An Open letter to Rod Humble (Re: Second Life forums) [cross posted from forum feedback]

Void Singer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4552 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

(with apologies for length, and the fact that I had no one beter to direct this to)

To Mr. Humble, CEO Linden Lab

I'm writing you today, in the hopes of bringing your attention to what I feel is a detriment to the public image of SL and goodwill of it's residents. There is a trend of what appears to be worsening misapplication of guidelines in the official forums culminating with my own recent experience which I will detail shortly. I do wish to note first that I am not contesting the actions taken by LL staff, as I believe that they are only operating under the guidelines given to the best of their understanding and ability, and I hold no malice over it. My only issue is the clarity of the policies involved. Regardless of this, my understanding of the guidelines tells me that my discussion of the following details will very likely result in a ban from the forums. I am willing to accept this, because I believe the issues need to be openly addressed.

Recently a poster upset by recent events posted a suggestion that others who felt similarly about those events, should join them in a sort of "blue flu" protest for a week, by refraining from answering questions. I don't know the details of those events beyond that a person (who is a known agitant) was banned. This is not my issue however. In reply to that I pointed out that historically (within SL) such protests had little effect, and that it would be more effective to direct those questioners to official support channels (original text below). The following day I logged in to find a private message from a moderator informing me that my post was removed for a violation of guidelines, specifically, "Flaming". I also found that the original thread to which I had replied was also removed, although I'm not aware of it's reasoning. Believing this to be a mistake or a simple misunderstanding of my intent, I requested a clarification, which was received the next day as "disruptive with the intent to abuse support" (text below), I can only assume that similar reasoning was applied to the original thread.

I feel that this is both a gross misinterpretation of intent, and misapplication of guidelines that does a disservice to both the original poster, and myself, as well as the community at large. As examples of our depth of commitment and dedication to SL, the original poster is a long time and frequent assistant to those in need of help in SL, and my own efforts go back to 2005, with contributions across a wide array of fora and topics, the wiki, jira, and various inworld groups both official and resident run. These things are not a claim to some special privilege, we have neither expected nor asked for special consideration or recognition of our efforts, nor desire them.

I believe that history speaks to intent though, which has ever been to help others where we can. I do realize my own statement could be misread, however I feel the suggestion to use (and education to find) the many scattered official sources can never be a bad thing... at the very worst it might slow response times, and at it's best it enables users to more easily help themselves. Similarly, residents are not paid workers, and the suggestion to temporarily halt their own voluntary efforts in a show of support is not deserving of punishment. It my firm belief that silencing these statements sends the message that LL considers resident helpers as an unpaid workforce, which are only tolerated so long as they fulfill the express purpose of easing LL's burden of providing support to residents. This is not a message I can support. I am not seeking an apology, or even a reason, but rather a change.

Sincerely,
- Void Singer (the only name anyone would recognize me by here anyway)

References (and the full text of this letter) can be found off site @ http://voidsinger.blogspot.com/ in a attempt to comply as much as possible with posting guidelines.

Hmm, so let me see if I understand.   

Directing Second Life related support questions to SL support.... *can* be considered as "encouraging others to abuse customer support"?     

That is stunning in it's implication.   

I work for a large highly successful computer/tech company...and I can't imagine anyone who generates their paycheck through said company, coming to the conclusion that directing customer's to the company's support channels, is encouraging abuse of those channels.   Did I mention that the company I work for is highly *successful*? 

Hmm, so let me see if I understand.   

Directing Second Life related support questions to SL support.... *can* be considered as "encouraging others to abuse customer support"?     

That is stunning in it's implication.   

I work for a large highly successful computer/tech company...and I can't imagine anyone who generates their paycheck through said company, coming to the conclusion that directing customer's to the company's support channels, is encouraging abuse of those channels.   Did I mention that the company I work for is highly *successful*? 

OMG. I saw that post and thought nothing of it other than "Good idea!" I can't say that I wasn't tempted to follow your advice. Not everyone chose to participate or probably even knew of the "protest" and so I don't believe anybody went lacking for help.

I, too, am stunned by the revelation that telling someone to contact support could somehow be considered "abuse." I don't know what else to say except that if you do move on to greener pastures, as you suggest you may elsewhere, you will be sorely missed.

OMG. I saw that post and thought nothing of it other than "Good idea!" I can't say that I wasn't tempted to follow your advice. Not everyone chose to participate or probably even knew of the "protest" and so I don't believe anybody went lacking for help.

I, too, am stunned by the revelation that telling someone to contact support could somehow be considered "abuse." I don't know what else to say except that if you do move on to greener pastures, as you suggest you may elsewhere, you will be sorely missed.

You might lay some of the blame on me.  A month (maybe less) ago I did something similar and got a "cease and disist" PM from a mod or face some disciplinary actions.  I did not fully agree with the reasoning but I could see the point so I quit, as requested.  I was going to make one more post in the thread I started to say that the "mission was accomplished" and it's time to stop..........the thread was removed before I got to post and I was not stupid enough to start another with that subject.  What I had done was, in effect, was to incite a small text riot...........counter productive to say the least.  I'm sure any further encouragement to flood the moderators with complaints would be met much more serverely than I was.

The forums are going to be moderated as LL sees fit.  We can agree or disagree but we can not force a change by attempting to overload the support portal to prove a point.  Our options are simple and limited.  Let LL do what they are going to do and accept it or leave.  For the time being I'm accepting..........options are open for a change of heart (which is my only "right" for continued participation).

You might lay some of the blame on me.  A month (maybe less) ago I did something similar and got a "cease and disist" PM from a mod or face some disciplinary actions.  I did not fully agree with the reasoning but I could see the point so I quit, as requested.  I was going to make one more post in the thread I started to say that the "mission was accomplished" and it's time to stop..........the thread was removed before I got to post and I was not stupid enough to start another with that subject.  What I had done was, in effect, was to incite a small text riot...........counter productive to say the least.  I'm sure any further encouragement to flood the moderators with complaints would be met much more serverely than I was.

The forums are going to be moderated as LL sees fit.  We can agree or disagree but we can not force a change by attempting to overload the support portal to prove a point.  Our options are simple and limited.  Let LL do what they are going to do and accept it or leave.  For the time being I'm accepting..........options are open for a change of heart (which is my only "right" for continued participation).

Peggy, Void's suggestion was not about forum moderation or contacting forum mods. 

What Void had suggested, was that over in the Answer's and other areas where people post asking for help, that those requesting the help, be redirected to the appropriate SL support channels.   One of the redirects, included informing SL residents requesting help, to contact LL support.

Peggy, Void's suggestion was not about forum moderation or contacting forum mods. 

What Void had suggested, was that over in the Answer's and other areas where people post asking for help, that those requesting the help, be redirected to the appropriate SL support channels.   One of the redirects, included informing SL residents requesting help, to contact LL support.

I've redirected many posters in Answers to support when that redirection is warranted.........some questions can only be answered by LL.  Things like "Why does my sim crash?" or "Why did LL not fix my billing issue?"  If it's some simple question like "Why don't have an 'Advanced Menu' on my menu bar?" that can be answered quickly and accurately redirecting to support is not warranted...........and I suppose can be construed as abuse (though that's a stretch, I agree).

I've never been even warned about anything like that.

I've redirected many posters in Answers to support when that redirection is warranted.........some questions can only be answered by LL.  Things like "Why does my sim crash?" or "Why did LL not fix my billing issue?"  If it's some simple question like "Why don't have an 'Advanced Menu' on my menu bar?" that can be answered quickly and accurately redirecting to support is not warranted...........and I suppose can be construed as abuse (though that's a stretch, I agree).

I've never been even warned about anything like that.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4552 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.