Land surrounds and contains an abandoned mini plot - what to do?

Chronometria

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4519 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Dear all,

I`m thinking of buying my first mainland and found a quirky plot that is nice but which contains a tiny 160 plot that was abandoned in 09 and which has banlines up and what looks like an ad board stuck in it, but not by the "owner". If i was to buy this land, would i be able to claim the abandoned plot somehow? (it is totally surrounded by the parcel i may purchase)

Putting it to auction is a start but not a great thing seeing as someone could hold me to random with it, but if i couldnt use it, getting the banlines off would be good.

What is everyone's advice on this? It clearly caused the owner some issues as the plot is a good price, but i dont want to walk into a problem that they are running from.

I would advice you to file a ticket and get that piece of land to be sold to you. I am just not sure how long it will take though. My last issue I had with Mainland took 2 days for someone to respond just because it was filed during the weekends.

If it was me, I would buy that piece of land surrounding it and file the ticket but I wouldn't encourage it to anyone else unless they are willing to take the risk.

Thankyou for the tips and for posting.

I took the risk as the land was a good price, even with the wierd shape and this curious island mini plot. This is the first mainland i have owned and i guess this gives it some "character". I put in an AR report, starting with the adboard that wasnt owned by the abandoned plotholder anyway and which encroaches. I mentioned my wish to purchase and absorb the mini plot and hopefully i will be able to do this, as my tier, thanks to leaving my linden home, can handle the extra.

I havent ever talked to Linden Lab about these sorts of things, but i hope they will prove helpful. At least if the banlines were removed i could pave over it or something, but it would be so much better to take care of it as proper land.

Great link Qwalyphi, thankyou for taking the time to link it, it seems to apply to my situation as you say. A small parcel bordered on at least 3 sides, thats fantastic. That link also helped me make a "land case" submission, which i didnt know about before. Top notch!

Good thing really, as otherwise its like having a huge, flashing, electric fence in the middle of my house.....which would be bad.

Like the others have said, filing a ticket to get help is the way to go. I had to do it myself a couple of weeks ago when someone started putting all sorts of junk on some abandoned mainland next to my property. The plot also had banlines up, and no autoreturn set. The ticket I filed was dealt with the same day I filed it - Autoreturn set and banlines taken down. I also think - as was mentioned before - that a ticket is the way to go regarding buying the tiny plot in the middle of your land.

- Luc -

Well, Dee Linden came and tidied it up, took down the banlines and got rid of the block. Also turns out there was a marketplace magicbox active on the abandoned parcel. My friend pussycat catnip tells me that this is a known trick, placing the box down and then abandoning the land in order to get a rent free shop.

Very pleased with the Linden response so far and Dee was very friendly. Now i just wait for the land case, but i feel much better now the flashing electric fence and the junk have gone.

/me waves. ;)

Yeah someone had put a magic box there. We AR'd the thing.

I'm surprised the lindens didn't set the land for sale to you directly right when they popped in. Usually they will.

Ps: I logged in and found myself on the lot - and there's a club in the same sim that had 30 people in it. But I suppose that won' matter as they're a timezone specific club.

Keep bugging the lindens to get the mini-lot sold directly to you.

Slightly misreading your post reminded me of 'land classes' - NCI and I think Oxbridge both offer land classes to people. Good idea to take to see if they have anything worth knowing. Back when I took the NCI one in 2009 - it was taught by a person who was anti-mainland and pro-estate, and so only covered finding and dealing with landlords, and never anything I myself needed. But I've been since told that both groups now do a much better job.

Actually, i see the club as a positive point. I rather like the idea of being in an area that actually sees some visitors. Also, the club is on the ground and its pretty cool to look at. So many clubs these days are skyboxes, but this one i can walk into and visit.

And hey, i live next to a cool club! - which is deeply awesome! It's like being in hollywood or something.

• 4 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4519 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.