Premium accounts and texture/material fees...

@Polenth Yue - Today I uploaded a texture that was 1800 X 1012. It's in my inventory as 2048 X 1024. So was that resized in the same way that a few days ago, before upgrading to the PBR viewer, I uploaded a texture that was 1800 X 1200 that is sitting in my inventory as 1024 x 1024. I'm not seeing a difference other than today's upload lists 2048. Neither one (before or after) show the actual size of the texture. 

Are we sure that the 1800 x 1012 (shown as 2048 x 1024) wasn't resized? Inquiring minds want to know. lol

Texture sizes are limited to powers of 2 (2, 4, 8... 256, 512, 1024 and now, as a new more expensive feature, 2048). There's no real mystery about the resizing: it'll round both the width and height to those powers of 2 and what you see in your inventory will be those powers of 2, the original width and height are irrelevant at that point.

You've always been able to upload larger than 1024, but the viewer always took it down to 1024. Now it uses 2048 as the maximum instead, at which point you pay extra. Resize your textures manually, don't let the viewer do it, and you get no surprises about price and quality (the method the viewer uses to resize is pretty blurry, you can easily get better results by doing it yourself).

Edited by Frionil Fang
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Ilyra Chardin said:

@Polenth Yue - Today I uploaded a texture that was 1800 X 1012. It's in my inventory as 2048 X 1024. So was that resized in the same way that a few days ago, before upgrading to the PBR viewer, I uploaded a texture that was 1800 X 1200 that is sitting in my inventory as 1024 x 1024. I'm not seeing a difference other than today's upload lists 2048. Neither one (before or after) show the actual size of the texture. 

Are we sure that the 1800 x 1012 (shown as 2048 x 1024) wasn't resized? Inquiring minds want to know. lol

You saw what I said was happening. Before, if you uploaded a bigger texture, it would be resized down to 1024. Now, it might be resized up to 2048, which means you're charged for it being larger. The solution is to resize to 1024 in your graphics program and then upload it.

11 hours ago, Ilyra Chardin said:

as we've had that ability for years now

No, you haven't.

What you had was the ability to throw textures larger than 1024 at the viewer and then watch in horror as they were auto resized to 1024 with the WORST resizing method ever devised.

11 hours ago, Ilyra Chardin said:

I've always uploaded it as 1800 x 1200 or 1200 x 1800

And that was pointless too, as SL's texture uploader auto resizes to the next lowest power of two. so your 1200's by 1800's were always resized to 1024 x 1024, for L$10, and now.

Over 1024 so upload fee is L$40, and next lowest power of two is STILL 1024 x 1024, so you are paying 4 times the fee for the same bad result you always had.

• Like 1

On 6/24/2024 at 10:35 PM, AmeliaJ08 said:

IMO the people who splurged for PP really, really got... well I can't say it but wow, the stuff that was promised was not delivered. I mean... isn't that like... fraud? I don't know, I assume there's a length terms and conditions that makes it all okay but yeah, they said they were going to offer things for free that they have not supplied.

Didn't they also promise free mesh uploads for Premium Plus like 2 years ago lol? Convenient for them people have either strangely forgotten about that promise or just don't care at this point.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2024 at 9:47 PM, SylviElle Zaftig said:

Sigh...thanks for letting us know the changes. I just booted up my PBR FS and saw that indeed it's 40L for a 2048 upload. All the clothing I make has a 15 texture/color HUD + normal spec + HUD tex + vendor tex = 190L...with 2048 it's 760L...I sell my items for normally less than 350L for a fatpack. WTF IS THIS!

Will there be a marked difference between 1024 vs 2048 textures? I mean REALLY marked difference (cuz atm, i'm not seeing any)? Also the gfx load in a crowded club with everyone wearing upwards of 10 - 20 2048 dpi textures? gahhhhh!! >.<

PS. have been on the normal Premium since 05. *bangs head on her kb*

I just uploaded some 2048x2048's, and I see no difference in the end product, I would stick to 1024's

You could always temp upload and compare the different size textures to see if it makes a difference on anything, 

2048 doll_001.png

top example_001.png

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, MadameGloom Ravenwood said:

I just uploaded some 2048x2048's, and I see no difference in the end product, I would stick to 1024's

You're not likely to see a discernible difference unless the texture is displayed on a very large area (large enough that you can see noticeable pixelation with a 1024x1024).

So, 2K textures are great for skyscrapers or mountains (although it could still be argued that smaller tileable textures would be better in those cases too) and for complex objects comprised of lots of surface area all of which use a single texture.  Very few other things really require a 2K texture unless you plan on spending all your time zoomed in on them (so no doubt we can expect plenty of 2K normal mapped skin textures in future).

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

You're not likely to see a discernible difference unless the texture is displayed on a very large area (large enough that you can see noticeable pixelation with a 1024x1024).

So, 2K textures are great for skyscrapers or mountains (although it could still be argued that smaller tileable textures would be better in those cases too) and for complex objects comprised of lots of surface area all of which use a single texture.  Very few other things really require a 2K texture unless you plan on spending all your time zoomed in on them (so no doubt we can expect plenty of 2K normal mapped skin textures in future).

That all makes sense 🙂

For what I do 1024's will always do the trick

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MadameGloom Ravenwood said:

That all makes sense 🙂

For what I do 1024's will always do the trick

Speaking as a "LEET artiste" I feel that every single pixel of my textures is a masterpiece and omitting any of them would be depriving the mere mortal residents of SL of some portion of my artistic brilliance.  Furthermore, should any residents GPU burst into flames as a result of my creations then they should feel grateful, nay honoured, to have sacrificed their hardware upon the altar of my artistic ambitions!?

Just kidding, I even try to avoid 1024 textures unless creating larger objects or texturing multiple objects intended to be used as a "set". :) 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, MadameGloom Ravenwood said:

You could always temp upload and compare the different size textures to see if it makes a difference on anything, 

2048 doll_001.png

top example_001.png

Thanks so much! ❤️ I'll stick to 1024. I don't make large scale items, just clothes, so that will suffice.

11 hours ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

Very few other things really require a 2K texture unless you plan on spending all your time zoomed in on them (so no doubt we can expect plenty of 2K normal mapped skin textures in future).

it's very imperative that my aglets be in full 2K glory.  The nuance in shading is simply lost in anything less.  Anyone who can't see this is obviously Luddite of course.

(😛😛)

• Haha 2