How to stop being a cloud

Phil Deakins

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4464 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

In over 5 years, I've never had this problem before, but yesterday I remained a cloud and today I'm still a cloud. How can I get out of it?

I've tried different viewers, logging into different sims, rebaking, Test Male and Test Female (no clothing in the folder, apparently), clearing cache, different computers, and even Allow Select Avatar (whatever that is), but nothing I do makes me rez normally and I remain a cloud. I can't do the Appearance trick because it's not an option when the shape etc. hasn't yet downloaded.

Anyone know how to stop being being a cloud? - before I start to rain.

I'd found the fault with Phoenix but I tried LL's V1 and the same fault was there. I tried logging in a couple of different avs and they were fine. So I deleted the phil_deakins folder and logged in again. I was still a cloud but I wore an outfit folder and I'm back to normal now. Before I delted the phil_deakins folder, the system wouldn't let me wear anything except hair, which didn't show anyway. So all is well again.

ETA: I didn't try Replace Outfit (an inv folder option) before i deleted the phil_deakins folder. I might have worked without deleting the phil_deakins folder.

Phil Deakins wrote: I delete the phil_deakins folder:

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Delete everything into: C: \ Users \ (USER NAME) \ ApplData \ Local \ Secondlife and

C: \ Users \ (USER NAME) \ ApplData \ Local \ PhoenixViewer

After, when your inventory is fully loaded - loggin back in a quiet region like Smith or Exeuxoa will help it to be loaded faster - you can try again what you have tried so far, like rebaking textures, avatar test and generally everything is reported here. 

Phil Deakins wrote:

I'd found the fault with Phoenix but I tried LL's V1 and the same fault was there. I tried logging in a couple of different avs and they were fine. So I deleted the phil_deakins folder and logged in again. I was still a cloud but I wore an outfit folder and I'm back to normal now. Before I delted the phil_deakins folder, the system wouldn't let me wear anything except hair, which didn't show anyway. So all is well again.

ETA: I didn't try Replace Outfit (an inv folder option) before i deleted the phil_deakins folder. I might have worked without deleting the phil_deakins folder.

Yeah, the one time I was a cloud for an extended period of time, I changed outfit folders, as in, I replaced everything I was wearing with everything that was in a different outfit folder by choosing replace current outfit .

I'm a little surprised that nobody has suggested the full list of possibilitites here >>> http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/doku.php?id=fs_bake_fail . Start with the simple things at the top of the list ---  yeah, it looks like you have already tried some of them --- and work down until you find what works for you today.

You may find that the bake fail problem comes back repeatedly, even after you fix it with one of the suggestions on that wiki page. If so, you have a chronically weak Internet connection. There are many steps to take for repairing it. Perhaps the simplest ones -- ones that work best for most people -- are: (1) Don't Use WIRELESS. Wireless connections are inherently less stable than direct cable connections and are more vulnerable to interference. Then, (2) Reboot your router. Unplug it from the power for a few minutes to let it clear its RAM. The plug it back in and let it get a fresh hold on an IP address.

Mark Mildor wrote:

Finally,

In SL menue latest  go to Develop=>Avatar =>Characeter test=>Male/Femal test......You are done....that way you detach all on your avatar and will appear as default avatar...this solves the could problem.

Enjoy SL!

Mark Mildor

Not exactly. In the first post, I said that I'd tried that, but it doesn't work when your shape, etc. hasn't yet downloaded, which is what the cloud is.

Rolig Loon wrote:

I'm a little surprised that nobody has suggested the full list of possibilitites here >>>
 . Start with the simple things at the top of the list ---  yeah, it looks like you have already tried some of them --- and work down until you find what works for you today.

You may find that the bake fail problem comes back repeatedly, even after you fix it with one of the suggestions on that wiki page. If so, you have a chronically weak Internet connection. There are many steps to take for repairing it. Perhaps the simplest ones -- ones that work best for most people -- are: (1) Don't Use WIRELESS. Wireless connections are inherently less stable than direct cable connections and are more vulnerable to interference. Then, (2) Reboot your router. Unplug it from the power for a few minutes to let it clear its RAM. The plug it back in and let it get a fresh hold on an IP address.

I think we didn't suggest that because he said he had already solved his problem.

• 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4464 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.