Where does a resident ask a question

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4559 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

about moderation on the forum?  I write, with humble words, how do I ask a question?  I ask this of the community manager or the moderators, please help me to understand.  I do not want to again be suspended - I would just like to have a question answered.  Until two months ago I could have PM'd Lexie - and she would have responded with an answer, and reasons for her answer.   I respect/ed her for that.  Please, to whom may I write?

If you have a question about a post being removed, a warning you've received, a thread you posted that's been removed, or a question about the Community Guidelines, always feel free to PM us (the mods). That's the most appropriate way to ask us questions, and we're always happy to explain or help you. For a faster answer, it's best to send a message directly to the specific mod who warned you, or who notified you. If you didn't get a notification, then feel free to send a message to all of the mods with your question.

Hope this helps!

Huskance wrote:

Please explain why it has been so hard to be in SL lately

Hi Huskance, and welcome to the forum.  Please hang in there with Genn as you probably frightened her to near death with your question.  I will try to answer.

There is no simple reason.  There are many reasons why it is hard; have you recently been spurned by a significant other that you paid 25L to partner and they left you after one week; is it the lag; is it the Linden exchange rate; the vampires maybe?  Tell this forum more and I guarantee you a response.

Welcome to Second Life Forums, Huskance.  Please take a look around at the Second Life Answers (click the "Answers" tab at the top of this page), and you might find your answer.

Are you finding you are crashing more? Do your teleports fail?

Is your graphics driver up to date?

Have you cleared your cache recently?

Are you on a wired or wireless connection?

/me waves at Storm - I nearly dropped off my chair when I saw you got a message from Genn on a forum thread!

@ Genn, I always feel you have a wicked grin on your face as you moderate these forums. "my pretty" (emoticon of winkey smiley face with devils horns inserted here)

Thank you for replying here, Genn.  You suggest that we send a PM to 'all of the mods'.  I am not sure who they all are.

I am aware of you, Joanne, Mike, Kate (?), and is there another guy?

How cool would it be if you all introduced yourselves through a brief posts here?  I think very cool.

Venus Petrov wrote:

Thank you for replying here, Genn.  You suggest that we send a PM to 'all of the mods'.  I am not sure who they all are.

How cool would it be if you all introduced yourselves through a brief posts here?  I think very cool.

Venus, you are my dearest friend, but do no misunderstand my intention.  Easy killer, Genn is not the enemy.  

Storm Clarence wrote:

Venus Petrov wrote:

Venus, you are my dearest friend, but do no misunderstand my intention.  Easy killer, Genn is not the enemy.  

Genn's advice on who to ask questions about moderation is like Obama's advice on who to vote for.

I want to know who is in charge of the moderation team, so unanswered questions and apparently inappropriate behaviour, or inappropriate inaction on behalf of the moderators might be formally escalated. Otherwise there is always the possibility that the moderators are acting as loose cannons, unsupervised and working to a different set of Guidelines from those that are publicly available - which might seem to have been the case recently, if it were not for the catchall exclusion that "actions taken (or not taken) by Linden Lab and our moderators are at our sole discretion, and we may act without warning or explanation."

For example, there is a lengthy  and longstanding thread in General Discussions that relates to the organisation, administration and promotion of a forthcoming event that should be removed to the appropriate Event subforum, but despite several requests, it remains in its inappropriate location. This has distasteful similarities to the moderation team's unwillingness to move to the Events section what was self-titled an "Event", regarding Vampires.

If LL is embarrassed and unwilling for the general unregistered public to be able to see that they occasionally get things extremely wrong, then perhaps a "private" subforum should be established that is only accessible to registered members of SL where LL's erratic behaviour and contra-Guidelines actions can be identifed and constructively discussed. Maybe a Linden might shed their cloak of anonymity and turn up to give such forum discussions some transparency, if not credibility.

Rudi

RudolphUkka wrote:

I want to know who is in charge of the moderation team, so unanswered questions and apparently inappropriate behaviour, or inappropriate inaction on behalf of the moderators might be formally escalated. Otherwise there is always the possibility that the moderators are acting as loose cannons, unsupervised and working to a different set of Guidelines from those that are publicly available - which might seem to have been the case recently, if it were not for the catchall exclusion that
"actions taken (or not taken) by Linden Lab and our moderators are at our sole discretion, and we may act without warning or explanation."

This, this, this... a thousand times this. The moderators are human, I would have to suppose, and, therefore, prone to make mistakes and misjudgements from time to time. There needs to be some way to hold them accountable for their actions.

...Dres

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

This, this, this... a thousand times this. The moderators are human, I would have to suppose, and, therefore, prone to make mistakes and misjudgements from time to time.
There needs to be some way to hold them accountable for their actions.

This is backwards as the mods are saying the resident posters are held accountable.  I agree, but there needs to be some way to 'review' their actions - the accountability is still 'ours.'  A community manager that understands; a CM who participates in the forum and in the CTUG meetings is what is needed.  "We" are not the enemy either.  

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4559 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.