Oh, okay. Do that then...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4567 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

think thats bad? somoa now wants to MOVE the date line so that their trading comes into line with australias and new zealands trading days as they are always a day behind. some tourist operators are worried it will affect the "last spot to see the setting sun"......to move the date line will put the entire world out, why cant they just change their OWN trading days, open sundays-friday.............and just how exactly would any changes to an invisible line change the fact that the "x" on somoa would stopp being the last place on eartht o see the setting sun....its not as if they are changing the rotation of the earth.....somoa should just change themselves. remember this.............god help me, to change the thing i can, to accept the things i can't and the wisdom to KNOW THE DIFFERENCE.

Every time governments try to improve on something they just screw it up worse.    I'll stick with the Gregorian calendar thanks.   It's not that hard to remember that leap year is every 4 years and 30 days has September... etc.    Besides I have a day-date watch so no problem.

And if your believe the whole Maya Calendar dealie, after next year none of it will matter anyway.

western samoa wanting to change their day to same as australia / new zealand, bc one the main reasons is that more western samoans living and working in au/nz than live at home in the islands

is quite hard for them ppl to go back and forward and synch their work time off. like is problem to go a wedding or christening on sunday in samoa when is monday where they work. so ppl have to take extra days off work to do that. western samoa quite dependent on the money earned by their ppl in au/nz. western samoa, like most other pacific peoples, quite a family-oriented society. so when have to go then have to go

is problem to change tho bc western  samoa share same day as american samoa. that on same day as usa. not sure that american samoa be happy to change for much the same reason. if put line down the middle then will make other problems for them on the islands. bc most families on both sides of border. maybe they will work out, not sure how tho  

edit: should say manu samoa and not western samoa bc is independent nation now. used to be a part the british empire. when britain abandon the empire then it become a nz territory and now independent. american samoa still a usa territory i think

wiked Anton wrote:

think thats bad? somoa now wants to MOVE the date line so that their trading comes into line with australias and new zealands trading days as they are always a day behind. some tourist operators are worried it will affect the "last spot to see the setting sun"......to move the date line will put the entire world out, why cant they just change their OWN trading days, open sundays-friday.............and just how exactly would any changes to an invisible line change the fact that the "x" on somoa would stopp being the last place on eartht o see the setting sun....its not as if they are changing the rotation of the earth.....somoa should just change themselves. remember this.............god help me, to change the thing i can, to accept the things i can't and the wisdom to KNOW THE DIFFERENCE.

"Changing themselves" is exactly what they're DOING. There is no legal definition of the date line and it wanders back and forth across the central Pacific. Samoa's changing what side of the date line they're on won't affect anyone else. Remember this - it's always good to do a little research before you offer an opinion about a subject you aren't very familiar with.

Or you could say the whole 'international date line' is a political invention anyway, otherwise it'd be a straight line down, for instance, the 180-degree longitude.  Of course, whether the 'prime meridian' should be the current 0-degree longitude is also a political question, and one that is more broken than obeyed.

Why, for instance, is Madrid time GMT+1 (ie; 1pm when it's 12noon in London) when Spain is 99% West of that line?  Just because they didn't want to be 'behind' Paris - a city approximately 6-degrees to the East (which is REALLY about half an hour ahead).  Of course the French couldn't possibly use GMT, even though their capital is REALLY less than 2.5 degrees (10 minutes) ahead - they had to be a whole hour.  Some of that makes some sort of sense though - at least most of France is East of the prime meridian.

'Rounding' timezones to the nearest hour or so seems pragmatic though.  Imagine what a pain it would be to have to reset your watch every 100 miles East or West you went.  In practice I suppose the only time it affects most of us is when we fly a long distance or, most tellingly, use long-distance communications (like this).

It's because of the internet, et al, that I have so much trouble with 'Summer Time'/'Daylight Saving Time' or whatever it's called where you live.  I am annoyed to have to reset all my watches, clocks, videos, TVs, microwaves, computers, etc. twice a year.  For some companies and industries there are always problems with things getting out of sync when the clocks go forward, or back.  Then it's even worse when you're talking to someone in another time-jurisdiction which also changes the 'official' time but not on the same day as yours.  Most of us get this twice a year when SL time (USA PST) changes.  At least the whole of the USA changes in-step but our own governments dictate different dates for most of the rest of us *sigh*.  So there are now SEVERAL times a year I have to change different clocks for different countries in different REAL timezones.

Timezones are solar so they should be really simple.  It is noon, 12pm or 1200hrs when the sun is at its highest point for the day.  Now (governments) pick a timzone every 15-degrees of longitude or so, find out when it's noon there and then stick to the same damn time!  *arrggghh*

If you want to move the school-run, rush hour or civil-servant core-working hours then change the times you open your schools, offices and institutions.  Don't keep changing the clock!

[Just for fun; in the UK 'they' are considering double-Summer time.  Unfortunately this doesn't mean that it'll rain any less or be any warmer.  Instead it means that the UK, which is mostly West (behind) GMT will proclaim itself to be as far East as Poland and will use GMT+1 for half the year.  In Summer we'll go all the way to Cairo for a holiday, using GMT+2 - and we won't even send you a postcard of the pyramids.  What sort of astronomical sense does that make?  Only the government could say changing its office-hours would cause 'too much confusion' compared to that]

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4567 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.