Watched a banned AP RP set up in an Adult group

Posted (edited)

A fairly innocent post, a response from someone interested, then slightly more detailed, another reply, and then silence. I assume they took it to IM, or maybe to a secret skybox in the sky. She was obviously under 18 in her profile pic, he was a mature man

Was I offended? outraged?  incensed? Did I scream at them that what they were planning was illegal, immoral, and could get LL shut down?

Did I report them?

I was slightly amused at the exchange, but that was it. All I could think was, you do you, but be careful.

LL better get their 24/7 real time chat monitor working, because that's the only way they will stop illegal AP,  because I certainly won't help them.

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
fixed words, changed words

4 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

LL better get their 24/7 real time chat monitor working

If they do that there will be mass outrage.

No one will care if it's to catch a pervert.

Screw up on privacy and this whole mess comes falling down, because if we can't feel safe talking in SL, we wont.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

She was obviously under 18 in her profile pic, he was a mature man

10 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

All I could think was, you do you, but be careful.

There are many things I could say, but . . . you do you, I guess.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• BilliJo Aldrin changed the title to Watched a banned AP RP set up in an Adult group
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

This post is for effect.  I doubt it even happened.

LOL yep, people never set up AP scenarios in adult groups

I don't need to make stuff up, I was sharing my response to seeing it happen.

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
aded a line

Just now, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I don't need to make stuff up, I was sharing my response to seeing it happen.

And you did a real service, BJ. A*eplayers everywhere salute you.

They now know they can feel safe with you.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Just now, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

Just because it can, doesn't mean it did.  You just want another drama thread because your other one slowed down.

Then report the thread if thats what you think.

Another one for the block list 😂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

And you did a real service, BJ. A*eplayers everywhere salute you.

They now know they can feel safe with you.

We have no way to know if this may or may not be real, if it happened, or even if those involved are breaking any rules when they do hook up.

Speculation about apparent potential crimes is not evidence or proof of crimes, AP or otherwise.

Playing cop and reporting each other is a very short road to no where good.

Just now, Coffee Pancake said:

Playing cop and reporting each other is a very short road to no where good.

BJ obviously thought it was a case of a*eplay, assuming it did even happen.

Playing cop, as you put it, is the only way of preventing SL from becoming a hell hole of illegal, shady, or toxic crap, which would eventually result in SL being abandoned by most residents or shut down by someone else.

How else exactly do you think we should respond to this sort of thing? Who will stop it if we don't?

And if we don't, you are leaving LL with no alternative but instituting the kind of invasive "proactive measures" you most fear.

Winking at illegality when we see it isn't doing SL or any of us any favours.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 5

5 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

BJ obviously thought it was a case of a*eplay, assuming it did even happen.

Playing cop, as you put it, is the only way of preventing SL from becoming a hell hole of illegal, shady, or toxic crap, which would eventually result in SL being abandoned by most residents or shut down by someone else.

How else exactly do you think we should respond to this sort of thing? Who will stop it if we don't?

And if we don't, you are leaving LL with no alternative but instituting the kind of invasive "proactive measures" you most fear.

Winking at illegality when we see it isn't doing SL or any of us any favours.

Lets be really clear here.

The OP observed no crimes.

Having a poor choice of profile pictures during a hook up is not illegal.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Lets be really clear here.

The OP observed no crimes.

Having a poor choice of profile pictures during a hook up is not illegal.

You know who could be sure?

Governance.

But apparently they'd never know if you have your way?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

You know who could be sure?

Governance.

But apparently they'd never know if you have your way?

Calling someone Daddy? Questionable profile pictures? Bad avatar? Short girl tall guy?

Nothing concrete, nothing that's actually a violation on its own, but just to be "safe" .. you know, from whatever ..

image.png.2e0a54b89a1c88f86d993dd38e9dd548.png

1 hour ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

A fairly innocent post, a response from someone interested, then slightly more detailed, another reply, and then silence. I assume they took it to IM, or maybe to a secret skybox in the sky. She was obviously under 18 in her profile pic, he was a mature man

Was I offended? outraged?  incensed? Did I scream at them that what they were planning was illegal, immoral, and could get LL shut down?

Did I report them?

I was slightly amused at the exchange, but that was it. All I could think was, you do you, but be careful.

LL better get their 24/7 real time chat monitor working, because that's the only way they will stop illegal AP,  because I certainly won't help them.

I thought Firestorm had end to end encryption on chat.  I guess that doesn't work in group chats?

45 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Calling someone Daddy? Questionable profile pictures? Bad avatar? Short girl tall guy?

Nothing concrete, nothing that's actually a violation on its own, but just to be "safe" .. you know, from whatever ..

image.png.2e0a54b89a1c88f86d993dd38e9dd548.png

Short girl in ponytails, smacking bubble gum through her braces, wearing a school uniform, bent over teacher's desk while she lisps, "Please sir, I'll remember my homework next week"?

Could be anything, really, couldn't it? Why jump to conclusions? Just live and let live! "You be you!"

This is always going to be about judgement, Coffee. Hopefully people will use it intelligently. And yes, your conclusions might be different than mine.

How fortunate then that, if I send in a report and get it wrong, LL's Governance team will have access to the sorts of information that I don't have, and will be able to make an informed decision.

It's utterly insane that, on the one hand, you don't want LL using invasive "proactive" policing (and I'm with you on that), but on the other you don't want residents availing themselves of the AR system to report possible or probable violations when they see them. I'll repeat what I've said before: I'll take resident-centred "community policing" any day over a surveillance society or roving bands of LL cops.

Or, do we just shrug and give up on enforcing the ToS entirely?

Serious question: what's left if you don't want to settle for either option? Do we just let everything slide because, on the one hand, we don't want LL snooping around, and on the other, we don't want to be snitches?

How do you enforce the ToS then, Coffee? How do you "govern" SL so that it doesn't become a known haven for a*eplayers, griefers, etc.?

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Not enough information there to draw any conlusions, much less AR as Scylla would do in a hot flash.  

Was this on a G, M, or R-rated region?  Was it on a D/d or D/S region?  The actual conversation would also help, just don't ID the avatars here.  I assume you can tell the difference between flirting and a proposal for a sexual act?  Maybe the silence was when the girl was quoting her rates.   Did the man say, Oops wrong box, after his post?  Local chat is public and recorded by the region owner.  Was this a club or beach?  A newbie landing spot has this going on all the time.  Might have been a newbie from IMVU.  

SNOPES says: 50% chance it's False.

Edited by Jaylinbridges

3 minutes ago, Jaylinbridges said:

Not enough information there to draw any conlusions, much less AR as Scylla would do in a hot flash.  

Was this on a G, M, or R-rated region?  Was it on a D/d or D/S region?  The actual conversation would also help, just don't ID the avatars here.  I assume you can tell the difference between flirting and a proposal for a sexual act?  Maybe the silence was when she girl was quoting her rates.   

SNOPES says: 50% chance it's False.

It's a hypothetical, Jaylin. BJ clearly believes, or wants US to assume, that this was a case of a*eplay.

I haven't ARed anyone or anything that wasn't actively griefing my parcel in 13 years.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I haven't ARed anyone or anything that wasn't actively griefing my parcel in 13 years.

Thank god, I won't TP away when I see you then.  Even if you are a friendly looking dog.  Meow

It's been a few days since a new age-play topic started.  The weekend is here, so just in time.

Edited by Jaylinbridges

14 minutes ago, Jaylinbridges said:

Thank god, I won't TP away when I see you then.  Even if you are a friendly looking dog.  Meow

No one who isn't actively and obviously causing real harm to someone else in my presence need worry about an AR from me. And, as I say, I haven't had a case like that in over a decade. So, no, I'm not going to be running around hunting down a*eplayers.

The question, as I say, is hypothetical. If, in our best judgement, we see a case of a*eplay, do we do anything about it? Or do we wink and look away?

And yeah, it's always, as I say, going to be about judgement, unless one finds oneself in the unlikely situation of tripping over them going at it on the road. Some have good judgement, and some less so, of course. But Governance ensures that that shouldn't matter too much because they have access to information we don't.

I'd be very cautious about ARing someone myself for a*eplay -- it would have to be pretty obvious. But if in my judgement, that was what was happening, I certainly would, because without ARs the entire governance system here falls apart.

OR we end up forcing LL to do the policing for us, which would not be pleasant for any us.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

OR we end up forcing LL to do the policing for us, which would not be pleasant for any us.

In BJ's hypothetical (or true) example, reporting them with no evidence would cause Goverance to investigate them by snooping into their past and future chats, their locations, their attachments, their groups, etc. All AI type of work you say is not pleasant and seems to invade Residents' privacy.   Both parties were apparently consensual and Adults.  One of them did not send an AR because something was forced.  I would think Goverance would rather investigate cases where one party was harmed or under stress.  Inference from 3rd parties without any facts seems more like a police state to me.  Oberwolf said be careful, play smart, and don't publically embarrass SL.  He didn't say spy on everyone looking for something suspicious to AR.

Edited by Jaylinbridges