Firestorm Version 3 - Horrible lag!

KeliahAngelis

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4497 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I experience horrible lag on my Firestorm. Performance is very jerky and not smooth at all. 

I have an AMD Sapphire 6850 HD graphics card - brand new - so it is not my graphics card. 

I am not on a laggy sim. My home sim is lag free. When I log into other viewers, things are just fine. 

I have cleared caches, done deletes and reinstalls..

I don't know what else to do.

Double check the advanced options and make sure that:

Shadows is "none"
"Full resolution textures" is off
Antialiasing is set to 0 or 2

This should give an indication if it`s some settings killing the fps
Also what can create issues, create a new cache directory for firestorm or empty the old cache manually so it`s completly empty 

Yeah try some other viewers too.

Until Firestorm catches up with FUI, they're on the 2.x code which is slower. The 3.2+ code is fast (as long as not using Beta).

I get 20-38 fps in V3.2, sometimes spiking to 50. I'll get 4-5fps in the same locations in Beta.

Screenshot of 37.4 fps while inside a mesh build:

https://my.secondlife.com/pussycat.catnap/snapshots/4efbdff09756d35dd9000001

Once Firestorm catches up to FUI, it'll probably be getting similar good results.

Correct me if I am wrong but clearing the cache would only help if you have corruption problems. Otherwise it will temporarily kill your performance as it has to download your inventory and all the things around you.

I agree with the previous comment, once FIrestorm catches up to the new code it's performance with get better.

In my case I have to turn off shadows, reduce the lights quality, and check off antialiasing. My performance then goes up quite a bit.

Kwakkelde Kwak wrote:

My experience is that turning off AA slows down my rendering. The top setting screws up my resolution (is that 16x?) all figures in between give good results. I have an older machine, XP, AMD3800+ and 9600GT.

That frankly -also- makes sense.

If Anti-aliasing is not buggy for you, then turning it -off- will slow you down if you have a modern graphics card. Modern cards assume it is there, and get confused when given nothing to a bunch of hardware sitting there waiting for something to be handed over.

On the other hand, if your card is one of the ones hit by the anti-aliasing bug, then the bug will cause -worser issues- than the problems of turning off anti-aliasing...

Ie: It makes sense that for some people turning it on speeds them up, and for others turning it off speeds them up. Once the bug is fixed (and it may be in V3.2, not sure, if it was fixed, it might still not be fixed in the version Firestorm forked from), most of us will be better off turning it on. Pretty much anyone with a graphics card, and even most integrated video cards...

The Firestorm people are working very hard from what I gathered listening to their podcast - but all TPV makers got handed a curveball when V3's FUI came out. It was worked on in secret. While many TPVs could just jump over to it and add in their code, Firestorm's changes most dealt with UI changes - the same area that FUI replaces... so they've got a harder task catching up there.

Once they do, you Firestorm / Phoenix fans will likely be absolutely stunned with the amazing performance boost you'll see. V3.2, and viewers based on it, are uncannly better than the ones before. Given how skilled the Firestorm folks are in UI customization, you're all likely in for a treat at some point when they get their minds wrapped around FUI.

FUI has nothing to do with the overall performance of the viewer, it just changes the UI into something more flexible. The released version of Firestorm 3.2.2 already contained most of the "Shining" fixes that LL dropped into their latest viewer and target all sorts of performance issues in general - including all new issues they create.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4497 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.