Looking for Product Exposure?

JT Hamelin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4646 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Creating a game for users to play. It's going to be freely copiable. (meaning anyone who wants a copy can have it and even take it back to their houses) Every time the game is played one impression is given to the user. The user plays for free.

1 Impression = 256 Characters

1 Unit = 100 impressions.

1 Unit cost advertiser L$ 100

Don't want to give the game's idea away just yet, but any suggestions as to business stratagy?

how exactly does that work Amy?  I had asked some questions of you and your business partner Wili in that thread you had started, advertising your new business, but can't find that thread today.  Did they move it?  I checked your profile, and I see all kinds of threads that you started....but can't find that particular one. 

Well in a pay-per-click network you basically charge the advertiser per click. It is a bit like google adsense if you have ever used that.

Trouble with pay per click advertising is that the standard adboard rental per week is very strongly in peoples minds - even if the value is very low...

I got bored of ad networks :matte-motes-not-entertained:

I think that those that charge for time (on weekly basis) charge for time just because they can hide the fact that some boards don't even get any clicks from people.

Yes, that is what I think too.

Once I rented an adboard for 4 weeks at 500L$ per week. It was in a high traffic sim with lots of people. I got like 4 clicks and none of them turned into customers. If I'd used an pay per click network I would have got more value probably...

I got an ad board off of marketplace. 

Looked like a really good concept, and I placed it in one of my market areas.

Then I plugged it on twitter.

But since....have found that I don't really like the style of the people running that business, so I pulled the board out, and I'll need to retract my plug on twitter.  Will probably need to do that several times today, since the SL population is on at all different times.

Be really careful who you do business with and promote.  You don't want to promote someone who has business values at the opposite end of the spectrum as yours.  Do your research and observe.

Yeah - it's a bummer for that ad network, because I've got a really big mouth on twitter.  Here, too actually....but I'm on best behavior today.  Ask around - people will verify that.

I need to go check that ad network's name so I can be really clear.

You got your network set up on twitter didn't you?  because if you didn't....missing the boat big time there.  And you can't exactly start that up overnight.  Takes some time.

I would assume that you considered that....being in the advertising business and all.

AmyNevilly wrote:

Yes, that is what I think too.

Once I rented an adboard for 4 weeks at 500L$ per week. It was in a high traffic sim with lots of people. I got like 4 clicks and none of them turned into customers. If I'd used an pay per click network I would have got more value probably...

Unless i'm mistaken, the system operated by SecondAd's doesn't report who the click was made by either so how does the advertiser gauge the success if they can't determine if the click turned into a customer?

This game actually pays the user for playing though (if they win). So, from the game's perspective, I must charge based on impressions. Basically, it's freely copiable, so you could place it in your house, on your property, sell it in a shop. The users who won would be given L$. The advertisements would be popping up on every copy of the game that is floating around. With a nice Sponsored by message :-) Basically the user gets paid for playing the game every now and then.

You know, I haven't thought about that. Thanks for the advice. I'm currently working on a website for the game b/c I no longer wanted to host it in SL. I wanted to pay the players real money. But now I've hit the stump of how I can verify to advertisers that I'm not scamming them :-( Wonder if there's a way to verify 500 impressions without requiring a third party. I just got funding for this project today, but I don't have a way to show advertisers I'm not stiffing them :-( Any ideas? I'm showing users who the last winner was, so they won't be skeptical, but never considered I would have to account for the 500 impressions individually. . . I did just get funding, but I didn't get enough to hire third parties :-(

I may incorperate it into SL after the server is setup, but not until I get some major traffic.

Actually, does anyone here own land?

I have a business proposition. . . If you own land, and are willing to sign a legally binding contract, I will give you a percentage of the profit in this, if I may place a server prim on your land. It can have any appearance you desire (tree, car, bench) but it must contain my script. I will give you access to the object and it's script. You could be my 3rd party verification. You will be required to sign a non disclosure agreement (except in verifying that the server does what it is supposed to do <doesn't gip advertisers>) regarding the game and it's processes.

I don't own any land, so this would be a huge favor, and as stated, I would be willing to give you a percentage of the profits. You'll have the server, so you'll know I'm not gipping you.

Why not just use one of the "rent a prim" services that charge just a few L$'s a month.  Even a premium membership bought anually costs what?  $76 of which over the year you get back around $60 in stipend and get 512m2 free of maintenance.  $4 for your land cost for the year? 

(check the premium price but it's in that sort of order)

I'm new, so I don't know about this stuff :-). Thanks for the info. I just know I need a server prim and a place to host it. The problem is, I don't know if the game will make any money or not. If the place where it's stored requires a fee, and the game doesn't make money, I would be out the money. If I have land on which to host the server (giving the owner a percentage) I could make money and if it didn't bring very much a particular month, knowing the land owner on a personal level may give me a little lee way. I've already had several advertisers ask me about traffic the game will receive, so I'm going to code the game for the Internet first, and the SL game will be setup afterwards, so I may get an accurate representation of how many people are actually into the game.

Not so much leeway, just that we dont mind; we are not useing the land for much right now besides small store, and some building. If it brings in a profit so be it , we are happy to help you out, as it has a chance to help us both out in the long run :P

grr sorry to double post just wating to make sure it gets read, as we are doing small quick posts. 

I am heading to bed, but my friend te3re baxton can contuie this conversastion in world if you wish.   I hope this works out well; and if you use someone else, may it still have equal success.

*edit* okay sweet, if yo would please sen da frineds request and we can talk then. Sorry am kinda pooped night nad best of luck

Well, you may not need a third party but you do need some form of reporting that can be tracked.  It might even help if you showed what everyone else was doing as well.  Just form of authentication that can be trusted.

I am in the adult internet business in RL where we pay out affiliates for traffic.  The conversation of "shaving" comes up all the time and the only way to get around it had been using affiliate management system provided by our payment processing companies such as CCBill and Epoch.

So you're the people filling my AIM, MSN, and other messenging services with those messages LOL. I don't like those things LOL. I will however attempt to take your words into consideration. Thanks, but as of current, the game is text based (no html) I believe it would be impossible to insert tracking mechanisms with such a scheme.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4646 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.