the questions they ask are so incredibly basic.) 

Lydia Craig wrote:

The restart went smoothly, it did not seal the massive memory leak that is debilitating all viewers, including V 3, indeed V3 seems the worst hit by this thing which is not a reflection so much of a defect in the viewer but a massively overloaded database that is not sending out responses properly and causing massive procedural loops to build up in memory cache and eventually lead to inevitable crashes.  The more immediate issue though is that this update seems to once again have broken the inventory database and loading inventory is now taking hours to accomplish as commands time out and the loading process freezes.  This was not a serious problem for a couple of weeks but is back now worse than ever and along with that huge memory leak which you can see literally growing as you watch has rendered sl almost unplayable.  Here is hoping that eventually LL makes fixing the database a major priority and does not clutter it further with more burdensome operations such as web profiles and desinger names or more mesh.   All of these potentiall can be very nice but not at the expense of the basic integrity of performance and play.  Hopefully, someone will be listening, and if not welcome to the next wild and crazy misadventure which we will likely see rolled out next week on the RC channels in all its glory.

This is a forum for Seond Life Server. You can see it in the title for the forum: "Seond Life Server". Issues that the viewer has with memory bloating will not be resolved with a server restart. That's not how it works. In this forum I communicate server changes and discuss issues found in the RC channels. If you would like to discuss viewer related bugs please use the appropriate forum.

If you are seeing inventory issues it is not tied to the RC's. I don't know of any new code recently that would modify inventory server behaviour.

__Oskar

These 

MB Robonaught wrote:

Hi

Is there more info on the Threaded Region Crossing Stage 1 Project? Things like what was stage 1 supposed to accomplish along with the overall project goals would aide me in supplying usable feedback

thanks

These are minutes of a meeting where the changes were discussed. It's pretty technical but it describes some of what they're trying to do.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Beta_Server_Office_Hours/Minutes/2011-11-17

Hi, thanks for the link I was looking for more in depth information. The reason I ask is if it was to fix avatar crossings it works great but if it included vehicles it's an epic fail at least between the two connected magnum sims we have here. Trying to cross in a car results in going off world for a few seconds before rubber banding back to where you started leaving your camera askew

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4445 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.