Libraries in SL?

Usive

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4537 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Are there any large libraries in SL? Is there even a large number of available books in SL? Where would I find books (to keep preferably)?

Would it even be possible to LEND a book? Or would  a library in SL have to be more like a bookstore to earn income?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

All good points Honored.... I asked because I made a way for people to read books without taking them, or taking all of said places prims... But not sure if I want to craft it towards a library, or a book store.... The whole idea will be to encourage more writing in SL, and hopefully help develope the culture.

4 answers to this question

Thats a tricky question.

First problem I can see is object permissions. In SL as you are probably aware, we have mod/copy/transfer permissions which limit the way we exchange goods, Like it or not they are the rules.

So you wouldn't be able to "lend" a book like an RL library, without it costing some amount of money. To set up a library would cost money in SL and by extension that would mean anyone setting up a library would need to recoup thier costs.

Intellibook does sell a type of book in SL, however you create the books content. Mostly these are used for creating catalogues and magazines. If you want to read a book (eg Alice in Wonderland) it would be easier to go lend it from an RL library as you wont need to worry about copyright infringement.

Traditionally there has never been a good way to display variable text on SL objects.  That meant each page of a book had to be uploaded as at texture (or part of a texture).  Displaying the book then meant switching textures as the avatar clicked page-forward/back.  That in turn meant giving away the 'book' object and texture-changing script.  The actually page-texture files were kept on a central server, however, so the 'book' was useless outside of whatever licencing constraints were involved - so you could 'lend' a book for a couple of weeks if you wanted.  Having a single central server also made it easier to update books when, as mentioned, they were used for catalogues etc.

With media on a prim there have been two developments to this: i) displaying off-world "book" web pages directly, ii) using an in-world HTTP server to deliver the text directly.  Both of these methods allow easier editing and avoid the upload-cost involved with textures,

There are many libraries in SL, of varying sizes and types.  Some are extensions of RL libraries.  Others are purely in SL.  One of the oldest and perhaps the largest is the Community Virtual Library (CVL), centered on the  Info Island sim.  CVL is a registered non-profit that represents a large number of public and academic libraries in RL and maintains its own selection of in-world collections and services.  Among those are collections and themed services in genealogy, science fiction, children's literature, mysteries, religion, role play, women's studies, and scripting for example.  Our reference area provides resource links and resources for addressing in-world and RL research questions, and is staffed by RL librarians for at least 25 hours a week.  We also offer reading and discussion groups and a regular schedule of other events and exhibits, as well as an art gallery that represents some of the best SL artists.

We offer books in a variety of fomats.  Many are fascimile editions, textured to fit on your SL bookshelf and scripted to provide a link to an online text (Gutenberg, for example).  Others are audio books, again on-line editions, for which we provide a dedicated HUD reader.  We also provide a dedicated HUD reader for accessing daily newpapers in 12 major world languages.  Any of those books are distributed free.  We also have ThinC books (physical, paged editions) that are meant to be viewed in the libraries.  Other libraries in SL sell copies of their books in this format. 

CVL and most of the other libraries in SL are not here to make money.  We are supported by own own members, by parcel rental fees to RL partner libraries, and by donations.  Most academic libraries are part of the larger in-world presence of their RL universities. 

To find where other libraries are in SL, open Search and type in "Library", or visit the CVL reference area and check the Directory of SL Libraries, which lists all the libraries that are accessible to the general public (that is, not on closed sims).

Hello Usive,

I'm only commenting on part of what you asked here. As for SL Libraries, there are several, but not sure the type you mean.

In theory...you could "LEND" a book, if it was full Perms or Permissions, or at least allow it to be copied and Transferred.

I'm not sure what you mean by "books to keep"....if you mean a physical book here in SL....there are a couple of different makers selling Books on the Marketplace....one is Intellibook (something like that) and I forget the name of the other at the moment. You might want to have a look at them, I have. I also have "made" my own book and intend to make it available in the MarketPlace eventually, (mine is best, hehehe).

There are differences in books though. Intellibook works off of a "texture changer script" from what I saw, and I don't use this method, I apply the textures to individual pages. There are advantages and disadvantages to each method. The biggest difference is that technically a texture changer is using a single prim and changing the texture repeatedly as you "turn the page"....the problem is you have to wait each time for the image to "rez"...which to me is very annoying and distracting.....but...it has the advantage of using unlimited pages on a single prim. This is oversimplifying a bit, but is basically what takes place. The method I chose uses actual pages, so one page is one prim. The advantage of this is that you don't have to wait for each image to load....when the book rezzes..all the images are visible almost immediately and stay that way. Each page turns, like a normal book, you can add text, photo's, drawings or what have you. The disadvantage is that prims count against your land and if I make the book 50 "prim" pages, which would be 100 pages (front and back of the prim), the 50 prims goes against the land, unless of course the book is "worn" by your avi (which it can be). If the book was "worn" it wouldn't count against the land.

The reason I mention all of this is because we also intend to write stories and make them available in SL and it is something I would also like to see developed in SL. Not trying to advertise here...but to provide you with some background and ideas. I also have a system which a friend developed here in SL which is very interesting. Feel free to contact me "IM me" if you want to know more about these things.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4537 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.