Pride Month In SL -- A Bad Experience

9 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

And this is why I quit twitter and basically am just stayin with FB and Insta. All this back and forth and being at each others throats, really does a number to your mental health. Especially if you get involved and either side doesn't agree with you. Good god!!! You get lambasted and attacked. 

My entire network of friends and family and co-workers and for as long as I remember have never been hostile to members of this LGTBQ+. We may not agree with their views or choices or ideaology, but I'm tired of hearing how we are 'marginalizing' them or oppressing them. It's BS and it's a lie.

But yes, the same are getting tired of the whole thing - and if people wonder why they're feeling some sort of backlash on this topic from the general public is because these groups are pushing really hard and yes are getting annoying.

It's no different than people pointing to far-right groups suddenly rising up again and becoming vocal - it's because the other side has become extreme as well - so the extreme other side must rise to balance it out.

On any topic, if one side becomes too militant and evangelist in their actions, other groups opposed will rise and with the same tenacity or greater to offset it.

In short, being more beliggerent, 'teaching people lessons', force feeding them any ideology will just turn people off and away. Everyone knows what a Bible thumper is.. it's a Christian who decides to forcefeed their beliefs onto someone else, when perhaps simply caring about the person, living as an example - practicing humility, admitting to being just as much of a scumbag at times, living in repentance, and practicing forgiveness might be a better way.

In short "Show me, don't tell me"

I don't see LGBTQ+ doing this.. It's constant war, constant propaganda, constant rainbows.. and it's not going to work.

Edited by Codex Alpha
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, CaithLynnSayes said:

No, they don't. The red part means, "one singe person". Meaning if one person says this, don't care. The blue part indicates more people would go against what i say, so that would indicate i'm in the wrong"

sorry if that wasn't clear. ;)

And yet, you said that many people would go against what you say.

Just now, Codex Alpha said:

My entire network of friends and family and co-workers and for as long as I remember have never been hostile to members of this LGTBQ+. We may not agree with their views or choices or ideaology, but I'm tired of hearing how we are 'marginalizing' them or oppressing them. It's BS and it's a lie.

But yes, the same are getting tired of the whole thing - and if people wonder why they're feeling some sort of backlash on this topic from the general public is because these groups are pushing really hard and yes are getting annoying.

It's no different than people pointing to far-right groups suddenly rising up again and becoming vocal - it's because the other side has become extreme as well - so the extreme other side must rise to balance it out.

On any topic, if one side becomes too militant and evangelist in their actions, other groups opposed will rise and with the same tenacity or greater to offset it.

In short, being more beliggerent, 'teaching people lessons', force feeding them any ideology will just turn people off and away. Everyone knows what a Bible thumper is.. it's a Christian who decides to forcefeed their beliefs onto someone else, when perhaps simply caring about the person, living as an example - practicing humility, admitting to being just as much of a scumbag at times, living in repentance, and practicing forgiveness might be a better way.

I don't see LGBTQ+ doing this.. It's constant war, constant propaganda, constant rainbows.. and it's not going to work.

You clearly didn't read my post correctly, I said that both sides are bad for going crazy over differences opinion. Both sides use buzzwords to invalidate the other person's opinion. That is what bugs me, and that is why I left twitter. I mean good god, I see a lot of people on both sides taking their Political commentator on YT as gospel. The problem I have, is the fact that a lot of people really can't think critically or even for themselves. They let media think for them. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CaithLynnSayes said:

Christiano, The way you say this isn't helping anything and is exactly my point. I'm aware you're doing it somewhat sarcastically but the "us against them" mentality really isn't as bad as you would make it out to be. I think you're focusing too much on that clown with his pickup truck and the bad things that do in fact happen. But try and look further, much further and see the rest of the people that do accept you as you are, without you having to shout it out that you are the way you are. Honestly, i truly believe this is where most of this minority's issues lie. The "thinking" that you're not accepted and when you think that, and in fact look for it, you will see it everywhere. It's not a healthy way. I say this because i care.

Its like racism... if you believe racism is everywhere in everything , you will see it everywhere, in everything.

The fact that "micro agressions" are such a big thing these days is proof that real racism doesn't exist

2 minutes ago, Codex Alpha said:

Does this mean your "entire network" doesn't have members of "this LGTBQ+"?

19 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

well gee, dont deface the streets with pride symbols and people won’t do burnouts on them.

I asked Luna, now I’ll ask you, where are all these examples of gays being beaten up. We already did Matthew Sheperd, got another one?

A lot of the pride crosswalks have been put by cities and organizations in primarily gay neighborhoods. Your logic is pathetic.

Do your own research on violence against LGBT people. It has been a hell of a lot more than just Matthew Shepard.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, CaithLynnSayes said:

The "thinking" that you're not accepted and when you think that, and in fact look for it, you will see it everywhere. It's not a healthy way. I say this because i care.

Can I ask what part of central Europe you live in?  This could affect your views, as things are likely much different in the States.

In the US the Southern Baptists are big (especially where I live) and they are presently trying to remove all women pastors because they believe only men should be leaders. They also rail against gays being accepted.  So it's not, as you're saying, all in our heads -- the discrimination is there.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:
16 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Yeah, my scripting is more fulfilling than this. But it's hard to look away from a trainwreck, as they say.

And this is why I quit twitter and basically am just stayin with FB and Insta. All this back and forth and being at each others throats, really does a number to your mental health. Especially if you get involved and either side doesn't agree with you. Good god!!! You get lambasted and attacked. 

I'm working on growing a thick skin. I LIKE it here! Weird, huh?

6 minutes ago, Cristiano Midnight said:

I appreciate that, but I have to respectfully disagree. Gay people do not have to go looking for lack of acceptance and outright discrimination. It is ingrained in them from the time they are young children, especially if they start to show any signs of being gay. It is far more insidious and widespread than you may think.  It does get disheartening. There has certainly been a lot of progress made in some areas, but for many communities, not much has changed. I am lucky in some ways, as  a bisexual, I navigate both worlds so I have avoided a lot of the worst of things. I have friends who have not. One was just walking home from work the other day in LA and had a slur shouted at him, I am sure you can guess which one. You want it not to get to you, but it does. It can sometimes cut quite deeply even if you don't want it to.

Maybe this is a cultural thing that is happening more in America. Here we are much more tolerant in general towards this minority. But then again, and this might be unpopular to say, LGBT people here aren't as loud and "in your face", so maybe this is why i make this conclusion, which isn't a far fetched one, to be fair. But then again, rainbow-colored crosswalks have started to appear here in the past few years, but that's just politicians pandering to as many groups as they can, obviously.

I'm aware of what i just said, and maybe in the entire thread, may be triggering to some. but i ask that you look at the context. I speak of part experience and part of what i see happening across the pond. I make logical conclusions.

3 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Can I ask what part of central Europe you live in?  This could affect your views, as things are likely much different in the States.

In the US the Southern Baptists are big (especially where I live) and they are presently trying to remove all women pastors because they believe only men should be leaders. They also rail against gays being accepted.  So it's not, as you're saying, all in our heads -- the discrimination is there.

If a private organization wants to set its own rules and standards for its organization, that's their business

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
added words

4 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Its like racism... if you believe racism is everywhere in everything , you will see it everywhere, in everything.

The fact that "micro agressions" are such a big thing these days is proof that real racism doesn't exist

I thought you blocked me? ;) 

I knew you couldn't live without me.

8 minutes ago, Codex Alpha said:

We may not agree with their views or choices or ideaology, but I'm tired of hearing how we are 'marginalizing' them or oppressing them.

The bolded part is an example of marginalizing.

Being LGBT is not a "choice".  Being LGBT is not an "ideology".  Those are false ideas that are spread to marginalize the LGBT community.

You can DISAGREE and say it "IS a choice", or it "IS an ideology", but that does not make you correct.

Nobody can take away your right to say it is a choice or ideology, but sadly, it just reflects ignorance by stating it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:
4 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

If a private organization wants to set standards for its organization, that's their business

They are in positions of power in government is the problem, and so their beliefs will affect all people.

6 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

They are in positions of power in government is the problem, and so their beliefs will affect all people.

This isn't the 50's, gays are not persecuted and marginalized, they have the support of the government, the press, and the corporations. Kinda hard to be marginalized when all the big institutions  supports you, and the individuals that don't support you are too afraid to speak up

pride.png

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
added picture
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

4 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Being LGBT is not a "choice".  Being LGBT is not an "ideology".  Those are false ideas that are spread to marginalize the LGBT community.

You can DISAGREE and say it "IS a choice", or it "IS an ideology", but that does not make you correct.

Nobody can take away your right to say it is a choice or ideology, but sadly, it just reflects ignorance by stating it.

I didn't choose to have Gender Dysphoria, I mean do I wish I didn't have the mental issues that come with it? Yes. But I am making the best of a bad situation, how I choose. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

You clearly didn't read my post correctly, I said that both sides are bad for going crazy over differences opinion. Both sides use buzzwords to invalidate the other person's opinion. That is what bugs me, and that is why I left twitter. I mean good god, I see a lot of people on both sides taking their Political commentator on YT as gospel. The problem I have, is the fact that a lot of people really can't think critically or even for themselves. They let media think for them. 

I think I was adding to your post, not really taking issue with it.

7 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Sure, i'm Belgian. Well, i'm a weird mix actually. I'm half Icelandic half Belgian. You're right, i just posted exactly this as a response to Crisitiano. I'm sure my culture is much different to what yours is. But i also know quite a few of Americans and they do tell me that even the ones that "hate" this minority, are a minority in themselves.

I'm aware of that church. I've seen images and video's of them standing at intersections with signs. Quite funny.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

If a private organization wants to set its own rules and standards for its organization, that's their business

See this is where I see hypocrisy, people will say that. But then get mad at say a church, for flying a pride flag or having a more LGBTQ-centric congregation 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:
8 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

This isn't the 50's, gays are not persecuted and marginalized, they have the support of the government, the press, and the corporations. Kinda hard to be marginalized when all the big institutions  supports you, and the individuals that don't support you are too afraid to speak up

https://www.hrc.org/press-releases/roundup-of-anti-lgbtq-legislation-advancing-in-states-across-the-country

7 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

So ignore the rest of the post, and nitpick on some words or phrases that personally trigger you.

The context of my post are 'choices in life', 'decisions', 'belief systems', 'things people promote'..

when you cherry pick a phrase out of an entire post and react to that, then the context is lost.

Would you like to continue to argue the meaning of words now, acting like I don't know the words I use, and why.

You could also consider acting more in good faith by ASKING "Is this what you mean by..." rather than just jumping to an accusation before allowing someone to clarify.

• Haha 1