What is this called, help???

kamrynnn

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4587 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

They are called animation overriders, or AO's

They are what makes an avatar walk, stand, and move a certain way.

They can be bought, made or gotten for free.

There are many different types by many different makers.

The best way to start, is if you see someone standing or walking how you like, ask them, I love your AO, where did you get it? 

These are standing animations as opposed to static poses. They are usually loaded into an AO, that is an Animation Overrider. You can find good AO's free in Marketplace, such as the Bright AO by Shan Bright. The best animations are usually not free, although some animation designers, like Sala Snook, offer good free and low cost animations.

This is an unpaid notice, just my personal opinion.

I personally prefer preloaded AO's, but if you go shopping for one, be aware that you don't have to get one preloaded. You can get animations, pick up a free AO HUD (Zhao II is a good one, not hard to find), and stick the animations in there. There are instructions on how to do this, I believe they're included with the HUD. It does take some modding skills to manage, but if you can read directions, you should be okay. I, myself, find it to be too much trouble, and I have some preloaded ones that I LOVE, so I stick with those. Others feel that selecting your own animations and loading them yourself gives you a more "individual," unique look, but I find it too hard to get the transitions between stands to look right.

Keep in mind that some poses are more static than others. Some are very animated. Vista animations has some good AO's that balance both - and more, let you choose between having very animated stands, more quiet and relaxed stands, or a mix of all the different standing animations. Any good animations store, including those that sell AO's, will allow you to try the animations before you buy.

I have never bought a pre-loaded AO, because I have never seen one that didn't include a mess of animations that I don't want and wouldn't care to pay for.  I always buy anims separately and then load them into an AO.  These days, I think the best option is to use a viewer like Firestorm or Phoenix that has a built-in AO.  That way, you don't need to waste space on your screen for an unnecessary HUD, and you end up wearing one less script (which reduces your own lag when you TP).  The Firestorm AO is very easy to use.  Essentially, you just open its control panel and drop your anims in.  You can mess with them to change the order in which they play or how fast they change, but the thing works fine even if you don't do any of that.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4587 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.