Auction to Watch by Noon SLT Today

Prokofy Neva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 71 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Alloy (188,182) General 9136m

• Name

Alloy (188,182) General 9136m

• Size

9136 M²

• Maturity

General

• Region

Alloy

• Number of Bidders

• Winning Bid

L$24,787
    (2.71 L$ per m²)

• Start Time

2024/07/24, 12:00:00 SLT (Wednesday)

• End Time

2024/07/26, 12:00:00 SLT (Friday)

Bidding History

Bid Amount Date/Time
L$24,787 (2.71 L$ per m²) 2024-07-26 | 11:59:58 SLT
L$24,777 (2.71 L$ per m²) 2024-07-26 | 11:59:58 SLT
L$23,787 (2.60 L$ per m²) 2024-07-26 | 11:59:31 SLT
L$23,777 (2.60 L$ per m²) 2024-07-26 | 11:59:31 SLT
L$22,810 (2.50 L$ per m²) 2024-07-26 | 11:59:24 SLT
L$22,800 (2.50 L$ per m²) 2024-07-26 | 11:59:24 SLT
L$22,787 (2.49 L$ per m²) 2024-07-26 | 11:59:14 SLT
L$22,777 (2.49 L$ per m²) 2024-07-26 | 11:59:14 SLT
L$21,787 (2.38 L$ per m²) 2024-07-26 | 11:59:02 SLT
L$21,777 (2.38 L$ per m²) 2024-07-26 | 11:59:02 SLT
L$19,787 (2.17 L$ per m²) 2024-07-26 | 11:58:49 SLT
L$19,777 (2.16 L$ per m²) 2024-07-26 | 11:58:49 SLT
L$18,787 (2.06 L$ per m²) 2024-07-26 | 11:58:22 SLT
L$18,777 (2.06 L$ per m²) 2024-07-26 | 11:58:22 SLT
L$18,304 (2.00 L$ per m²) 2024-07-26 | 11:51:36 SLT
L$18,294 (2.00 L$ per m²) 2024-07-26 | 11:51:36 SLT
L$17,787 (1.95 L$ per m²) 2024-07-26 | 11:51:01 SLT
L$17,777 (1.95 L$ per m²) 2024-07-26 | 11:51:01 SLT
L$16,086 (1.76 L$ per m²) 2024-07-26 | 11:45:15 SLT
L$16,076 (1.76 L$ per m²) 2024-07-26 | 11:45:15 SLT
L$10,010 (1.10 L$ per m²) 2024-07-26 | 11:38:43 SLT
L$10,000 (1.09 L$ per m²) 2024-07-26 | 11:38:43 SLT
L$9,147 (1.00 L$ per m²) 2024-07-26 | 11:23:23 SLT
L$9,137 (1.00 L$ per m²) 2024-07-26 | 11:23:23 SLT
L$5,010 (0.55 L$ per m²) 2024-07-26 | 11:22:51 SLT
L$5,000 (0.55 L$ per m²) 2024-07-26 | 11:22:51 SLT
L$4,600 (0.50 L$ per m²) 2024-07-26 | 11:15:02 SLT
  • Thanks 1

Looks like they cleaned up their act temporarily.

A good half of this region is Linden or LDPW protected land and yet it's only single-primmed. Wonder how it got this way.

[EDIT: Oh heh, of course they "cleaned up their act" — they bought it by the time I noticed what they were doing.]

Edited by Qie Niangao
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

Looks like they cleaned up their act temporarily.

A good half of this region is Linden or LDPW protected land and yet it's only single-primmed. Wonder how it got this way.

[EDIT: Oh heh, of course they "cleaned up their act" — they bought it by the time I noticed what they were doing.]

Yes, "art show" (claim date -- yesterday lol) was cleaned up by the time of the auction win by these winners.

As for the primmage and such, I don't know. I mean, ask somebody who was on the teen grid (I'll ask Henry later but he may hang up on me). 

Daniel Voyager might recall. 

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Why would a Mainland island even in General on the old Teen Grid sell for only $2.71/per meter?

Hmmm, odd size, G rated, ugly, but end of the day because none of the 5 bidders wanted to pay more.

It's called "Free Market Capitalism", you keep implying you're a fan of the stuff, so why question it's basic tenet, people can decide if they want to pay for something,, or NOT..

3 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

A good half of this region is Linden or LDPW protected land and yet it's only single-primmed.

Heads up, outside of a FEW select areas, virtually ALL LL auctioned land on regions with significant LL holdings, are sold as single prim parcels.

Double prim is RARE.

It's like you guys don't know how LL land auctions work. Why is it sinbgle prim, becaue most mainland is single prim, why didn't it sell for more, because nobody wanted it bad ebnough to pay more.

LL Mainland Auctions 101

The ugliness was engineered for the auction.

The single-prim thing isn't auction-related at all, just an oddity for a region that's more than half protected land with very sparse infrastructure.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

The ugliness was engineered for the auction.

I forgot where region this was, but I saw this strategy deployed recently and personally thought it was pretty dumb. 

I was new to the region and could tell within 10 seconds that all the 'art' belonged to a person related to the parcel next to the one being actioned and was a stupid effort to influence the auction. Pretty funny, it ended up being very pricey regardless.

Jurassic park.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, discussionbot said:

I saw this strategy deployed recently and personally thought it was pretty dumb. 

Well, I'd use different words for it: malicious and underhanded. 

Edited by Clem Marques
  • Like 8

6 hours ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Hmmm, odd size, G rated, ugly, but end of the day because none of the 5 bidders wanted to pay more.

It's called "Free Market Capitalism", you keep implying you're a fan of the stuff, so why question it's basic tenet, people can decide if they want to pay for something,, or NOT..

Heads up, outside of a FEW select areas, virtually ALL LL auctioned land on regions with significant LL holdings, are sold as single prim parcels.

Double prim is RARE.

It's like you guys don't know how LL land auctions work. Why is it sinbgle prim, becaue most mainland is single prim, why didn't it sell for more, because nobody wanted it bad ebnough to pay more.

LL Mainland Auctions 101

LOL

You didn't visit the site.

You haven't read all my posts.

"Free Market Capitalism" doesn't involve putting up an enormous eyesore on a lot across from prime real estate the day before an "open" auction, discouraging other buyers, then removing it after they win the auction, so no one sees it.

You ought to know better, frankly. Nothing in SL is "free market capitalism" by any stretch. God may have rolled out the sims at the dawn of time, but He doesn't keep reappearing to roll out new ones or put abandoned lots on a controlled, anonymous, non-transparent auction lol. 

There is no deed office in SL. You kids really don't understand what the rule of law is, and why capitalism needs independent judiciary and independent media to function at its best.

No, this isn't a double prim sim.

Teen Grid has a lot of easements - never understood why, probably due to low population.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Clem Marques said:

Well, I'd use different words for it: malicious and underhanded. 

It's also not something you can effectively AR because it will all be over before anyone can prove anything, although of course the Lindens have server records. But this is not the sort of crime they will prosecute.

I guess I have to wonder why people like this -- computer programmers with jobs, so they claim -- don't just buy an island or even just a homestead instead of defacing the Mainland.

I suppose it's because then they wouldn't have an audience.

and no, it's not about me wanting to buy this beaten-up "island" with terrain I hate most on the Mainland, in G, making it unrentable, and of an awkward shape to really make pretty. It's more about the principle of thething.

• Like 5

on the Mainland, in G, making it unrentable

I was always under that impression also. But most of my G rated parcels have begun finding more customers. SL is growing older 😉

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

"Free Market Capitalism" doesn't involve putting up an enormous eyesore on a lot across from prime real estate the day before an "open" auction, discouraging other buyers, then removing it after they win the auction, so no one sees it.

Hmmm, "short selling", selling shares you don't actually own, that don't actually exist, in somebody else's company, to reduce confidence, and drive down the price so you can buy REAL shares for less than you sold the FAKE ones.

Selling goods at a loss, by a large firm, who can bear that loss to drive smaller firms out of business.

And, yes, using nearby lots to do stuff that makes the target lot unattractive to other potential buyers.

These are just some of the underhand tactics used by REAL companies and speculators in "Free Market Capitalism".

You kids really don't understand what the rule of law is

Historically, something companies pay to avoid, often successfully.

and why capitalism needs independent judiciary and independent media to function at its best.

Those independent journalists and judges are SO much easier to bribe and /or buy outright!.

4 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

But this is not the sort of crime they will prosecute.

Because, it's NOT an Abuse Reportable offense to have no taste, or put up an ugly build, as long as they don't break rules about encroachment, or "advertising", or region maturity ratings, then they can build ugly on their land to their hearts content, while you foam at the mouth and rant in vain.

4 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

why people like this -- computer programmers with jobs, so they claim

Ah yes. The same old same old, all the Evils in the world are caused by people who actually KNOW how to use a computer. Or vote "leftist"

Or Leftist Computer Users.

Look out! Techno-Commies!

head-back-and-laugh.gif.c3a1cda81fae82ab6b39b148931d8d4d.gif

A lot of the Sharp continent is currently Auction Purple on the map and scheduled for auction. Whatever the demand for G-rated Mainland, there's about to be a lot more supply on the market.

Also just in passing the non-Teen Grid analog of Alloy is Palomarian: not identical but the resemblance is unmistakable. Not so much Protected land there, and Ravenglass has some presence.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Those independent journalists and judges are SO much easier to bribe and /or buy outright!.

Recently, a JUDGE of a small country of this earth, came to SL and start playing the landlord.
They offer their lands in prices  "under the belt"
The most "funny" part is that this judge comes from a country that has to pay VAT upon the LL price..
That means they need to pay approx 20% MORE than anyone else!
So, even if they pay ( or NOT PAY due to???) more they still offering cheaper than any one else!

Yay! Go World! Go Justice! Go.... Authorities!!!
WE GOTTA LOVE THIS  "F A I R   W O R L D"   WE LIVE IN ! :)

• Confused 1

Former TGer - I can't think of any reason this parcel would be significant beyond the water access and the fact that it's essentially an island. Nice space, honestly, but I can't imagine spending that much on G-rated land.

image.png.35a3474d6bc9043fa829864939666eb7.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/27/2024 at 7:01 AM, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Hmmm, "short selling", selling shares you don't actually own, that don't actually exist, in somebody else's company, to reduce confidence, and drive down the price so you can buy REAL shares for less than you sold the FAKE ones.

Selling goods at a loss, by a large firm, who can bear that loss to drive smaller firms out of business.

And, yes, using nearby lots to do stuff that makes the target lot unattractive to other potential buyers.

These are just some of the underhand tactics used by REAL companies and speculators in "Free Market Capitalism".

Historically, something companies pay to avoid, often successfully.

Because, it's NOT an Abuse Reportable offense to have no taste, or put up an ugly build, as long as they don't break rules about encroachment, or "advertising", or region maturity ratings, then they can build ugly on their land to their hearts content, while you foam at the mouth and rant in vain.

Ah yes. The same old same old, all the Evils in the world are caused by people who actually KNOW how to use a computer. Or vote "leftist"

Or Leftist Computer Users.

Look out! Techno-Commies!

head-back-and-laugh.gif.c3a1cda81fae82ab6b39b148931d8d4d.gif

Let me think. You're a Libertarian? 

In RL where you reside and no doubt work as a computer programmer, if you want to buy a piece of land, if someone puts up an eyesore across from it at any stage in the transaction, you'll be glad to have an independent judiciary and independent media to assist you in this problem, even if you aren't the type to pay a bribe. This isn't a thread about the stock market, but real estate. Er, virtual estate.

In RL, the names of those who bid are made public, so you know who engages in this malicious practice and not give them your custom (in fact they used to be made known in SL, too, but LL ceased publishing them to help the land baron class when they switched to ebay tech they got from their board member free or for a song, no doubt).

In RL, there are all kinds of silent partners and "buy and hold" types ruining one's neighbourhood with empty stores that collect graffiti and vandalism, but here's where your independent media may bring some remedy, sometimes by citizens learning of these patterns, engaging in the "law of discovery" and even getting passed a law outlawing that sort of practice. 

The US isn't Russia, but then, maybe you're in Russia. But not a techno-communist or Cosmic Engineer or some other cult but just an ordinary Reason Libertarian no doubt. 

I'm sorry I don't collect gifs and don't have a Russian gopnik gif ready at hand with three thugs merely squatting and shaking their heads in their American sportswear and sneakers, but in the reality of our SL, the "artists" took down their "art" and are now enjoying their Mainland island with some kind of medieval tent and Gorean-type props on it.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Diablo Lioncourt said:

It's pretty there now.

It's because you took the ugly art show down after you got your cat's paw to win the auction, then they gave it to you to flip for a small fee.

I mean, not you, but you know "One"

31 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Let me think. You're a Libertarian? 

Wrong.

31 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

and no doubt work as a computer programmer,

Very Wrong.

33 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

if someone puts up an eyesore across from it at any stage in the transaction, you'll be glad to have an independent judiciary and independent media to assist you in this problem

Breaking news, even in CIVIILISED countries, building ugly buildings is not against the law, nor is it under media control.

34 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

In RL, the names of those who bid are made public

Well you know who one the auction, because, the land would have been set to "for tale to [name]" by a Governance Linden, and then bought by [name]. Is that public enough?

37 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

maybe you're in Russia

Still Very Wrong.

37 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

not a techno-communist or Cosmic Engineer or some other cult but just an ordinary Reason Libertarian

Still Very Very Wrong.

38 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

but in the reality of our SL, the "artists" took down their "art" and are now enjoying their Mainland island with some kind of medieval tent and Gorean-type props on it.

People who own things get to use them the way they want, that's how the system works.

The people who wanted the land badly enough to pay for it, get to use it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Wrong.

Very Wrong.

Breaking news, even in CIVIILISED countries, building ugly buildings is not against the law, nor is it under media control.

Well you know who one the auction, because, the land would have been set to "for tale to [name]" by a Governance Linden, and then bought by [name]. Is that public enough?

Still Very Wrong.

Still Very Very Wrong.

People who own things get to use them the way they want, that's how the system works.

The people who wanted the land badly enough to pay for it, get to use it.

Your friends wanted the land so badly, that they put up a grief build to drive away other potential bidders, to ensure their win at a low price, even give that it was in G.

You can't always get inworld fast enough and move quickly enough especially if bots are involved (still deployed even when illegal). Like the truth that doesn't have time to put on its pants before the lie spreads around the world, SL land can switch hands a dozen times and you'll never know who won the auction; who got paid when and how; who flipped; to whom; to which land baron alts or end users. Yes, I see you're fine with that; I think there should be a deed office recording this (I used to keep one for one area but it got to be a lot of work.)

I personally only idly wondered if this land seemed not to get any bidders beyond $1/m would it be worth getting for a home -- I generally never play the auctions because they are always artificially bid up and the Lindens like to keep it that way.

No, I didn't want this land with this particularly obnoxious beat-up terrain look badly enough to attempt to snipe it for merely $3/m -- and merely watched the entire thing play out

You're endorsing thuggishness and crime in a virtual world to achieve a goal. I am not. I am writing about it so people become aware of it. I think especially new people should always turn up the draw, take off volume, look at claim dates and FPS, etc. etc. before bidding on the auction or buying land.

The idea that you would get away with putting an ugly edifice around land to force a sale is somehow enabled, encouraged, or legalized in Rl just shows that you never really bother to follow any local issue or possibly never had to buy real estate yourself in RL.

The reality is, yes, there are predators who buy and hold and let buildings go absolutely to the dogs to devalue an area -- I know a synagogue in midtown that was eventually left empty as its original owners aged and died and couldn't keep up the taxes. Some company bought it and waited for years and years (the history is still on Google maps) and allowed antisemitic slogans and riotous abuse take place on that lot that many people complained about, including even people in a nearby Catholic church. Then the company had the temerity to build something called "Temple Apartments' which I'm glad to say have remained empty even after COVID abated because people at least in our area saw what they did there. But at least they tried. And sometimes when some predator does this -- it doesn't work, and they get a pushback from local elected officials and citizens. 

Independent media and judiciary -- these are good things in a civil society as they can help remedy a situation like that. Not prevent it or abate it every time. But they can try. In SL you can't even really try, it's hopeless.

People who opportunistically get the Lindens to sell them abandoned land near an auction days before it ends, or who opportunistically suddenly find they have a glowing art show to display on land days before an auction is to close, may be people who 'get to do what they want on their land" but I also get to object to this thuggish tactic if I live nearby and have it all in the view -- or even if I don't. That's the part you don't get because you want "might makes right" and sheer, unadulterated thuggishness and sadism to prevail simply because it can. Perhaps you imagine that it will be on your side and never harm you. Don't call me when that turns out not to be true.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Your friends wanted the land so badly, that they put up a grief build to drive away other potential bidders, to ensure their win at a low price, even give that it was in G.

1. No friends of mine, I'm just amused by the hypocrisy.

2. I remember posts from YOU, complaining that an ex-neighbour sold their land to an "outsider" instead of offering it to YOU at a discount, and how you then put up eyesores on your parcels around the new owners plot, to drive them off or encourage them to sell  cheap to YOU.

6 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

who flipped; to whom; to which land baron alts or end users. Yes, I see you're fine with that;

I am because... It's none of MY business what land owners do with their land or who they choose to sell it to., It's THIER LAND, not yours.

9 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

No, I didn't want this land with this particularly obnoxious beat-up terrain look badly enough to attempt to snipe it for merely $3/m

Then why go on and on and on and on about how wrong it was that it went for less than L$3/m? You don't want it bad enough to pay for it?

STFU and walk away.

10 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

You're endorsing thuggishness and crime

Land owners rezzing things YOU don't like on THEIR land is not a "crime" regardless of your opinions.

People choosing not to bid more than they think a parcel is worth TO THEM is not a "crime" regardless of your opinions.

13 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

pushback from local elected officials

Nobody elected you.

14 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Independent media and judiciary -- these are good things in a civil society as they can help remedy a situation like that

"Breaking News: The Butthurt Egowh*re Weekly Gazette is shocked and outraged  that a property owner refuses to obey the whims of an unelected spokes bigot, and prominent contributor to our Letters Page, something must be done!

In related news, a member of the local Judiciary stated that they have NO POWER to try people for things that are NOT against the Law. How can this be allowed to continue?"

19 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

may be people who 'get to do what they want on their land" but I also get to object to this

Congratulations, you've exercised your right to complain. You complaint that people who don't break the Law don't get prosecuted has been noted and filed in the Trashcan. Thanks for sharing.

Move on.

22 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Perhaps you imagine that it will be on your side and never harm you

Nope, I'm just smart enough to know that independent blah blah blah wont do squat, when they have no authority over whatever.

Journalists and judges are not caped crusader vigilantes with superpowers, if they attempt to play vigilante by punishing people for "not breaking any laws" then THEY are the ones who end up in trouble.

24 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Don't call me when that turns out not to be true.

I can't think of a single circumstance where I'd need or want to call you, ever., so I won't, especially as your posting history of your career highlights as an SL landlord contain far too many accounts of you being just as bad as the people you complain about.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's because you took the ugly art show down after you got your cat's paw to win the auction, then they gave it to you to flip for a small fee.

I mean, not you, but you know "One"

I don't care about Sharp continent. I don't recommend land there for investment purposes.

If you like the look of their sims there's Islandia and color sims to also consider. I believe they're both better investments.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Diablo Lioncourt said:

I don't care about Sharp continent. I don't recommend land there for investment purposes.

I agree, the only exceptions being the double prim regions: Ni, Hyperion, Loki, Hippoden.

If someone wants a G-rated parcel for personal use, though, I think the Sharp continent is very good. Lots of nice grid edge and protected parcels available.

Edited by Clem Marques
  • Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 71 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.