The Cornfield status

• 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

Isnt the cornfield where LL used to send temporarily banned people? I always thought that was hilarious.

Yes, left with nothing with which to amuse themselves besides a tv, a tractor and an "endless" sea of corn.

secondlifecornfield.jpg

"Sometimes when someone is suspended for a short time they are sent to the cornfield," Linden Lab's Senior VP of Community and Support wrote on the official Second Life discussion forums yesterday, adding that building the cornfield didn't require any significant development work and reassuring the community that "Once someone is permanently banned they are no longer welcome in Second Life, anywhere, including the cornfield."

As promised, Nimrod Yaffle was teleported into the middle of prison simulator, finding a tractor in front of him and the eerie rows of corn. "I was laughing the whole entire time I was there," he told me. "But in a way, I was also worried that the children of the corn were going to get me…it would be great if the Linden's made scripted children there." Yaffle was disappointed at the "insanely slow" pace of the tractor, and bored by the only channel available on the televisions–a presentation of the 1940 film "Boy in Court," about a troubled teenager on probation trying to avoid a life of crime.

(original article from 2006 Misbehavior in Second Life game punished by exile to "the corn field")

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 6/19/2024 at 10:09 PM, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

Isnt the cornfield where LL used to send temporarily banned people? I always thought that was hilarious.

Oh wow... #til

The few times I've played there... I was always laughing after playing for ten minutes! I never used a BoMesh avi there, always arrived in a bald headed system avatar with shadows off to help keep things speedy FPS wise.

• Like 1

On 6/19/2024 at 10:24 PM, Fluffy Sharkfin said:
On 6/19/2024 at 10:09 PM, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

Yes, left with nothing with which to amuse themselves besides a tv, a tractor and an "endless" sea of corn.

I'd be afraid of running into "The Children of the Corn".

image.jpeg.31cbbd8649e669049fbcece135b11c9b.jpeg

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Speaking of "cornfields", I learned about a new term yesterday, "corn plating". 

@Scylla Rhiadra, are you familiar with "corn plating" yet? (A new term used in literary criticism, etc. originating with a scene in the movie "Encanto".)

I haven't run across it in any literary or cultural criticism, although if it stays current long enough I'm sure it will. Academics are at least a year behind, in part because of the time lag between writing and submitting, and actual publication.

I think it started more or less as a joke on Twitter?

11 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I think it started more or less as a joke on Twitter?

Pretty much, saw a great analysis of its meaning and origin yesterday on TikTok (from a professional literary criticism education, I think).

If you "cornplate" then it means you dug far too deep into something's meaning (like the original Twitter post pointing out the image from Encanto). "Sometimes the curtains are just blue."

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

If you "cornplate" then it means you dug far too deep into something's meaning (like the original Twitter post pointing out the image from Encanto). "Sometimes the curtains are just blue."

Yeah. Critics do that sometimes. And students certainly do.

My favourite example was a critic who noted that the dinner that Virginia Woolf's Mrs. Ramsay (from To the Lighthouse) was preparing for dinner guests, boeuf en daub, involved a "blending" of ingredients, and that this somehow reinforced her significance as someone who was trying to bring different people together to "blend" them into a community. He cited the recipe as support for this argument.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I'd be afraid of running into "The Children of the Corn".

image.jpeg.31cbbd8649e669049fbcece135b11c9b.jpeg

I see my reputation has preceded me.

I do like the cornfield game, and I'm glad I never got banned to the cornfield as was possible previously, because I might have become addicted to sitting around watching TV with the tractor, and that would have led me to misbehave.

Also, Perry Como. Just saying.

IYKYK

19 minutes ago, PheebyKatz said:

I see my reputation has preceded me.

I do like the cornfield game, and I'm glad I never got banned to the cornfield as was possible previously, because I might have become addicted to sitting around watching TV with the tractor, and that would have led me to misbehave.

Also, Perry Como. Just saying.

IYKYK

Green Acres.

ETA: You ARE corny!

Edited by Love Zhaoying

On 6/20/2024 at 2:09 PM, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

Linden stopped doing this, same as they stopped doing the Police Blotter.  The blotter and cornfield prison both ended up being treated by miscreants as game leaderboards which created more issues for Linden Governance to deal with than not having them

ps also.  Used to be able to drive the Cornfield tractor.  Jump on it and try run over any other miscreants who got sent there. And try run over AnySilly Linden who came there to tell you off for running people over with the tractor. Dunno why some Linden staff in those days thought being a social worker was part of their job description. Altho to be fair there was the whole Linden TAO thing going on at the time also - somehow a online virtuality could somehow create a more socially-ordered humane and compassionate society. A noble aspiration for sure but problematic given how people can  be when shielded by anonymity

pps. I won't exactly mention the person by full name but first name like skipping last name like lois (but not). Anyways one day he started live posting over the street that he been imprisoned in the Cornfield. How it was really boring and lonely and sad, and could other people start committing some crimes so they could get sent to cornfield and he wouldn't be so lonely and sad. Most people respond with umm! nah! and everybody was pretty much cracking up and laughing. And he was was all like you people are so mean. Was pretty funny the whole episode. Not funny tho at all for the people who he had been griefing

Linden now into sentencing miscreants to home detention. Like at their own RL homes. Which is far better I think. Anonymous Miscreant gets the hammer and done

Edited by elleevelyn
typs
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...