ground sits: how can my av sit on non LL ground?

Mallory Cerise

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4518 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

my old AO from Vista had two options: "ground sits" and "sit down". both dropped me to the floor, no matter whether it was LL ground or not. I've switched to a custom AO from Oracul and i'd love to have that ability again. if anyone knows how to override this inability to sit on non-LL ground, please be very specific about what i should do. again, i have a custom AO, so it's editable.

many thanks.

A curious thing just happened. I stood on a couch and instead of right clicking couch and choosing sit, or left clicking couch to use its sit animations, I did as I described, I right clicked myself and chose sit down. My avatar seemed to disappear within the couch. My name tag could still be seen, but not me. I cammed into the couch, and I still wasn't there, it was as if I had become one with the couch. Choosing stand caused my avatar to reappear, standing on the couch. Weird.

Mallory Cerise wrote:

i'm on Phoenix Viewer. it's just what i was told by techie old-timers (about LL ground and non-LL ground). they said there are overriders.

That explains it. Phoenix is a version 1 viewer. Missing a lot of standard features of Second Life. While they did just add mesh viewing to it, the dev team for it is trying to get people over to Firestorm.

Mallory Cerise wrote:

i'm on Phoenix Viewer. it's just what i was told by techie old-timers (about LL ground and non-LL ground). they said there are overriders.

Oh ok, That's why I wondered if it was even an option for you. If your old ao had that feature, I'm sure someone can tell you how to configure your new one to do the same.

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

I'm sure someone can tell you how to configure your new one to do the same.

Take all of your new animations ans stuff them inside a -COPY- of your old AO. Edit whatever notecard your old AO has to load the new animations instead of the old ones.

...and enjoy.

Do this with a copy, so you have the luxary of making a few mistakes. :)

You will probably have to rez the AO on the ground to do this. So do it on your land or a friend's land where you can build in peace. Some AOs will be very tiny when rezzed, so open the edit panel (control-3 or command-3) -BEFORE- you rez it so that it's selected the moment you rez it and you don't have to find it... :)

Editing my AO was the very first thing I ever learned to edit in SL, and I destroyed a few copies of it somehow along the way. Now, I know I could probably just reset the script or something... but back then I remember panicking until I realized I could go get another copy of it (it was a freebie). Since that time, to save myself headaches, I always edit copies and not originals.

(My original AO also was about 0.01m big when I rezzed it... so the first attempt, I actually lost it as I didn't yet know how to zoom around effectively.)

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

I'm sure someone can tell you how to configure your new one to do the same.

Take all of your new animations ans stuff them inside a -COPY- of your old AO. Edit whatever notecard your old AO has to load the new animations instead of the old ones.

I like this part. Now, some questions. How many stands can I have on my AO? Is it a set number? My current notecard has 5, could I have seven if I wanted to? Or only 5? 

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

How many stands can I have on my AO? Is it a set number? My current notecard has 5, could I have seven if I wanted to? Or only 5? 

Keep stuffing em in there until you get an error and it fails to work. Then rez a new copy, and stuff one less animation into that one. :D

- its all based on memory available for the script... I destroyed a few dozen copies of my current AO experimenting around with how much I could stuff into it. I've actually been using the same AO since 2009 though, but just changing out animations.

At one point I tried to combine the entire list of a freebie 30+ animation AO with my more expensive 'Life is Meow' AO - I don't know the exact limit, but I know how to blow past it. :)

Its going to vary with every AO though, so I can't really give you an exact answer - which is why you want to work with copies.

Life is Meow, the AO I use, is actually a freebie ZHAO II, loaded with priced animations. Most of the AOs in SL are copies of the free ZHAO II AO, loaded up with animations and maybe in a different prim so the seller could give it a custom look.

- However if you want an AO with a ground sit, that's not in the ZHAO II base, or at least not the one my AO uses.

(If you inworld search for ZHAO, you get somebody's clothing store, so look for ZHAO II or Ziggy Puff)

- OH, that link I just posted there, right to the right of that ZHAO, is an advanced free ZHAO-II MB2, that has all the buttons you see in most more complex AOs.

"Keep stuffing em in there until you get an error and it fails to work. Then rez a new copy, and stuff one less animation into that one."

Lol!

Thanks for your explanation! I have always wanted to customize my AO but for whatever reason never gotten around to it. Your words are actually a big help, so again, thanks!

Your new AO is oracle, yes? From what I can tell, it has ground sit abilities. Depending on what version you have, you should see a sit and also a Sit G. If there is a little box next to Sit G, the box needs to be green instead of gray. Clicking a gray box should turn it green and then you should be able to sit on the ground. 

What you mention about Linden land I haven't heard of, but it may refer to the option of trying to right click on something and choosing sit.

So, try activating your Sit G the right clicking on yourself and choosing sit down.

If it still is not working, since you mention it is a custom ao, the AO may not contain a ground sit animation, although I think the default one would work anyway. Let us know!

I just looked up the Phoenix in the Wiki and it says it has available ground sit anywhere

I copy and pasted a chunk for those who don't wish to click link

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Third_Party_Viewer_Directory/Phoenix

Description

The Phoenix Viewer has a very large list of features, and a large dedicated support team ready and waiting to help our users with any problems they have.

Below is a list of some of our features.

• Display Name Support
  • V2 Multi-Attachment system
  • V2 Inventory Links
  • Shared Parcel and altitude based WindLight Settings.
    • Full sim range (detects over 1M in the air)
    • Shows name, age, payment info, current activity.
    • Land and estate commands for ejecting/banning multiple avatars at once
    • Buttons to open profile, IM, teleport to or track selected avatars
    • Ability to chat radar info (keys) to boost lsl radars
    • Ability to display chat notifications for entering sim, exiting sim, entering chat range, exiting chat range, entering draw distance and exiting draw distance respectively.
  • RLV API Implementation (off by default)
  • Different login page
  • Ability to open and display the owner and location of objects that IM you
  • Teleport to positions by double clicking
  • Option to disable progress screens (teleport, login, and logout respectively)
  • Clothing layer protection (prevents sending of individual clothing textures to other clients, ensuring they can't copy the clothing)
  • Customizable IM auto-response system, including giving inventory in the response
  • Fly can be set to always enabled, even with Admin menu closed
  • Can turn your avatar 'visually phantom'
  • Allows ground sit anywhere

Ok, from the Phoenix Wiki:

ENABLE CTRL-ALT-S TO GROUND SIT ANYWHERE: This forces your avatar into a ground sit regardless of where your avatar is.

That should be found under Preferences > Pheonix > Misc. Tab

http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/doku.php?id=phoenix_preferences_tab&s[]=ground&s[]=sit

Hope this helps!

And finally, Phoenix has a built in AO that is customizable and a brief instructional page on how to do so

http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/doku.php?id=animation_overrider&s[]=ground&s[]=sit

If none of that helps, Phoenix is popular for having a very dedicated and helpful support group. I am sorry I could not be of more help :(

http://www.phoenixviewer.com/support.php

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4518 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.