When i want to open sl viewer it asks for wich application i want to use. Wich do i have to select?

Blankiej

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4571 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

It just shows me that windowsexplorer screen so i can pick any program from windows.

If i use the shortcut on my desktop i dont get this message.

But after loading for a while i get the message that i have to update my graphics driver.

But my graphics driver is alright. What do i have to do?

4 answers to this question

Hello Blankiej and welcome to SL Forums. Which are the options? Edit your post (options --> edit). Please do no create a new thread to answer.

EDIT: Normally if you have downloaded and installed the program in your computer / laptop, you see a shortcut in your desktop. You double click it and you start the viewer. If you use the official viewer it says "Second Life Viewer 3.1.0". Or right click --> Open. The file is SecondLife.exe under C:\ Program Files \ SecondLifeViewer2.

If you are getting the "which application do you want to use" message, you are trying to open a data file of some sort.  What you need to do is run the executable program...and that is what is happening when you use the desktop shortcut.

What graphics card do you have in your computer?

For the graphics problem we need more information. Open the viewer and without logging in open Help->About and copy and paste the information here. Do that any time you ask a technical question. It will save some time.

From others having problems we know that the SL install program can be fooled or otherwise fail and install on computers that do not meet the minimum requirements for SL. So, you need to check that your computer does meet the standard. By posting the info asked for above, we can help you determine whether there is something that is a problem.

You can also read your SL crash log to see what is happening. It is in C:\users\[win_login_ID]\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife\logs\

Start at the end and work toward the beginning. Look for errors and warnings. If they make no sense to you, post them here. We may be able to make sense of them.

For the select a program problem... If you use the Maps and destinations features from the SL web pages, the problem is in your browser set up. The SL install should handle IE8 and Chrome. They may both continue to ask if it si OK to start the SL App. But, you should be asked which application.

Since that is not working you may want to doa clean install and see if that fixes the problems. If you want to keep your chat logs, you need to save them before running unninstall. They are in the same Roaming\SecondLife\ folder.

If you use more than one type of viewer, or think you may in the future, read this Second Life Clean Install for additional information on working with multiple viewer installs.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4571 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.