Marketplace Setting Its Own Prices?

Princess Verwood

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4583 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Yet another Marketplace post.... I tend to check regularly my transaction history/things purchased from my MKPL and I just noticed that something that was purchased a few hours ago was purchased for less then the listing price.

For example: Listing price is 110L

Customer paid 99L for it.

I realize that sometimes the pricing screws up when you update or edit an item, or its price....however I have not changed this items price or anything about it in I don't know how long.

I know I am not going crazy because I can click on the item be it through My Store on the marketplace or "View Order Summary" from the item the customer purchased and it still shows it at 110L (correct) listing price.

Why is the Marketplace selling things at it's own price? Anyone else having this issue?

Did you once have it listed for $99? Last time this sort of thing happened to me it was an old entry in someone's cart. For three months or so it was sitting in their cart and finally when they decided to pay for the items in their cart they got it for the price that was advertised when they put it in their cart. Even still I have people purchasing products I unlisted ages ago...just because it's been sitting in their cart.

Peony Sweetwater wrote:

Did you once have it listed for $99? Last time this sort of thing happened to me it was an old entry in someone's cart. For three months or so it was sitting in their cart and finally when they decided to pay for the items in their cart they got it for the price that was advertised when they put it in their cart. Even still I have people purchasing products I unlisted ages ago...just because it's been sitting in their cart.

This is my assessment of the problem too. I've seen numerous examples and complaints about people purchasing things at the "wrong" price. If you ever had it priced at L$99 .. ever ... then chances are that the customer placed it in their cart then and left it sit. The Marketplace NEVER empties stale carts, so customers can score some good bargains just by putting an item in their cart during the sale and purchasing it later. (However in all fairness, they generally don't realize they are doing so .. they actually forget it's in there and purchase it accidentally at their next checkout.)

At one point it was 99L, but this was some time ago. I can't imagine someone having it in their cart for nearly half a year. Perhaps this may be the case, even so (I'm sure everyone else would agree) that the Marketplace should empty automatically carts to prevent this from happening. I can't think of any other good explination. I don't want to bother the customer about this but I know that would be the only sure way to know somewhat as to what happened.

(I know this sounds corny but ...) Trust me when I say, you are not the first to encounter this situation nor the last. There has been a long-standing request to have the Shopping Cart automatically emptied on a routine basis, but to date that has not happened. This is especially troubling when it comes to having sales and temporary markdowns. Because the Shopping Cart will retain the price and product at the time it was added, any time you hold a sale you may wind up selling that item for months or years at the sale price.

The shopping cart encourages people to drop stuff in and forget about it. When they finally do check out (some time in the future) and they discover that product still in there, more than likely they see it's at a lower price so they buy it on principle ("Hey, I'm getting a good deal. Heck yeah I'll buy that!") This may in fact be to your benefit.

(BTW: There is no outstanding JIRA on this issue that I can find. I could have sworn there was one though. Does anyone have a handy link to it?)

(I know this sounds corny but ...) Trust me when I say, you are not the first to encounter this situation nor the last. There has been a long-standing request to have the Shopping Cart automatically emptied on a routine basis, but to date that has not happened. This is especially troubling when it comes to having sales and temporary markdowns. Because the Shopping Cart will retain the price and product at the time it was added, any time you hold a sale you may wind up selling that item for months or years at the sale price.

The shopping cart encourages people to drop stuff in and forget about it. When they finally do check out (some time in the future) and they discover that product still in there, more than likely they see it's at a lower price so they buy it on principle ("Hey, I'm getting a good deal. Heck yeah I'll buy that!") This may in fact be to your benefit.

(BTW: There is no outstanding JIRA on this issue that I can find. I could have sworn there was one though. Does anyone have a handy link to it?)

Yeah, if it was once priced at exactly the wrong price it sold for then this will definately be a stale cart.  And sure, it looks more like a bug than a feature to me too.

I wonder if  throwing temper tantrums on Rodvik's feed only works for easily implemented stuff like getting a banned poster on the forums restored to posting status.  Imagine the possibilities if this worked for stuff that LL should be doing without customers nagging them into it, like getting the merchant UI to resemble something any self respecting business would not be deeply mortified by and ashamed of? 

We might get actual pagination navigation instead of three pages in and then click "next" however many dozen times to get where you are going, or maybe the ability to filter out items that were delisted months ago, or perhaps Rodvik could be nagged into getting the commerce team to fix the bugs they introduced in August, or (heaven forbid) we might be automatically informed what category to list an item in when it is delisted to "educate" us. 

The possibilities are endless (given the scope and volume of the problems).

Yeah, if it was once priced at exactly the wrong price it sold for then this will definately be a stale cart.  And sure, it looks more like a bug than a feature to me too.

I wonder if  throwing temper tantrums on Rodvik's feed only works for easily implemented stuff like getting a banned poster on the forums restored to posting status.  Imagine the possibilities if this worked for stuff that LL should be doing without customers nagging them into it, like getting the merchant UI to resemble something any self respecting business would not be deeply mortified by and ashamed of? 

We might get actual pagination navigation instead of three pages in and then click "next" however many dozen times to get where you are going, or maybe the ability to filter out items that were delisted months ago, or perhaps Rodvik could be nagged into getting the commerce team to fix the bugs they introduced in August, or (heaven forbid) we might be automatically informed what category to list an item in when it is delisted to "educate" us. 

The possibilities are endless (given the scope and volume of the problems).

• 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4583 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.