Where would you consider the easiest place to learn to begin simple building?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4581 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm really into architectural building as something I would like to do, may bmall houses or something to begin with.  Perhaps also I would like gown designing.  I need some really easy simply steps to learn about the various prisms and how to begin to build with them.

Or, someone who would be willing to help me learn the first few steps in  doing so.

Thank you.,

I like the Happy Hippo builders group. You can do a Search in world for them & join the group for free. They have many classes from Begining to Advanced levels, with a schedule of classes published on their website. They also have some begining building Tutorials to do on your own time. The best beginning class they offer, imo, is the one that teaches the Edit Menu tabs, one tab each class, because this gives even the least experienced newbie a good foundation for building & editing stuff in SL.

Builders  Brewery is another good building group, but I haven't taken classes with them myself.

Builders Brewery has an excellent raft of teachers. They cover basic building and texturing, to sculpting and mesh. Sculpt Studio and Blender are both taught. If you join their group, you'll be sent a weekly class schedule.

Also, visit  the Ivory tower of Prims, which has brilliant tutorials on everything to do with prim use and manipulation. Take what you learn there to a friendly sandbox and play play play :)

If you do not have the time to take a class, can't find one that is convenient, learn better at your own pace, or want to reinforce what your taught in classes,  the Ivory Tower Library of Primatives on Natoma is also an excellent place to learn how to use the basic tools and what it is possible to do with them. (You can find it in search) 

This is a self paced tutor that is divided into 'lessons'.  For each lesson there is a display illustrating the lesson or an auto demo and you receive an excellent notecard for reference during the lesson and in the future.  You can go and take all the lessons at once or take one or more as you have the time. Some people prefer to take a lesson or group of lessons, then go to the sandbox and practice what they learned before returning for the next lesson or lessons.  You can also repeat them as many times as you wish anytime.

I learned basic building there as well as many of the professional and hobby builders that have been builders in SL a long time.   When I came to SL there were no classes or many people around that I could find to teach me.  By using the Ivory Tower and sandboxes for practice, I learned on my own. 

I have taught many many people to build myself and I send them there first to learn the basics.  I then work with them on more advanced techniques and "tricks of the trade". 

In fact...let me do this...... A List with Linkies...

College of Scripting, Music, and Science, Horsa

The Particle Laboratory, Teal 

Ivory Tower Library of Primitives, Natoma

Texture Tutorial, Livingtree

Builders Brewery (Main), Builders Brewery

There used to be the design Center, in idea City, but I think it's now poofed, sadly. It gave good advice on texturing, and had lovely free samples of shadowing and lighting textures.

I've seen a lot of valuable tips and answers in here, did you follow any of them? Did you allready take any basic building classes? From there it's just using your imagination, try, practice and develop yourself, with help from builders groups. Just starting to build in a sandbox will often attract people that can help and give tips as well.

If you google around a bit, you'll find simple things to build. Don't expect to be able to produce something wonderfull to start with, it's a very steep learning curve to get there!

MariahWhispers wrote:

All of this is very impressive and overwhelming.  Is there anyone who helps new people understand it and maybe help them to buildsomething simple.  I am very confused rigiht now and I am usually a fast learner.

Caledon Oxbridge, New Citizens Inc., and Builders Brewery all give classes on basic building.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4581 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.