Total noob question about "show in search"

DanielNX

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4629 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This is NOT about marketplace stores and items!

I have a shop in world. When I set up a box for sale (in world) I have the option to tick for "show in search". So I do that, but which search exactly? I don't see single items when I do the ctrl+f search in world, I do not see my own items in that search either.

Can someone explain what it is I am activating? Thanks.

I tried googling but found only info about the OOG marketplace.

Here's another person who didn't realise what was going on there until recently !

I worked out that the parcel you're on has to be listed in search for your item to show in SL search - as long as your item has the "show in search" box tickd.

If you are able to change the land settings then you can do this yourself on one of the tabs there - there is a L$30 per week fee for this.

Now, come and join my "The Enlightment Club".

Emma :) 

P.S. I am sorry I lied, there is no club like that - I made it up. 

Yes it is for searching too though, example, if something has an odd name as many things do and you only remember part of the name you can put it in inworld search and the sim it is in will show up where that items is with a teleport right to it. I used part of the name of first item in my list "508 Wetherby" and my sim came up. The whole name of the item is really " #508 Wetherby's 'Celine' Maxi Dress - Purple".

Just to add further clarity

When you search using the 'All' tab, your parcel, providing it is set to show, will be returned with this object in the results. There is a good chance however that you will be so far down the list that your parcel won't show at all. The way around this is to have lots of items set to show all including the same search term in the item name and description, and include this search term in the parcel description.

Something like this...

Parcel Name: Widgets of Secondlife

Parcel Description: Fabulous Widgets at great prices, Second Lifes leading widget supplier, Sex Widgets for all, French and German Widgets a speciality

Note: do not use the search term more than 4 times in the parcel description the system will see it as Spam, 3 times only for safety

Object Name: Wonderful Super Widget - Object description - The finest Widget in Second Life. a beautiful blue Widget

Note: never have the search term follow itself so 'widget, widget' must never appear, watch for this as the last word of the object name and the first word of the description again the system will see this as spam.

The greater the density (the number of times this word occurs in your descriptions compared with other words) of the search term on your parcel the more likely it is to appear high in search.

Search is indexed twice a day, so don't expect instant results, make changes, leave for 24 hours, and then make changes again until you get it right. It will probably take several days.

Keyword density is not the only factor affecting search results, there are a number of mysterious algorithms at play, plus the actions of other users, who may also be vying for position on the same keyword.

If you really want to see what going on, SEO tools, available on the Marketplace, are essential.

If you do all of the above, you can happily join the rest of us, in wondering why, after following all the available advice you are still at the bottom of page 3. : ) 

Not sure if this is still an issue or not but ... if you are showing your sim in search, have an item for sale that has show in search checked, item is no mod, someone buys item.....they rez item on their sim which also is adv is search, your item will continue to show in search but for their sim & they cannot uncheck box as it is no mod.

Nice I suppose for those that want to perpetually advertise their items but not so nice for the purchaser who may not be so tickled you are getting a tad bit of advertising on their dollar.

:)

DanielNX wrote:

I have a shop in world. When I set up a box for sale (in world) I have the option to tick for "show in search". So I do that, but which search exactly?

The in-world search: Your shop or Parcel and then the Name and the Description of the item will show up

EXAMPLE: Search ALL for African Elephant ... you see my parcel pop up. Click on my name and you will load a list of the things I have for sale. Scroll down and there is the elephant listed, with the coordinates and sale price.

It helps if you have each prim named so it describes what it is, with a good description.

You can also name vendors to describe what is in them. In my parcel, each shop building has at least one prim named to describe the contents fo that building. I think it's the sign at the door.

And, I see that I have to make sure that stupid lantern (not for sale) gets unchecked so it's not in my search results.

Nefertiti Nefarious wrote:

Click on my name and you will load a list of the things I have for sale. Scroll down and there is the elephant listed, with the coordinates and sale price.

That's funny, I don't find that list - when  clicking on your name I see just your profile.

But I am beginning to understand that if you have an item for sale in a shop in a shopping district, and someone does a search for that type of item, what will happen is:

1) The item itself will not appear in search results

2) Your shop  will also not appear in the  search result either, since there is not a way of registering your shop.

Is that correctt? The whole parcel may come out in the search result, but not your shop, is what I am hearing.

For your specific shop to get attention it seems you need a paid classified ad, although I still don't understand how these are ranked....

That's funny, I don't find that list - when  clicking on your name I see just your profile. The list of items should show up when it loads.

1) The item itself will not appear in search results  TRUE ... the parcel will show up, click on the parcel and the list of things on the parcel appears (after leg)

2) Your shop  will also not appear in the  search result either, since there is not a way of registering your shop. Only if you control the whole parcel. If I were to rent a shop, I owuld want the area under the shop to be subdivided out so I could have it show in search.

The whole parcel may come out in the search result, but not your shop, is what I am hearing.

For your specific shop to get attention it seems you need a paid classified ad, although I still don't understand how these are ranked.... OR find a shopping area where the individual shops are independent parcels.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4629 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.