Get texture to SL without L$

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4552 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi i have to upload or get inworld a speifici texture, its like a chess board but intstead black and white squares there are red and white, its for a rear wing of a jet, like the Hydra in Grand Theft Auto San Andreas. Well, the problem, i have to upload it in world bcuz nobody has one inworld, i asked in the group and all that, the problem is that at the momento i have L$0 because i was a year offline and i emptied all before i gone away, now i am back and need that texture but i havent that 10 L Dollars, anybody a suggestion how i can get a texture uploades? is there a script who works with a uploader or a imageshack extension? Regards, Rafa (Kiefer)

Many viewers have the option to upload a texture temporarily, meaning it'll be there whenever you log in and you don't clear your cache.  I think others can see that texture while you are logged in but I'm not 100% sure about that one.  If this doesn't work for you then hit the money trees.

ETA: Phoenix and Firestorm has this option BTW

Knutz Scorpio wrote:

I think others can see that texture while you are logged in but I'm not 100% sure about that one.

I'm pretty sure others can't see your temporary textures (or sculpt maps). As far as I know it's loaded to your local cache so your viewer can find it. It never reaches a Linden server.

Others absolutely CAN see your temp uploads. It uploads to the sim instead of the asset server, so basically to volatile memory instead of the hard drive. You can't sell anything like that, nor would you want to try and make a permanent build using that, but it's great for experimenting.

Haldir Meskin wrote:

Others absolutely CAN see your temp uploads. It uploads to the sim instead of the asset server, so basically to volatile memory instead of the hard drive. You can't sell anything like that, nor would you want to try and make a permanent build using that, but it's great for experimenting.

That seems easily plausible for textures applied to the avatar, since the baked outfit is sent to the sim, by design.  Are you certain it happens with non-avatar textures as well?  It strikes me as a tremendous potential security risk if people can just dump whatever they want into a sim's memory, without having to go through the asset server first.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4552 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.