Too Soon?

10 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I've often wondered about the appeal of Soviet-era iconography for griefers and hacktivist types, very few of whom, however "progressive" they might see themselves, would subscribe to either Soviet ideology or its murderous and repressive expression on the ground.

I suspect that what is being parodied are actually the stereotypes that came from the West, from the 50s through to the 70s at least. You know, jokes about "the Seven Brave Tractor Drivers" and such, not to mention Communist Chic.

No, in my experience they definitely have the shabby ideology that goes along with the "glorious" Soviet past. Notorious griefers of SL often used Soviet memes precisely because they could be hugely destructive and also get a rise out of people schooled in anti-communist ideology. 

1 hour ago, Prokofy Neva said:

No, in my experience they definitely have the shabby ideology that goes along with the "glorious" Soviet past. Notorious griefers of SL often used Soviet memes precisely because they could be hugely destructive and also get a rise out of people schooled in anti-communist ideology. 

And yet . . . the ones who were griefing me fairly consistently until last year were using pseudo-Soviet iconography, while simultaneously attacking my parcel and group for its supposed "Communism." One of the signs they erected over the entrance to the parcel, for instance, read "Communism Is Boring."

I find it hard to believe that some of the more active members of WU were in any shape or form "Communist," if only because I'm far from sure they had a reading level above about Grade 5. But they certainly loved their Soviet references. (I suppose that might have been in specific response to your own interests and expertise, however?)

/me shrugs

As someone whom as participated in RP combat as both "good guys" and "bad guys", I say go for it, and have a ball with it. Heck, I sometimes use a Soviet fighter jet as a stand in for the Firefox, if you know that movie.

Just please don't paint up an F-4 Phantom and try to pass it off as a Mig-29! >_< Otherwise, we'll get on fine. XD

On 6/4/2024 at 12:08 AM, Love Zhaoying said:

have you ever thought of making a cyber-tank from some dystopian future - like 10-15 years from now when AI has taken over?

BORING!

Make a Luther Arkwright Landship.

3288101.jpg

Who doesn't like insane gigantic steampunk landships?

49 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

BORING!

3288101.jpg

Can we have one that walks on giant legs, like in the "Wild Wild West" movie?

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Can we have one that walks on giant legs, like in the "Wild Wild West" movie?

You need special skills to drive one of those properly, like this guy. And a sound knowledge of "Mechanology"

MV5BMDlhZGRkNGYtMGNmOS00NmIxLWIwYmItOWE1

Edited by Zalificent Corvinus
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

You need special skills to drive one of those properly, like this guy.

MV5BMDlhZGRkNGYtMGNmOS00NmIxLWIwYmItOWE1

A prototype for Meta (he is, unfortunately, legless IIRC).

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/6/2024 at 2:11 PM, Prokofy Neva said:

It's funny how people don't take the same view about glorifying or even kitschifying the Nazis as they do the Soviets, although the Soviets mass-murdered way more people and their ideology also lives on, often given a pass because of its ostensible anti-fascism credibility.

Actually, they do. It's just way less visible because people in general, especially in the west, are horrified or outraged when they find out someone is a fan of, say, the SS, and has a collection like the neighbor in American Beauty.

I just like old Soviet stuff because it's connected to my own family's history, and I'm not of German descent or whatever (it was still Prussia when any of my peeps really hung out there), like those other people who are big fans of "that nazzy stuff".

It has nothing to do with my ideology, honest. It has nothing to do with anything other than me discovering my family had concealed its origins, and looking into the history of the culture they were so ashamed of and afraid to reveal, and deciding I'm okay with where I came from, and having fun with blowing it up and making it walk around all zombified as part of my pixelated hobby time.

Edited by PheebyKatz

Posted (edited)
On 6/6/2024 at 2:44 PM, Love Zhaoying said:

When I was a kid school in the 1970's, boys would draw swastikas and Nazi tanks, etc.  They apparently had no clue that Nazis were the "bad guys"; or didn't care.

I'm sure any young people who get into Soviet culture today (tanks, etc.) are the same way. (NOT referring to the illustrious @PheebyKatz.)

If the kids in my 5th grade reading class had known I was actually Russian-American, I would actually have been cool, and not the outcast nerdling. In our school play they all wanted to be the KGB agents, so they could wear their Members Only windbreakers and sunglasses on stage and talk like Boris Badinoff..

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, PheebyKatz said:

If the kids in my 5th grade reading class had known I was actually Russian-American, I would actually have been cool, and not the outcast nerdling. In our school play they all wanted to be the KGB agents, so they could wear their Members Only windbreakers and sunglasses on stage and talk like Boris Badinoff..

Exactly. Kids seem to think the "bad guys" are "cool".  Thanks, Disney! * shaking fist at cloud *

"Boris Badinoff" takes us WAYYYYY back ("Rocky and Bullwinkle").

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I actually have a lot of fun with my ethnic heritage(s), as anyone knows who's met me inworld. It might be corny, but whatever.

One of my personal RP scenarios concerns a post-apocalyptic Soviet Union full of zombies, and anyone who isn't a zombie has to use rusty old crap to try and fend off the zombies. Good thing I was in the Pioneers, before everything fell apart! I know how to maintain a PPSh-41!

There's no actual regime left, but the few surviving citizens don't necessarily know that. This leaves it open for a sort of "cargo cult" to form, waiting for the Partisans to arrive and make it all better, when nobody is really coming to save anyone.

If that sounds fun, you oughta see what I do with the Transylvanian side of my family's history, circa 1600. And I have relatives that got representation in that old silent movie about witches, too (Häxan).

As a child, I bore a strong resemblance to Eddie Munster and I own it, it's okay. I'm just a slav. I can have fun with it.

I'd crack my favorite Stalin joke, but he might be listening somewhere. You never know.

*peers around anxiously*

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

BORING!

3288101.jpg

I may have to make one or two of these now. Post-revolution that would've been considered too bourgeois to pass, but the Tsar would've wanted them, I bet.

Edited by PheebyKatz

15 hours ago, PheebyKatz said:

I may have to make one or two of these now. Post-revolution that would've been considered too bourgeois to pass, but the Tsar would've wanted them, I bet.

I mean, in an alternate history such a land-ship would have gone well with something absurd like the planned and ultimately scrapped Palace of the Soviets. :)

I also have a roleplay setting in my head (based on a friend's paragraph-length sketch of it) where I'd want to use props with Soviet iconography, so I'm all in favor of such things being available. 

Posted (edited)
On 6/8/2024 at 4:06 AM, PheebyKatz said:

Post-revolution that would've been considered too bourgeois to pass, but the Tsar would've wanted them, I bet.

You didn't know the Soviet Era included a monster tank with about 5 gun turrets and enough crew to hold a party crammed inside?

It's not QUITE as bad as the French Char 2b, but...

Smiling "Uncle Joe" would have *LOVED* a Luther Arkwright style Land-Ship

Edited by Zalificent Corvinus

On 6/8/2024 at 10:05 PM, Zalificent Corvinus said:

You didn't know the Soviet Era included a monster tank with about 5 gun turrets and enough crew to hold a party crammed inside?

It's not QUITE as bad as the French Char 2b, but...

Smiling "Uncle Joe" would have *LOVED* a Luther Arkwright style Land-Ship

Oh, they'd not have balked at the concept, I was just thinking that anything decorated with naked ladies wouldn't have been acceptable, because decorations like that weren't economical, utilitarian, and mechanistic enough to fit their esthetic.

A moving castle? sure. A moving castle with art on it? No.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, PheebyKatz said:

A moving castle? sure. A moving castle with art on it? No.

Don't think of it as "Art", think of it as "Propaganda".

Soviets with chiselled physiques, waving hammers and sickles, big stars surrounded by wreathes, all that, perhaps a bas relief portrait of smiling Uncle Joe himself!

Especially if the Landships are few in number with "historic names".

"Potemkin", "Red October". that sort of thing..

5 m high on the sides of a 200 ton Landship.

DSC3056-1024x683.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Don't think of it as "Art", think of it as "Propaganda".

Soviets with chiselled physiques, waving hammers and sickles, big stars surrounded by wreathes, all that, perhaps a bas relief portrait of smiling Uncle Joe himself!

Especially if the Landships are few in number with "historic names".

"Potemkin", "Red October". that sort of thing..

5 m high on the sides of a 200 ton Landship.

DSC3056-1024x683.jpg

THAT, yes. Naked ladies, no. They'd have to be robed and holding tools.

But yeah, you're right. It would have to serve a "higher purpose" than "mere" art.

Now I'm really tempted to make rolling fortresses covered in art, I mean, propaganda.

You inspire me, Zal. Everyone should be frightened by this fact.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, PheebyKatz said:

THAT, yes. Naked ladies, no. They'd have to be robed and holding tools.

But yeah, you're right. It would have to serve a "higher purpose" than "mere" art.

There's a "higher purpose" than inspiring the troops? TIL!

17 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

There's a "higher purpose" than inspiring the troops? TIL!

Don't get me started on the glory of boobies, you know what I meant, lol.

28 minutes ago, PheebyKatz said:

Don't get me started on the glory of boobies, you know what I meant, lol.

Maybe I do, but the purpose of noods on military planes, bombs, tanks, etc. has always been morale AFIK!

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Coming Soon to my MP:

Mobile fortresses with inspirational boobies.

EDIT: The boobies will double as ordnance. I always wanted boobie rockets.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

image.gif.5b8f7a0af26a4b2c252bdf77d76fab48.gifAustin Powers did it!

I saw it in the old G-Force cartoons when I was little. The Aphrodite Unit had boobie rockets. How they kept replacing themselves must have been TV magic or something, because she fired an awful lot of them.

ERxP4XpWAAAxbtV.thumb.jpg.5577a6f543501829150d99010d4f8686.jpg

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, PheebyKatz said:

Coming Soon to my MP:

Mobile fortresses with inspirational boobies.

EDIT: The boobies will double as ordnance. I always wanted boobie rockets.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaa, I want them all, just added you as a fave store so I am ready!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1