Will Free Love Change SL?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4620 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

As I understand your wish for free everything, when you purchase something in second life, you are not only paying for the animations to make it move and be realistic, or the textures to make appealing, you are paying for the talent and hard work of the person behind the screen. The person doesn't have to be greedy to wish that his or her time is well received, if their was free everything as you state then their would be no quality control, the system would be flooded with designs, but after a while the creative ones that bring you the beautiful things like designer skins, or hair, wonderful animations would get a new hobby. Ask an animator how long it takes of their real life time to make an animation, or a hair designer how long to place the 140 plus prims it takes to make hair flow just right. So, as I understand, maybe this helps to give you another point of view.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PeterCanessa Oh wrote:

And there was me thinking Maya's quote was not Longfellow at all ...

It's astounding, time is fleeting

Madness takes its toll

But listen closely, not for very much longer

I've got to keep control

I remember doing the Time Warp

Drinking those moments when

The blackness would hit me and the void would be calling  <== You called, Void?

Let's do the time warp again...

But it's the pelvic trust that really drives you insane...

Frank_n_Dresden.png

...Dres

Storm Clarence wrote:

Jumpman Lane wrote:

ew just EWWWWWWWWWW hehehehehe

I just didn't have the courage, but this^^

ETA Dres, the hair is all wrong!

Oh I know... that hair is horrible... it was a last minute buy and as close as I could get given the time constraints.  Still I won best costume. 

I keep meaning to go back and buy this hair I saw once at Truth that was perfect, but who knows if I'll ever dress up like that again.  During the almost three years I've been in SL, that was the only party I was ever invited to that had a R.H.P.S. theme.

...Dres (The shoes sucked as well.)

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

Storm Clarence wrote:

Jumpman Lane wrote:

ew just EWWWWWWWWWW hehehehehe

I just didn't have the courage, but this^^

ETA Dres, the hair is all wrong!

Oh I know... that hair is horrible... it was a last minute buy and as close as I could get given the time constraints.  Still I won best costume. 

Dres (The shoes sucked as well.)

I even have to 'teach' the gay dudes how to dress.  What is this forum coming to?  

Void Singer wrote:

... oh wait, we have that world. It's called reality, where people have to look out for their own survival first, need to eat, and need to be willing to put an effort forth to get something in return. sorry but no, I'm not up for supporting lazy and greedy bastards who want the world handed to them on a silver platter while someone else does all the work.

Dad?

Mayalily wrote:

Stella Carver wrote:

...  a sign I saw once in someone's office which said just the opposite: "Give a man a fish, he knows where to come for fish. Teach a man to fish and you've just destroyed your marketbase."

I read it and laughed and said something like, "nice sign". He went into a ten minute spiel, breaking down the original,"Teach a man to fish", idiom and explained to me why that attitude was "
bad for the countr
y". Scary, scary guy.

The exact quote is "give a man a fish, you've fed him for a day.  Teach a man to fish, you've fed him for a lifetime."

I think the guy with the sign was prob making the point that when everyone goes fishing the rivers and oceans soon run out of fish. So we introduce quotas and licensing to stop this happening. Downside is that if you cant get a license then you cant go fishing even if you know how.

16 wrote:

Mayalily wrote:

Stella Carver wrote:

...  a sign I saw once in someone's office which said just the opposite: "Give a man a fish, he knows where to come for fish. Teach a man to fish and you've just destroyed your marketbase."

I read it and laughed and said something like, "nice sign". He went into a ten minute spiel, breaking down the original,"Teach a man to fish", idiom and explained to me why that attitude was "
bad for the countr
y". Scary, scary guy.

The exact quote is "give a man a fish, you've fed him for a day.  Teach a man to fish, you've fed him for a lifetime."

I think the guy with the sign was prob making the point that when everyone goes fishing the rivers and oceans soon run out of fish. So we introduce quotas and licensing to stop this happening. Downside is that if you cant get a license then you cant go fishing even if you know how.

I wouldn't have thought to take it so literally.  My take on it was that it's a metaphor for keeping people ignorant in order to keep them from figuring out how to provide the service or product, which you provide to them, for themselves.

...Dres

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

16 wrote:

Mayalily wrote:

Stella Carver wrote:

bad for the countr
y". Scary, scary guy.

I wouldn't have thought to take it so literally.  My take on it was that it's a metaphor for keeping people ignorant in order to keep them from figuring out how to provide the service or product, which you provide to them, for themselves.

...Dres

lol, Dres is correct. The gist of this nut's opinion, (who was a contractor, btw) was that 'regular' people had no business doing things themselves and should pay professionals instead. He thought Home Depot was some sort of evil and had a whole diatribe on HGTV (The D.I.Y. network). "I didn't spend 20 years in this business for every jackleg who watches TV for an hour to think he can hang his own sheetrock!!", peppered with plenty of swearing. He was definitely unique.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4620 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.