What is this?

Phil Deakins

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4488 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've read about it somewhere but I can't remember where and I can't remember the details, so...

I've just had several messages (bottom right corner) in SL like this:-

<Name> (<name>) is now known as <Name>

I just got another one as I was typing this.

Why am I getting those messages? I don't recognise the name at all. (there's another one). I checked who's following me and found one person - not the same person but I removed it anyway. There is nobody in my friends list with a name that's remotely similar, and I'm not following anyone at all. So what's it all about. (and there's another one)

I noticed that a few days ago too but forgot about it.  Do you know how it works exactly?  Is it just automatically on for everyone in that region who changes his or her display name?   Does it only show when you change your profile while you're inworld or does it also show when you first login after changing your profile on the web? 

it's a sim message that pops up when someone changes their display name but you don't have to be in the same sim as the person residing on a corner plot i've had display name change notifications from people on bordering sims i can only think everyone in a certain range gets it even if not on the same sim

Claireschen Hesten wrote:

it's a sim message that pops up when someone changes their display name but you don't have to be in the same sim as the person residing on a corner plot i've had display name change notifications from people on bordering sims i can only think everyone in a certain range gets it even if not on the same sim

This!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4488 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.