V2 needs some serious performance tuning

Baron Nitely

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4562 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I keep trying viewer V2 every month or so and it seems to get more bloated and clunky each release. I can barely move around and select objects using the viewer. Yet when I login the same place with Phoenix things zip right along. LL really needs to do some serious stream lining.

It's not just default settings (when V2 came out, it seemed it was setting defaults with a bias towards a "good" picture, rather than a smooth frame rate). Frame rates plummeted with the LL Mesh-capable viewer, while the 3rd-party Viewers which could show mesh objects ran much faster

Some people are saying it isn't bugs, but something happened in the jump from Mesh-beta code to Mesh-release which the Lindens haven't fixed. It sure looks like a bug-fest from here. At the moment, if I want to see the world with Mesh objects, I use Cool VL Viewer, otherwise I stick with Phoenix.

There may have been other problems, recently. I use Windows: running a registry cleaner seems to have improved things as well. There are all sorts of little things which add up. But I don't think any one of them explains the abysmal frame rates from the official viewer, compared with mesh-capable alternatives.

Both ATi and Nvidia cards have performance issues in SL because SL lacks a fullscreen function needed to enable said video cards full GPU power. When you play SL in a windowed mode it only uses about less than half of your cards capability. And it also uses your system Ram instead of your GPU's ram. This is why you see your system ram being utilized more by SL because the GPU scales down performace for windowed apps. This is also why SL appears to "lag" in areas with lots of objects and avatars.

I tested this in V1 viewers where running them fullscreen would cause my GPU to crank up to it's full Core and Memory clocks and got a 80% performace increase. When ran as a windowed application my GPU's core and memory clocks would drop down to the lowest speed as if they weren't in use at all.

The same thing happens on nVidia cards. My friend ran the same test and found out that SL wasn't using the GPU's full core and memory speeds when windowed. Only when In fullscreen did he see full clock speeds in both memory and core and SL ran smoother.

You can use an application like MSI Afterburner (runs on both nVidia and ATi cards) to test this yourself. MSI Afterburner Site

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4562 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.