FAO Linden Labs

NikCruze

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4602 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

SInce mesh introduction, no longer does V2 work no longer does FS work, kirstens is being disbanded (real shame that, imo the best ever made) and the only viewer that seems to work for me now is phoenix.

This is all  due apparerently to LL not recognizing the Nvidia's 450's, 460's cards by other manufacturers (ie Zotac etc).

This has become such a PITA lately! Would be nice if you  guys could get on top of this situation.

I've researched and researched this and it was confirmed in the latest 'phoenix hour' blog that it is those cards that cause the probs because LL haven't addressed them in their configs/coding

I play WOW (world of warcraft) on ultra high settings and NEVER have a prob on my pc (4Gb ram, 3.0Ghz proc)

For gawds sake, pls sort this out. it's driving me nuts!

Thank you.

Well, to the best of my knowledge, that's what the purpose of forums is for.

This doesn''t bother me asmuch as the fact that they've known about this for long enough and have still done nothing about it.

Or do they just expect us all to ugrade our 1Gb cards for fracks sake!!!

Really  hope they sort this soon, i've invested a lot of both money and time into this sim, i would think there customers deserved to be able to actually use new features when they come out, not be left on the sidelines.

And as for contacting them by other means, i believe the forum is monitored by them (or should be) so this should be enough to get the job done. I've little faith, from past experience of developer supports that anything would come of contacting them in person. better to make it public, on there own forum and get it said and done and addressed (with any luck).

Not after any comments suggesting anything different thank you (unless it's people with the same complaint and adding their 2 cents).

If you don't have a 450 or 460 card then as the saying goes 'Your alright jack!'

Well I and those in same position as me ARE NOT alright till this is sorted out, we are actually stuck with a v1 viewer!!!

yes you are correct, apparently there are a few vid cards out there that have issues with grafix, 

and what with a 1 gb video card..even my 5 yr old pc has that...

btw a 10 yr old radeon  ati 9550 with drivers from 2007 (not any later though) will still connect with earlier versions of viewer 2.

I havent tried viewer 3 yet, but 18 fps is normal for me in my system..

NikCruze wrote:

This is all  due apparerently to LL not recognizing the Nvidia's 450's, 460's cards by other manufacturers (ie Zotac etc)

SL is having problems with 4- & 5-series NVidia cards that are using the newer NVidia drivers. LL has to change a lot of code to fix the problem, but the Jira on it gives a work-around. Check
. It says which driver to use. An explanation of the actual problem is in a comment near the bottom of the page.

BTW, This is a user forum; there's no guarantee any Linden Lab employee will ever read your post.

Yes, its a shot in the dark to post in forum with intention Lindens will read it and act upon your complaint. If you want the issue addressed it is best to file it as bug report on JIRA, or ask for help in a support ticket (I think this issue requires JIRA).

Making use of the appropriate channels is how things get done.

I have heard of this workaround, ie downgrading to early Nvidia driver.

The problem with this, for me, is that my pc relys solely on the card for graphics output, there is no generic inbuilt vga output.

Also, one of the updates for nvidia resolved clipping issue with realtek HD audio sound. If i downgrade I go back to that!

So for me to downgrade would not only not be a solution, but also a potential catastrophe (ie trying to install drivers with nothing to see on the screen because of uninstalling the later edition

Rather than putting people in this position, LL should be keeping up to date, people shouldn't have to 'downgrade' to 'keep up' with SL. Also it should be noted that anybody using Gpu cards is always advised to use the latest and most up to date drivers, thereby avoiding such potential conflicts as the 'Bsod' or 'blue screen of death' which when occuring can be unrecoverable and requires complete reinstallation.

I'm just glad phoenix is workable right now (but for how long!) because without this viewer I would not be able to play SL at all in it's current state. *see first post* it simply crashes!!!

your research is faulty and incomplete.

1) forums are generally for resident use and announcements from LL, this isn't like dev forums for games that you may be familiar with.

2) there are currently 4 viewers other than vaniLLa V3 that support mesh, Phoenix suffers the same problems, Cool VL I believe does not, Astra, which I know little about, and Dolphin now also supports Mesh (which can be forgiven for missing since even I only found out today)

Well, to answer your reply,  I know full well what a forum is thank you, having been a moderator on quite a few of them, notably graphic design and signature forums.

Also, you said it is the same with phoenix... I have never had the crash prob with phoenix in regards to this issue, EVER.

Even with settings set to ultra, it runs stable with zero open Gl error code 8's.

I have also posted on the Jira thread about this Nvidia issue with the sl viewers.

I just hope they don't consider it resolved with the solution to be 'DOWNGRADING' card drivers!!!

Re other viewers... Why is it that 'THEY' can get it right but LL's OWN viewer doesn't address the issue?

I realize they are working on this 'open GL Nvidia card prob', however, it really shouldn't take that long, surely all they need to do is put their viewer code inline with those such as 'Cool VL' etc and prob solved!

In the meantime, this is very frustrating to those who use those cards (ie a LOT of people)

• 3 weeks later...

Appreciate the reply, but I don't twitter or fb lol I don't have time for anymore things like that inbetween Sl and RL.

I am though, patiently following the jira thread on this one and from what I can tell they are getting there but still aways to go before it's all fully stable for the majority of Nvidia users who want to get the most out of (or the higher end) of the graphics on SL.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4602 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.