Using mouse to move?

Myth Valeska

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4485 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Wasn't sure where to put this question and it might be a dumb one, but is there a way on SL to use your mouse to move like I can in World of Warcraft? Specifically moving forward by holding both the right and left buttons down together on my mouse and being able to click on the screen and change my character view (without having to click on the movement controls). Thanks for any info!

You have a great question and I will tell you how I move about inworld.

I never use the movement control window, so that is one less menu that takes up screen space.

I use my arrow keys, or the wasd keys, to move my avatar around. One feature that I love is mouse steering. With mouse steering, you left click your avatar and hold. Now, if you move your mouse around, your avatar will change its viewing direction. Pressing forward on the arrow, or w, will cause your avatar to move in the direction it is facing. In this way, you can simply move your avatar around by holding down the forward arrow button and moving your avatar to go in the direction you want it to.

So, left click hold on back of avatar, walk forward with up arrow or w.

Note, in your preferences, you will have to disable single click on land moves to clicked point (Me > Preferences > Move and View) for mouse steering to work.

Ah Charlotte thank you! That does help! I love the controls in WoW because I have a track ball mouse and I can push both click buttons down to move and change directions on the fly with the track ball, but I guess as I don't usually need to run to escape or whatever in SL, that it's not that important :matte-motes-wink:

Someday maybe somebody will give us the ability to move normally in SL, the same way you can in any other 3D world. :D

They tried in viewer-3 by addind a click-to-move option, but it turned off the ability to select your avatar... o.O and it didn't let you steer while moving... o.O

We should pitch in and buy some of the devs a subscription to WoW, Guild Wars, Everquest, or just about -anything- for a month or two so they can see how virtual worlds do it... :D

• 1 month later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4485 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.