Bit OT, But Desperate - please, does anyone know what this type of software is called??

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4659 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Sorry to bother you guys, but I know what a wealth of knowledge is here, and I am getting a bit grumpy about this.

I have put some of the textures I make for SL on a cd, for my mother and her crafting friends to use in their scrapbooks and card making.

They are not particularly computer literate, and mum said 'it would be nice if it works like my other scrapbooking cds'.

When she loads one of her commercial craft cds, she gets a 'photo album' type browser from which she can select one of the graphics on the cd.  She can then perform very basic editing on it - cropping, rotating etc, and then print it out.  All from the standalone cd, not needing another graphics program etc.

Please, does anyone know where I might find software like this to buy for use on my own disks?  Surely all the different companies doing it are not writing it from scratch themselves.  Any suggestions of packages that might do this, or even what this sort of software is CALLED (so I can find it myself) would be really gratefully received.

Thank you very much indeed.

If I were to take a guess I would bet you do not need special software at all. Her craft software is most likely programed to read certain file formats wether that be .jpg, tga or png. If you find out what format the files on her cds are and save them as the same format her program will most likely read them like she likes them. Well I am hoping this is the case for your sake. :)

Just get the exact same program your mother has...

or Google photo editing programs, I just did... About 7,550,000 results. Many to choose from.

I think most people out here would be using photoshop, paintshop or gimp but these all do a lot more than just rotate and crop.

each brand of craft CD has it's own software interface if it doesn't use the basic windows file/picture viewer, of the really popular brands i think it's called craft studio it does basic picture editing a lot i've come across just have the images on the CD you can view the images with the windows picture viewer and print from there or put them in a more advanced picture editor

any free image editor or photo album program will work, there are even some that are available from the OS makers (depends on the OS).

for windows you can actually use the native explorer file viewer to take advantage of this, simply look up the command line options for explorer that will cause it to open up a window in the current directory in preview or icon modes, then type that text into a text file in the pattern below. you can also look at a normal installation disk for any other program to see how that works.

[AUTORUN]open=Explorer.exe <command line parameters go here>

Thank you Claireschen!  Yes, this is what I mean.  A STANDALONE thing on the cd!

Sadly there seems to be many things called that, but I am searching again.  I will also go over my mum's and rummage through her disks, see if any give a clue like 'powered by X' or 'Software by X'.

There are so many companies doing this, i am sure there MUST be a commercial product I can buy to generate my own.

Would it be possible to find out the names of the companies that make these craft cds and see if they have some sort of online forums, or perhaps possibly your mother and her friends might belong to some sort of craft group or forum? Maybe if you were able to ask there someone might know someone who might know.

Elgyfu Wishbringer wrote:

They are not particularly computer literate, and mum said 'it would be nice if it works like my other scrapbooking cds'.

When she loads one of her commercial craft cds, she gets a 'photo album' type browser from which she can select one of the graphics on the cd
.  She can then perform very basic editing on it - cropping, rotating etc, and then print it out.  All from the standalone cd, not needing another graphics program etc.

Does this "photo album" have the ability for her to add more images to it?

If so, she just needs to open your CD and follow the instructions on her program for adding more images. Because taking them from your CD is no more complicated that it would be to take them from a web source or from her document folders or a flash drive.

I think I am still struggling to explain that this has to be STANDALONE, just this one cd, not dependant on their having ANY particular existing thing.

I am not trying to make a disk that is compatible with an existing thing  - I am trying to make a single, standalone, system, like the ones that are already available.

Perhaps it is just that you guys are all comptuer literate and so offering me good solutions for browsing/editing pictures in general - but not solutions to the specific problem that I have - to make something for people who are not computer literate and do not already own software to do this.

Yes, I think the best thing to do is go look at mum's collection and see who made them and if I can see the name of the front-end engine in the files. 

Thank you again for your help everyone.

*hugs*

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4659 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.