how to make stuff to sell

Blackbubblegum

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4671 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

5 answers to this question

what exactly do you want to sell?

clothes and skins require you to have templates and can be created in a photoediting program

shapes can be made in viewer with edit appearance mode

prim attachments you can make these from scratch using a sculpting program or buy creator kits or even use the build tools in the viewer

homes and furniture cars and other rezzables you can make these with the building tools provided in your viewer or with creator kits or sculpts made from scratch

scripts you can make in the viewer

textures can be made in a photo editor

animations can be made with animating programs or inworld tools exist 

i think first i would suggest playing around with the viewers build tools with a little bit of skill and imagination you can make a pair of shoes a chair or a home and texture them with textures already in your inventory or buy textures if you think they are any good you can sell them for L$0, L$1,L$100 what ever you think they are worth

• Like 1

Making stuff is very easy.  Making good stuff is harder.  Making good stuff that anyone wants to buy is even harder.

Everyone in SL has the tools to create things, and many of us create the everyday things around us.  A few people take the time to perfect their creative skills by taking in-world classes or learning how to use external texturing and modeling tools like Photoshop and Blender, or by learning how to write LSL scripts.  It can be terrific fun. 

If you are thinking of creating things in order to make a lot of money, though, don't count on it.  Because here are a lot of talented people in SL, the competition is steep for many kinds of products (clothes, houses, vehicles....), and it's tough to sell enough things to pay for your time ... at least in RL terms. You can make a lot more money in RL for the same amount of effort.  I'm not saying this to discourage you at all -- I have been creating and selling things in SL for 4 years myself -- but to be sure that you want to create things because it's what you truly enjoy doing. 

If the creative life appeals to you, welcome aboard. :smileyhappy:  And if you really do want to sell what you make, take time also to learn the marketing side.  Start here >>> http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Selling-objects/ta-p/700143

• Like 1

Start with taking some of the free classes you will find in Search - Events Section - Education

You will find classes in building, scripting and many other topics that will help you discover what you might want to create in SL and provide the basics to further build your skillsets

That's a pretty open-ended question.

The best answer I can think of to "How to make stuff to sell" is...learn stuff.

Most items are a combination of scripts, textures, and a "build".  There are also sounds and animations.  Particles are sort of a hybrid of scripts and textures but are almost a separate field in and of themselves.  

Most people tend to specialize in one of these areas but most develop skills in at least a couple of these fields.  Pick one and start studying it.  Find one that you enjoy messing about with and start making things to satisfy wants and needs that you have during your travels in SL.

If you wanted or needed what you made and you enjoy using your creation, there is a fair bet that others would want it as well.

I often see questions like this and I always say that if your goal is to make money, you will be much better off doing that in the real world and then using the money you make there to buy lindens.  Make stuff here because you enjoy it.  The chances of you making real money (or any money at all) selling stuff isn't really all that good.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4671 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.