Posting pictures to your "feed" and maturity ratings

Innula Zenovka

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4559 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

We can now post pictures direct from SL to our profile feeds on my.secondlife.com, if we're so minded and if we're using the latest beta viewer (?) or Marine's latest RLV.

What's the rules on maturity ratings and this, I wonder?   I know profiles are supposed to be G rated (and, in consequence, I've never really understood why some have M or A on them) but does this apply to feeds?  

For example,  in the immortal guidance we receive about Maturity Ratings, "General regions are areas where you should feel free to say and do things that you would be comfortable saying and doing in front of your grandmother or a grade school class," so does this mean I shouldn't post a picture of my friend getting acquainted with a tentacle monster, or that it's ok if her clothes have not yet become seriously disarranged in the struggle (we can tell any grade schooler who happens to see the picture that she's fighting with an evil space octopus and good will inevitably prevail, like in the cartoons, though I'm not sure that would have washed with my late grandmother), or what?   And do the privacy settings I've chosen make any difference?

I try to stick within the rules, silly though I often think they are, but I really don't know what they are in this case.

Void Singer wrote:

My impression, the "G" still applies...

as to why there are ratings on profiles... there was plenty of speculation, but it appears to be just a side effect of automated ratings or all search results.

How could profiles have G ratings with Picks? Many Picks are not in G areas and have explicit keywords and photos. 

What is the feed for anyway? It seems stupid to me, especially as the default item that comes up when viewing someone's profile. The default should be "About", not their feed. The feed just seems like something LL copied from Facebook.

Yeah, I've already nicknamed the feed "SLacebook". xD

As for content, your feed is part of your profile.  So, all the guidelines that apply to your profile apply to your feed.  If you see someone breaking those guidelines and "getting away with it", it's simply because they haven't been reported.  So, combine a careful balance of semi-modesty with well thought out filtering and you should have no problem posting anything you like. (^_^)y

... Unless... You like THAT... Bloody deviant! (>.>)

=^-^=

Innula Zenovka wrote:

"General regions are areas where you should feel free to say and do things that you would be comfortable saying and doing in front of your grandmother or a grade school class,"

Neither of my grandmothers would care in the slightest what I did in front of them, as they've both been dead for over 30 years - and what, exactly, is a "grade school" ? it may be meaningful to someone from the USA, but is completely outside the cultural milieu of the rest of us...

Putting the the right terms into your interests section will trigger moving you out of G and into M or A. I've not found how to get myself to A, but I've managed to get an alt to M. Then again I just didn't try certain obvious words. ;)

Quite a few feeds and profile pics now feature M and A content in them again, like the good old days. Not sure if these people are in clear waters for that or not.

Putting ratings on profiles to me seems like a clear indication that there is an intent to shift things back to the older ways.

Randall Ahren wrote:

How could profiles have G ratings with Picks?
Many Picks are not in G areas and have explicit keywords and photos. 

True.  Even a notorious former poster has a non-PG photo in her picks (however that never kept her from criticising and reporting posts here for a bit of nudity).

LL does not have the time or resource to police profile content.  Given that residents can select to 'hide' picks from all but friends on  the online profiles, those with non-PG content are wise to do so.

ETA:  Corrected last sentence

I understood that you were only citing LL guidelines. My prediction for how LL will handle the Picks dilemma is simply to delete them, which like last names, will be another blow to SL's charm. Doesn't  LL have any vision of their own? Mimicking Facebook makes them look like a bunch of unimaginative copycats. 

@Pussycat, I deleted all interests from my profile. I noted how unattractively interests stood out in profiles in the new viewer and distracted ones eyes from the information that I considered far more important.

I realize, I just thought I'd clue in any readers who didn't know where that was coming from...

sadly I wouldn't be too surprised if you end up being right on that... after all, they already stripped classified (which were half useful in helping tell the legit businesses from the content thieves)

ETA@ Arkady:
think Primary School... ~10-15yo (lower than that is considered "elementry", and beyond is considered "high" until the end of compulsory school)

Randall Ahren wrote:

@Pussycat, I deleted all interests from my profile. I noted how unattractively interests stood out in profiles in the new viewer and distracted ones eyes from the information that I considered far more important.

I regularly search people by clicking the interests and seeing who else pops up.

People without interests... end up not being interesting. ;)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4559 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.