Confusion on my display and login names

marlabarr

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4654 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I read that I would choose a login name and then select a display name.  I was not given the option when I signed up to select a display name and did not want my login name used for that.  So I edited my profile to change the display name.  Now my avatar has my display name with my login name under it in parenthesis.  How can I just have my display name I chose shown over my avatar?

Thank you for any help

Just to clarify a bit: what you set to see in the name tag, either User Name (aka: login name) or Display Name or both, only affects what you see. Anybody else will see what they have set to see in the name tags.

So, irrespective of your own setting, other people might see your User Name, your Display Name, or both. So don't be surprised if many people still will call you by your User Name (which is your login name). Therefore the introduction and implementation of Display Names was not so great idea from Linden Lab. I guess a lot of people have set to see only the User Name (aka: login name). Our User Name is our real identity. It is unique to each avatar. Display Names are not unique.

• 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4654 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.