Bad performance..

Elisaisabel Munro

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4578 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Everything you have looks good except your RAM.  As each scene loads in from the spot you are on when you enter, it has to load all the wireframes, textures, animations and client side scripts to your PC.  2 GB of RAM by game standards is rather small.

Given the size of your RAM, I also assume you are on XP or Vista as your software.  Upgrade your RAM and you will see a lot of improvement.  Move to a quad core i7 processor with Windows 7 and it will work even better. I also use a 256 GB Samsung solid state drive for my apps and a 2 TB HD for my file drive.  Im not sure the drive helps in running SL but it sure does when using my Photoshop so, I am sure it must.

I run a dual graphics card configuration called a Crossfire that allows me 2 GB of graphics card memory and 16 GB of RAM on a quad core i7 processor.  The box was built specifically for gaming and I only get lag on very crowded sims.

I think too, your set is good enough, even the 2GB, but your graficscard (radeon 4600) could be too old for the new sl-viewers. ATI is at 6900 now (high end) and I use a 6850 at the moment. With windows 7/64 bit, 4 GB and this Radeon 6850 i can play SL with ultra graphics, lights and shadows and depth of field more or less good at around 20 FPS. Depents to the sim i am in.

You should be able to play with high grafics but performance is not only issue of graficscard. You also need a good internet connection and DSL could be too low sometimes too.

Try it with different settings in bandwith (sl's default is at 1000 kbps). You will find it in Preferences/Network and Cache at the top. Maybe raising your cache to around 1024 MB could help a bit too.

well.. always happens.. sl it's too demanding and every change makes my graphic card looks older.  I can play lots of differents vg, but not sl.

Maybe someday i could play it when i have the money to buy another graphic card.

All i'm saying it's that  second life viewer it's  the problem.  I didn't have any problem with snowglobe.

But they vanished snowglobe, don't know why... maybe lots of reasons.  But i'm not gonna spend any money for sl.

Shame on linden..

Look for a free program named GPU-Z. You can run it and see the load on your graphics card. That will tell you if it is the bottleneck.

You can open the Task Manager and see what is running on your computer. The Windows Indexer and the Google Search Indexer (for local in computer search) can both bring a computer to its knees. They can be disabled. Google for how.

Also the Task Manager will tell you the CPU load. 

Read this to figure out if memory is the problem: How to interpret Windows XP's Virtual Memory Info - the 10 numbers and 1 graph.

You should be able to find whether any part of your system is holding the Viewer back.

The version 3 viewers are slow. The 3.0.6 is slow, at least for me. Runitai and other Lindens are working to fix viewer performance issues now. There are problems between OpenGL and the SL Viewer, which are causing crashes. The video drivers and SL Viewer are not getting along, so there are problems there too. Search this forum and SLUniverse for your video card and see if there are problems with the card or its drivers. Be careful of the date items are posted.

The SL Dev Viewer 3.1.1 is faster than the Dev 3.0.6 is was using.

Also, some default settings for graphics cards are wrong. Check that Anti-Aliasing (AA) is turned off, or down. THe setting in in Preferences -> Graphics -> (advanced or Hardware). Check your Debug Settings for CurlUseMultipleThreads and make sure it is enabled (true). Deferred Render should probably be on.

Tweaking graphics settings gets complicated. If your into understanding graphics settings read through: Graphics Tweaking for Second Life.

Most third party viewers (TPV), which are mesh render capable, are using SLV3 code and have the many of the same problems as SLV3. They have not had time to optimize and solve bottlenecks in the code. Dolphin Viewer 3 has a pretty good frame rate. Kirstens viewer has a good frame rate. Older viewers have better frame rates but are not mesh render capable, which for now is not that big an issue.

The Linden Lab Viewer--currently Viewer 3 with Mesh--seems to be full of bugs. The graphics have been obvious, but memory use seems dodgy as well. It might not be a memory leak, in the normal sense, but I get warning messages from the OS after a while.

It's not simply the Mesh support: other viewers, based on earlier code versions, aren't haveing the problems.

Firestorm just switched to using Viewer 3 code, and hit huge problems. Since they want to track the Linden Lab graphics code, which makes a lot of sense, they're stuck waiting for Linden Labs to fix the bugs.

I do have a suspicion that Linden Labs have moved a lot of things away from the sim servers, and they are not struggling with network topology. In the old days. everything came through the sim servers, which gave problems for busy sims, but spread the traffic around. We've now centralised the servers for textures, and yet still need to communicate with the sims.

That's a mix of dispersion and concentration, and I'm beginning to wonder if anyone can do both.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4578 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.